Home

Creative team needed

GBJackson2

Hello, all.

For a while, I have been toying with the idea for a JK2 moviemaking project that would use the game's own internal cutscene feature to present the "movie."

The goal is to create the characters and premise for an ongoing series of such movies.

The working title of the series is "Chronicles of the Rebellion" and the first release would be "Episode I - A Twist of Fate"

I have some of the characters figured out and the basic plotline is simple:

Durring the Episode IV - VI era, we saw Luke, Han, Leia and the others who made up one particular cell of the Rebel Alliance. But surely there must have been others whose actions and sacrifices contributed to the grander cause of the Rebellion in the Galactic Civil War. Chronicles of the Rebellion follows one of these cells.

While I am fully capable of writing the details surrounding the characters and events of the proposed series, I do not have the time or the skills to bring them to the public. I therefore have no choice but to attempt to recruit skilled individuals to help make it happen.

I am asking for the following people for the project:

Set Architects (level designers)

Scenic Artists (2D Texture Artists)

Costume Department (Skinners)

Prop Department (3D Modelers)

Producers (Scripting coders)

Actors (voice talent)

The events of the overall story touch on, but do not directly involve events from Episodes 4 - 6, so we won't be stepping on anyone's toes.

Anyone remotely interested in helping to get this project off the ground, please message me.

Thank you all for your time.

I find it difficult to believe that not a single one of you is at least remotely interrested in something like this. If you are one of the twelve individuals who actually took the time to read the post, and you are curious as to what direction I'd like to take with this project, please PM me. I'll be happy to talk to you about it.

By the way, I posted something like this to the forums of theforce.net and got some good feedback. Mainly from people who would be interrested in doing voices.

Think of the opportunities we could have. Our own vision of the events paralleling the classic trilogy as well as our own vision of the EU as it applies to the characters and situations we'll be creating. The goal is not to alter the feel of the Star Wars saga, but to offer sort of a spin-off from those events.

George Lucas calls Star Wars "Modern Myth". Well, all myth has its own branching stories. We've seen the resolution of the destinies of the Heroes and Villains of Lucas's story. There is enough depth to the background that the we can theorize how other people in the Star Wars universe lived with and reacted to the events spawned by the Galactic Civil War between the Empire and the Rebellion.

We can tell those stories using a medium that, by design, encourages it.

And if a cease and decist order comes from one of the Dark Lawyers of the Sith, then we'll comply. but, as I see it, what I propose is no different than what is being done with all those Star Wars fan films that are out there. Only we don't have to worry about long drawn-out periods of lightsaber effects editing, CG animation and all that that makes those projects take so long. All this project needs is people who know how to make the JK2 version of the Quake3 engine dance to whatever tune they want to play, so to speak.

The laws and bounds of our stories shall be the events established in Episodes I - VI. Beyond that, we may improvise provided that we do not contradict anything official.

The Characters of the official saga shall not be used, except in reference or to demonstrate where, precisely, in the time frame we'll be using, events are taking place. For example, the plot of Episode I of Chronicles of the Rebellion has the main character arriving at the Mos Eisley cantina just as Han Solo is exiting after blasting Greedo, which is in the opening scene. And to keep in line with Lucas's vision, Greedo will shoot first.

Anyway, I'd like to see just how far we can go with this thing, so Let's discuss it in this thread. Please don't just pass it up without at least voicing your opinion of it.

Thank you for your time

While I have nothing to contribute to your project, since I can't skin, model, map, or script, I would love to see your movie get finished. One of the best things I loved about Quake were the movies. I believe Jedi Knight had them too. It's a shame no one does anymore of those.

HellFyre69

By offering your support and gathering as many people in the JK2/Quake3 editing community as you can, you can help build the team. That way, you will be as much a part of the team as the people who will actually be building the "films"

Chaynsaw

The same goes for you. Your support and interrest will help a lot.

I am in the same boat with both of you. I do not have the skills in any of these areas, but I know that this community has a lot of talented people who do. I'm offering them a chance to use their skills in a new way.

I've also been thinking that we could, if someone has access to a computer with an output jack on their video card, convert each episode to a video format so that even those without the game can see the finished product. That may raise copyright issues with LucasArts and Raven, though. But, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

If either of you, or anyone else reading this, knows someone with the skills listed in the innitial post of this thread, please ask them to get in touch with me through this forum or its PM feature. I'll make a recruiting run myself tomorrow when I get off work.

