Home

Star Wars Galaxies (A dent in the pocket?)

BdFmsiurine13

It just goes to show ya... time is money. No matter what you want to do, just to stay alive. It all will cost you: to sleep, eat, be entertained, etc...

I just hope there will be some kind of non-online version of the game. That would totally suck if the only choice would be to pay, I like to have some solo missions also.

• 4 months later...

Hey friends, this is the master of motocycle, the Poll Cat!

I think that Lucas Arts has been brilliant in the quality of games they have been puttig out. Especially JK2 :D

Another Great Game is on the Star Wars Horizon and it is the online juggernaut called Star Wars Galaxies. There is no doubt in my mind that this will be an excellent game that will revolutionize online gaming forever! ~Pause for the majestic feeling to settle in.

It looks cool, and it has a great concept, but will I fork out 60$ and an additional 15$ a month to play it? The chance of me doing so is less likely than the Red Sox winning a world series (Im sure all u Red Sox fans are like this right now.):attack2: "How dare u insult the Soxxxxx! Die Bantha Fodder!"

Back on topic though, I feel that the price they are asking for SWG is way out o line with what the general gaming public is willing to pay.I might be wrong though, please share your opinion on price tag of Star Wars Galaxies. Will u Pay?:confused:

Power to the People! , c ya :speeder:

People will pay..its only $2 more than DAOC and AO..so 2 bucks more aint bad..heck I was ready to pay 20 bucks

Think about it..I have friends that pay $140 to kill themselves with a pack a day smoking habbit

Me paying $15 bucks a month to enjoy myself and not Die..isnt too bad i think

It may work out in the little country on the other side of the sea....USF? USE? I can't remember the name...

Here in the real world, with a no ADSL and expensive rates per hour, NO-ONE will pay 20 dollars!!

I guarantee ya!

Most of us maybe manage 2-4/week each evening, it's not worth it!

And you guys wonder why CS is popular?

CS? I don't wonder why its popular..but I would much rather play DOD :)

Anyway I assure you plenty of people will play $20 bucks a month for it...and in my real world I have cable..I would pay $20 for it

Remember your paying for Wide scale server maintnance...Very Large Servers..power to run those servers...staff to look after the servers...staff to handle customer service in game(GMs ..ect) Staff to handle Customer service out of game(tech support) a place to put all that staff and the servers...the huge Ammounts of bandwith for the servers...the develpoment staff that must work hard to keep the game fresh and the addons comming..the person who does the website and forum updates...and im sure I missed a bunch of stuff...people don't understand that MMORPGs are not run on some collage kids tricked out rig running linux

Venik, of course you are right!

But everyting has been free on Internet so far. It will take a while to get used to that everythings costs.

But what do you do when every site costs money? There you have the biggest enemy to Internet. People are gready! Pay-possibilites are not secured and so on...

First shall I pay for Internet-traffic, then for every site I'm on!

That will be expensive...

It all comes down to how much you want the product.

Compare it with SMS for youths here in Europe...Every d-m kid is sending 60 SMS per day for about 0.15 dollars, thats 6 dollars each day times 500.000 phones (in Sweden that is)

EVERY DAY!

Don't get me wrong, somehow, we must pay for the sites, but you will probably loose many surfers.....

By the way: What is DOD?

If you pay these people to play you will only pave the road to a point when all MP online gaming will be at a cost to the consumer!

Whats next will they be doing credit checks on gamers before they are allowed to play? lol You people are sheep is you actually pay to play you games on-line. YOU BUY THE GAME then playing it should be free. Paying someone to let you play the game the YOU PAID for is dumb. If you have to pay to play it the game should be free.

uhm excuse me but the Zone has pay to play online games already and they have thousands and thousands of people that fork out the cash. I dont really think these posts will change their minds. Its gonna be either pay on not your choice they will not care cause I am sure they did the research and thousnads will pay up. Myself HELL YEAH IM GONNA PAY FOR IT ! It will blow the sox of Asherons Call

Originally posted by Captain Hagen

By the way: What is DOD?

Answer: Day of Defeat, another Halflife mod. Judging as Sierra has milked this franchise dry, it came as a great shock to me that they killed off Dynamix way back when, thus putting all their eggs in one basket where FPS games are concerned.

Small comfort that they're now trying to reconcile Tribes 2 by appointing *their own hand-picked* staff to a new team. :(

As for Star Wars: Galaxies.... I think I'll get it for the sole sake of being able to fly a ship in a MMORPG (after a few patches, mind you) and be able to etch out a living as a bounty hunter. That alone is enough to draw me from my FPS norm to their game.

