Home

Does JK2 Work with AOL?

razorace

Uhm, it works. AOL one of the largest ISPs in the world. Although I havent tried to get on JK2 with AOL personally, I'm sure if there were a real problem someone would have spoken up before now. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, its not AOL, its your buddy's computer.

I highly doubt that with AOL, you'll get anything below a 300 ping with the Q3 netcode... it isn't very kind to 56kers, nevermind AOL users.

As for getting it to work at all... I would think you'd be able to a play a bit. But I'm not speaking from experience, as I won't touch that thing with a 42 foot pole. ;)

Mindless AOL bashing aside...

A bunch of the students at the Academy are AOL users. If you get an IP address you should be able to play fine. What errors are you getting from the game?

Time to clear up AOL misconcessions:

Your max connection rate is not 26,000 baud. Connection rate depends on line quality, your modem & your ISP's modem. AOL uses 56k modems most of the place if I remember right.

It is true that you get a kind of hand-me-down internet connection though. It's not the best & you'd be better off with a real ISP, but your game should work.

Originally posted by Psionic Jedi

Just cause AOL is a large ISP doesn't mean it's gaming friendly.

I never said it was "gaming friendly". I simply stated it was large...quite large. Which means out of its millions of customers, some of them probably play jedi knight. Since theres never been an issue of JK2 not working with AOL, this is obviously an isolated incident.

My guess is, this guy who cant get JK2 online probably has restricted access. AOL's "parental controls feature"...lol. Thru my work, I encounter customers with this problem because theyve been restricted to "aol only" content. Thats probably whats messing him up too.

wuts wrong with AOL!!?

In fact i used to use netzero!! yes!! free internet (now they started charging so I got cable..bah! dam netzero) i got 150 ping in ut!! and guess it wut.. at that time Netzero was FREE... so AOL should be enuff for JO.. AIM has nothing wrong.. In fact AOL is dying(Sadly)... more and more ppl are getting cable/dsl so A lot less ppl will be using it

Originally posted by HellFyre69

wuts wrong with AOL!!?

In fact i used to use netzero!! yes!! free internet (now they started charging so I got cable..bah! dam netzero).

Man, #### netzero. I remember when they used to run TV commercials saying "internet should always be free" and "free is the american way". They sold out big time tho. Net-Zero needs to rename themselves to Net-Nine-Ninety-Five.

Dear unfortunate AOL subscriber's friend: (as quoted from Game Revolution)

Yes, JK2 should work with AOL, but depending upon which service your friend subscribes to, it may or may not turn into a serious problem where gameplay is concerned. Luckily, JK2 isn't that much of a bandwidth hog as compared to games like, say, Tribes 2, but for the long run, I would say get another ISP. You owe it to your friend; AOL sacrifices many of the features of a basic ISP in lieu of a dumbed down interface that preaches user friendliness.

And as for Netzero, Juno, or their alliance - I tried them, and all I have to say is: bah. Half the time I ran the service, not only was it slow.... but ads killed my games every 3 seconds, and added more spyware than KaZaA and Warez sites combined. :eek:

Trust me, get a good ISP for your friend; it's an investment that his gaming addiction will surely thank. :D

Archived