Home

A very disapointed fan

Kryllith

Originally posted by Darth Joka'ar

OK. First, fring air with blaster is common sense. Since they choose to make Star Wars RTS, they should have make it movie based. OK. Fine if they couldn’t follow the movie based.

I can think of one reason why AA troopers were designed. While it's certainly possible that one can shoot a fighter with a hand blaster, it's just as possible that it won't do any damage to it. It never did in the movies (at least, not enough to hamper the ship in anyway; it might have been different with the heavy repeater cannon). I guess they figured shooting at a ship with a hand blaster is like the speeders shooting blasters at the AT-ATs in the movie, simply not powerful enough to affect it. Rocket launchers on the other hand...

Kryllith

Someone please show me one instance in any of the movies when any body ever did any damage to anything larger than a speeder bike with a hand laser.

For that matter, let's also rig it so that the airspeeders do zero damage to GE mechs... "that armor's too strong for blasters!" then give them a harpoon upgrade.... :atat::atat::atat:

Bottom line: your issue are not so much with their design of the game, but with the limitations of the engine. You keep mentioning StarCraft but StarCraft had their own thing going on (unless they used the WarCraft engine... any help?). The bottom line is that GB is an AOK clone and always will be. It still r00lz.

They do need to make the civs more distinctly different, tho...

Originally posted by Kryllith

I can think of one reason why AA troopers were designed. While it's certainly possible that one can shoot a fighter with a hand blaster, it's just as possible that it won't do any damage to it. It never did in the movies (at least, not enough to hamper the ship in anyway; it might have been different with the heavy repeater cannon). I guess they figured shooting at a ship with a hand blaster is like the speeders shooting blasters at the AT-ATs in the movie, simply not powerful enough to affect it. Rocket launchers on the other hand...

Kryllith

Hey, I saw the droid on the ground shot down the Clone Aircraft in Eps II.

Originally posted by WORF

Bottom line: your issue are not so much with their design of the game, but with the limitations of the engine. You keep mentioning StarCraft but StarCraft had their own thing going on (unless they used the WarCraft engine... any help?). The bottom line is that GB is an AOK clone and always will be. It still r00lz.

They do need to make the civs more distinctly different, tho... .

Well, U get point. I was having some issue with the limitation. But most of it was the game play. For me, the game play of GB and CC doesn’t even have the exciting feel. As I mention a hundred times about having different civ should have different strategy on different civ.

As me again if choosing between AoK engine and Command & Conquer engine, I rather have it on C&C. Don’t u get it, AoK is for those game which require advancement from ancient to modern. In Star Wars, the civilizations have already advanced to a stage where no advancement was noticeable from Eps I, II, VI, V, and VI. It doesn’t rule with AoK engine.

Well it's distinctly possible of course, that they might be able to hurt it, but on the overall they probably won't (the Falcon and Slave II didn't seem to suffer being hit). Course it could also depends on the ship. Ships with shields or armour upgrades probably wouldn't be affected at all. The gungan air units, on the otherhand, probably would seeing as they're biological creatures. If they can be healed, then I suppose blasting them could hurt them, though I'd still keep the damage to a minimum. Btw, I didn't see the droid shoot down the fighter in Ep. II; I'll have to keep an eye out for it now. :)

I agree with you on the advancement levels, to a point. I tend to look at it this way. If this is a new colony settling on a planet (like in a RM game) then it may only have basic materials for starting out. As time goes by, they gain the ability to produce bigger and better things. Think of it perhaps as though the tech level represents supplies (plans, electronics, or whatever) that reach the colony at the completion of the research. With the new info/technology the colony can then do more with the raw materials it originally had, until eventually it has the ability to do it all (effectively an established power, rather than just a colony). Colonies spread throughout the galaxy on a minimalist level, the primary technology kept behind to ensure both the defense of the main civilization and the prevention of a small colony losing all it's technological secrets to current inhabitants that may will wipe it out quickly. When the colony has proven its ability to maintain a certain level of power, then more techs became available as the home civ feels the colony is capable of defending itself (and possibly incapable of expanding if not granted higher technology). Granted, this is simply justification, but it works. And, of course, if you want to start with more technology you could just start the game at a higher tech level... :)

Kryllith

Hmm.

I think I might have seen a droid shoot down a clone lander... but was this a completely ordinary Super Battle Droid/Fed Battle Droid Blaster Trooper, OR was it armed with some kind of rocket launcher (ie AA trooper)... I think it had a rocket launcher. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hmm.

No advancement noticeable? Right. Sure. So you failed to notice aircraft becoming availiable? Mechanized armies appearing? Heavy weapons? Fortresses?

Sure, it's not as much of an "age" difference like in AoK, but it's a different situation isn't it.

The actual effects are practically exactly the same as AoK. New techs, upgrades, units, etc...

Hmm.

Different strategies? Unless you play with "all techs enabled," this is a definite YES. The fact is that each civ has their own strengths and weaknesses- Naboo strategy is Air strafing runs, raids, etc, Republic is hordes of clones and uber Jedi, Empire is mega destructive Mech power, Gungan is sea strikes, etc....

And of course everybody has their own personal strategy. Just because some units are the same doesn't mean that two players are going to play exactly alike!

CorranSec....I think the poster meant that in the movies there is little to no tech advancement noticeable over time. I disagree, as I think the tech in the original trilogy is considerably different looking and builds upon the prequel tech quite nicely

Many bugs seem to be popping up. Posts getting rearranged, dates changing, posts disappearing and reappearing in different places...

We all generally live in different places. It's a little hard to all be online at the same time.

Oh, and I noticed, this is getting a little off topic.

Is this forum one of those forums where sometime soon the mods shall come and destroy us with their magical powerful Forceful Modly powers?

Originally posted by Darth Joka'ar

What had happen to my thread?where is has been moved? Why is Kryllith is the poster now?:confused:

It's a glitch in the system. Numerous posts made yesterday were dated 3/15/02, and since this thread originated after that, it put my thread at the top of the list instead of down where it should be. I imagine it was a result getting the forums moved to a faster server. In any case, all the posts are still here, they're just a little disorganized...

Kryllith

Archived