Thank you for your interest, guys...

go to the Multiplayer Strat forum and read "need help with movie project" there are alot of peeps there that already make movies, me being one of them. Althought that is all I know how to do, make and record demos, convert to screens to avi to wmv or Divx. Also I dont think being rash and stating that "I can believe out of the 40+ people blah blah blah is going to help your cause. Being patient and nice will get you help not getting angry when you dont get immediate replies.

Surely there must be someone else who has read this out of the 40+ views it has received who at least think it's an interresting idea. Or maybe you hate the idea and don't understand why I bothered posting it. Ask me.

Let's get some sort of discussion going about it.

Garnering support is one of the rather hardest things about projects. You need to find like-minded people, supply the creative force entirely by yourself, or both.

I might suggest you do a little reusing of levels, or maybe check around for existing levels and ask the authors if you could perhaps... use one.

That may well be part of what ends up getting done. It would be similar to how a movie production crew does location scouting, finds the locations that fit closest to the mental picture of how a scene should look in its environment. Then they obtain permission to film there.

In this case, I could hunt through the massive number of maps that have been created, catalog the ones I think would fit a location for a scene and then e-mail the author for mermission to use the map with the promise of credit as if he were a part of the project itself.

Of course, some elements will have to be modified, for example, the removal of placed NPCs and items that shouldn't be in the shot.

However, reusing characters will not be wise, since we would want our main characters to be unique.

Occasionally, we'll be introducing new ships and speeders and static decorations for areas. These will require a prop department consisting of 3D modelers.

So even with the canibalization of maps, the project will require a creative team to be successful.

Want not try doing something small first, i bet you could do a recreation the the saber battle between jin obi and maul without much difficulty ( The mods,Models,skins,and map already exist) and then convert it to an Avi to start some buz and rally some more people. ( i myself have skined, but i am by no means skilled, if you want proof you can check the totti skin :S)

You have my thanks.

Patience is the greatest tool for things like this. That and perseverence.

Seven years of patience and perseverence allowed me to become administrator of actress Ariana Richards' internet fan community, and her Director of Relations governing her official film and television web site.

Compared to that, this project is trivial. But I love JK2. I love Star Wars. I love Star Wars fanfilms. I thought this would be a good way to make a tribute to all of the above in one action.

If people take an interest in this concept and want to see how far it can go, great. If not, Oh well. At least I can say I tried.

zerowingzero

That is an idea. Except that by doing the Episode I duel, I would be just copying what Lucas did. I may take an arena that is available online and work on a Master/Padawan training session.

I don't have that great of a speaking voice, but I can do the dialogue for it just to give some semblance of life to it.

I've been looking for an excuse to get my hands dirty with working with the editors. I guess this is it.

Thank you for the suggestion.

No, really. Hey, if we could start small, we could sort of turn this into a training wheels kind of project, you know.. before we actually figure out and get involved in the grand project you have.

How about an original film short that won't take too much effort? We can all take a shot at learning how to skin, or mod, or map, or script.

No objections here. We have our first set designer, and I have requested that he do a bar set like a Nar Shada tavern. Perhaps we could experiment in that environment. It seems that bars attract every type of character in the SW universe :)

I like the idea of this approach.

Unfortunatly i cannot help you guys as i am caught up in 2 projects at the moment:(

I'm a dab hand at cutscenes though (my current single player project has loads of cutscenes some of which about 4-5 minuites long) and i'll be writing a tutorial soon with some example maps provided.

Hopefully this should help you all get started:)

Eagle_e7

========

Sorry for not responding sooner. The automatic e-mail notification feature of this forum did not automatically notify me of any replies. Otherwise, I would have.

I look forward to your tutorial and its sample maps. It should be very helpful.

And in the event that you become available, I would like to extend an invitation for you to join the Chronicles of the Rebellion team.

Thank you for your interrest.

If you want I can help. I am busy with the ROTJ TC at the moment doing all the cinematics.

I can do mapping and such but I would probably only have time to do scripting. If you want to see a cinematic test I did (just a quick test - nothing fancy) check it out at http://www.liquid2k.com/rotj/testwalking.pk3

You can e-mail me at ultimatezeus@hotmail.com

Archived