Home

Musical Instruments

Moon Roach

I dislike a wide variety of modern bands. It would probably be easier to say what I don't like rather than what I do like. I don't really have very strongly fixed taste in music, I like a variety of bands/artists over a broad period of time.

So here goes.

Joe Satriani

Steve Vai

*shock* Both basically play just extended solos but I don't care...

Soundgarden - yes they don't even exist anymore but they're still great and if I remember now the bass part is prominent in a lot of their songs.

Tool - though I haven't heard much of their stuff

Metallica

Foo Fighters - only some of their stuff

If I thought for a bit longer I could probably come up with some more. It's easier for me to say if I dislike something that if I like something.

Originally posted by Alien426

Seeing how most of the bands you named are pretty bassy (and quite new and good) ones I wonder how you could make a statement like "don't even notice the bass" in the first place.

Uh, he's a moron?

Although I am a fan, I think Radiohead get far too much credit.

Yes, they are talented, and can do many things with instruments that are innovative, inspired and refreshing. But that doesn't necessarily make the music brilliant. And the metaphorical content in the lyrics seems to bring the obsessives off. I admit they are sometimes clever, but, please. They're nothing special. Go read some poetry if you want metaphors.

Radiohead obsessives disgust me. Obsession is never healthy.

Admit it. You don't love them for their music. You love them because they're pasty faced geeks like yourselfs!

Thom Yorke is nothing but a drug addict in denial.

'Carl Shutt' Shut up.

When I think now I can remember the bass but it's just sticks out less than the normal guitar parts. I think it's just the frequency rather than the volume.I do notice I just have a screwy memory.

From what little I've heard of tool there are bass solos... well more duets with the normal guitar.

Will wonders never cease? A RH fan who doesn't have his head up their arses or his lips firmly planted on their buttcheeks. Well maybe a little unfair but anyway...

Roach, I missed your post from much earlier. The lack of portability is a major problem for me, but it's also a pain in the ass to take out and just play. It's also just not that fun, in my opinion. A guitar you can really just mess around with and make good sound, but a cello.. eh. It's hard to describe.

You are wrong, PTDC. Listen to music more closely or using different treble/bass settings. At least you didn't tell him to 'shutt up', though.

My friend taught me some bass chords, and I learned a Subhumans riff! I agree with GC... it's true, if you can play the guitar you can have a basic idea of how to play the bass, but to be a professional bass player you must develop your skills on the bass (independent from the guitar).

merc> What about Woody Allen, he plays the cello. I don't think he liked it either.

Are PTDC and scabb related?

Anybody ever tried a fretless bass or guitar? I've heard it's fiendishly difficult because you have to put your fingers exactly where the frets would be rather than in between them.

I've found out something interesting while looking at some guitar/bass sites. The guitar sites tend to mainly have tabs and little or no music theory or technique, but the bass sites tend to have a lot of music theory aswell.

Perhaps more bassists want to be serious musicians? I know there a lot of people who want to learn to play a few songs on guitar just to show off.

I found that once I started to learn a little music theory I started to play better.

Duh. Bass usually doesn't use chords, so tabs or typical sheet music works fine. Guitar chords are difficult for beginners, and therefore tabs are popular for people learning the basics of guitar.

Tabs are also used when covering older game music properly, as each instrument could only play one note at a time, as opposed to a series of notes that produce one note's sound.

I think the discussion wether guitarists can play a bass guitar or not is kind of stupid. Any theoretically trained musician can play pretty much any instrument if you give him/her about an hour to get to know the instrument. Not saying that the person will be a good player.

>Anybody ever tried a fretless bass or guitar? I've heard it's >fiendishly difficult because you have to put your fingers exactly >where the frets would be rather than in between them.

I've tried playing a Six-stringed frettless bass. It's not that hard. Different but not very hard. No classical string instruments have any frets and I don't see anyone saying that the violin ish arder to master than the guitar.

>I've found out something interesting while looking at some >guitar/bass sites. The guitar sites tend to mainly have tabs and >little or no music theory or technique, but the bass sites tend to >have a lot of music theory aswell.

>Perhaps more bassists want to be serious musicians? I know >there a lot of people who want to learn to play a few songs on >guitar just to show off.

This I agree with. Many guitarists just pick up a guitar and start learning for themselves and diss theory. Of course they can do it that way if they want to but they're hardly going to become great writers or players.

Originally posted by Mr. Teliot

Any theoretically trained musician can play pretty much any instrument if you give him/her about an hour to get to know the instrument. Not saying that the person will be a good player.

Anyone can pick up an instrument and play it.

Not saying that the person will be a good player.

The advantage to learning musical theory is that you aren't just restricted to guitar tabs or music for the guitar. I can read music and play it on the guitar but at the moment I have to write it down in tab form first rather than sight read it.

The fretless bass is one of the most beautiful instruments ever created.

Frankly, I'd prefer it if displaying my affection for Radiohead didn't get incite references to me inserting my young nubile cranium into my anal cavity, thankyouverymuch. I never said I was obsessed with them, and frankly I didn't even know that they were pasty-looking brits until I'd already fallen in love with OK Computer. And what the fuck is up with saying they have "too many metaphors"? First off, I don't think you should be criticizing they're music for trying to have "too much depth", and besides, most of their lyrics mean precisely zero, or have meanings very personal to the lyricist.

Seriously: "I float down the Liffey/I'm not here/this isn't happening"

ergo

Thom Yorke had a dream where he was floating down the Liffey. He follows this with some apprehensive denial lyrics and follows in that vein. The song is about little else than a feeling of "dear God, this can't be happening".

What the hell is the painful metaphor?

And how exactly is Thom Yorke in denial? I think he's fully aware of the amount of drugs he does.

I hate to admit it, but I haven't dealt with sheet music in so long I'm forgetting how to read it. I need to start practicing more. All in good time.

Originally posted by Doubleplus GC

And what the fuck is up with saying they have "too many metaphors"? First off, I don't think you should be criticizing they're music for trying to have "too much depth", and besides, most of their lyrics mean precisely zero, or have meanings very personal to the lyricist.

I didn't say that all the songs had metaphorical lyrics. Nor did I say that they sucked. Nor did I criticize RH for having too much depth. What I meant, was that I don't worship them because they can write poetry.

Originally posted by Doubleplus GC

And how exactly is Thom Yorke in denial? I think he's fully aware of the amount of drugs he does.

I didn't say self-denial.

I didn't say self-denial.

GC didn't say self-denial either, he was disagreeing with your earlier comment: "Thom Yorke is nothing but a drug addict in denial." Even if he had said self-denial, which he didn't, that would be exactly the type of denial insinuated by your comment.

If he's a drug addict in denial, what would he deny other than his abuse of the drug? And since it is HIS abuse of the drug that he is denying, it is SELF denial.

Archived