Home

anyone else agree that CMI wasn't that great?

kng863

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Wossname

If someone wants to make Monkey Island 5, they should tattoo on the back of their hands the words "Is It Piratey?".

I agree 110%

With the current state of the gaming technology, we should be seeing MORE piraty stuff, not less. I mean, back in the MI 1 & 2 games, technology had so many limits that only a handful of people could populate the tri-island area and most of those were "locked" to their screens. EMI showed that characters could start to move around more, like Elain going door-to-door, tourists walking around, etc.

With that in mind, MI5 could very well take out the goofy Monkey Kombat cop-out and let Guybrush enlist a bigger crew, buy himself more than a fishing boat with attitude, copy the CMI cannon-firing sequence, except this time with moving targets (I'm not referring to CMI's ship-to-ship combat, but to the "shoot the rowboats full of skeletons" combat) then, after the enemy ship (or Guybrush's) is immobilized, a cutscene boarding sequence, complete with rope swings, gangplanks, etc, and then a whole deck of enemies to fight, allies and enemies all running around under AI control.

Guybrush then challenges (or is challenged by) random enemies, bringing back the good ol' insult swordfighting sequences while his crew does the same. The game decides what AI's win or lose randomly, and once guybrush is finished with one fight, he's free to pick the next guy. The battle ends, of course, when either side loses all its men, either returning guybrush & crew to their ship defeated or "Aha! I've got yer booty!" being declared by our hero. Ship and weapon upgrades then ensue - be it returning to port or claiming the enemy's more powerful cannons as prizes.

It could all be done with great humor, as has been seen in the CMI/EMI ship battle cutscenes, but would definatly give a mre piraty feel than an Austrailian landgrabber in the Carribbian who is defeated by Oriental martial arts.

Just my opinion,, of course.

I never liked the expansion of Insult Swordfighting into Insult Everything. Insult armwrestling, I mean c'mon. In wasn't that bad, I didn't mind it that much when I was playing, but Ozzie Mandrill was said to be going around insult fighting people in anything to get there property. I thought it was good that it wasn't in the 2nd one, and then the third one had it again which was ok. It needs a break everynow and then. EMI just took it over the top.

EMI tried to please fans by going back to it's monkey roots, and in some areas it succeeded (in some of the humour), but it lost a lot of pirateyness, it was too bright and cartoony. Sure, CMI was cartoony, but it still looked like it had bit of that pirate mystique that the first 2 had. I understand that some of it was supposed to be bright that way, because Ozzie was turning it into a tourist trap, but I didn't like that style of cartoon with monkey island.

Originally posted by Oystein

What in the name of an insane manatee are you talking about, Dalixam?! Did EMI fix the weak plot in CMI?! I don't think so! The plot in EMI was even weaker. I mean, a crazy Aussie turning the Caribbean into a tourist-heaven! If that doesn't ruin the MI-universe then what does?

At least there WAS a plot in EMI. I agree it's pretty "out there", but it still beats the one in CMI. It has a good story that unfolds in a nice pace with a few plot twists and surprises. Part II in CMI is also pretty much a copy of MI1: Get ship, map, and three crew members. Not much story originality. EMI at least covered these areas pretty quickly. (Another thanks to Sean and Mike.)

Again, I agree that the plot in EMI is not piraty enough, but it's still much better than that in CMI. EMI's plot has an interesting story. CMI is just a lot of puzzels to solve without much story progression.

Archived