However... if Planetside and Galaxies come out the same week, I'm gonna be screwed where choices are concerned. :rolleyes:

Me paying $15 bucks a month to enjoy myself and not Die..isnt too bad i think

Gotta watch out for those PC related injuries, my friend. :compcry:

As for Galaxies, of course I'll buy it, and of course I'll pay, I have to. It will be awesome though, so in the long run it won't matter. Although I do think they are loosing a great deal of customers by doing so. Only diehard fans will go for it. It won't be like the Sims Online if they don't charge for that.

Galaxies isn't like an online FPS. It's a continous world, there are support staff like GM's, people constantly fixing and adding new content to the world, etc. A FPS isn't like that at all. That's why you pay a monthly subscription fee for a mmorpg, and not for an online FPS.

And people will most definately pay for this game. Look at EQ, DAOC, AC, UO. Those games have tens of thousands, even hundreds of thousands of players paying a monthly fee for them. And they've been paying, and playing them, for years. It's no big surprise that a new mmorpg will have a subscription fee. It's a nominal fee at that. $15-20 a month? If you play only a few hours a week, it still breaks down to a pretty cheap cost per hour. What other type of entertainment can you get for cheap? If you buy a single player computer game, pay $50 for it, and beat the game after 20 hours (that's a long time, too), it cost you $2.50 per hour to play it. Assuming the game doesn't have much replay value. Now, take an mmorpg. You play 2 hours a day, 4 days out of the week. 32 hours a month at $20 a month comes to roughly $.60 an hour. And that is minimal play time for an mmorpg.

It is cheap, any way you look at it.

munik ..... u have to fork up $60 upfront for galaxies 2

also if a hundred thousand of people are paying $10 a month ..... thats A MILLION DOLLARS A MONTH to the company!!

think that might pay for more than a few addons and a few staff

ID EXPECT A SOLID GOLD CD FOR THAT!! at least!

so $10 dollars is greedy

thats in addition to the 6 mill they payed to get the game in the first place!!

its F-ing ridiculous

Originally posted by Poll Cat

The chance of me doing so is less likely than the Red Sox winning a world series (Im sure all u Red Sox fans are like this right now.):attack2: "How dare u insult the Soxxxxx! Die Bantha Fodder!"

er.........i agree! how dare you insult socks!

Anyway, im not gonna fork out all that dough for it...noooo way! :D

Originally posted by Darth Clem

munik ..... u have to fork up $60 upfront for galaxies 2

also if a hundred thousand of people are paying $10 a month ..... thats A MILLION DOLLARS A MONTH to the company!!

think that might pay for more than a few addons and a few staff

ID EXPECT A SOLID GOLD CD FOR THAT!! at least!

so $10 dollars is greedy

thats in addition to the 6 mill they payed to get the game in the first place!!

its F-ing ridiculous

I'd expect well maintained servers, competent GM's and support support staff, game patches, quest/item/character upgrades, etc for my $15 a month. I'll definately pay for it. You kids may not want to hear this, but the days of free Internet services are over. Aside from kind folks like the LF Network, etc who pay out of pocket to run these forums, jkii.net & everything else we enjoy you are going to see more and more payment required for internet services? Why? because it costs ALOT of money to maintain the bandwidth, servers, support, etc required for you to have a good time with your service. The late 90's saw sites getting paid for by advertisements based on the frail hopes of various marketing scumbags that this would somehow generate cash. The business people have learned their lesson, now we need the average Internet user to realize this as well. Theres no such thing as a free ride. If you dont want to pay those prices then dont play the game. Its as simple as that.

Be glad you can play SWG, I can't for the simple reason of money probs.

Before you can tell me to get a job, I'm about 13 and I don't get a weekly allowance thing at all. I have to earn it and the pay is no way near 15 dollars a month. (Let's just say it's less than 50 cents for most jobs, with the exception of the weekly vacuum cleaning, which is $1.05.)

If you have any ideas, dont flame me.:p

Originally posted by NerfYoda

You kids may not want to hear this, but the days of free Internet services are over. Aside from kind folks like the LF Network, etc who pay out of pocket to run these forums, jkii.net & everything else we enjoy you are going to see more and more payment required for internet services? Why? because it costs ALOT of money to maintain the bandwidth, servers, support, etc required for you to have a good time with your service. The late 90's saw sites getting paid for by advertisements based on the frail hopes of various marketing scumbags that this would somehow generate cash. The business people have learned their lesson, now we need the average Internet user to realize this as well. Theres no such thing as a free ride. If you dont want to pay those prices then dont play the game. Its as simple as that.

Exactly why multi player gaming for me has ended for me and I am now going to focus all of my gaming time on (single Player) RPGs, unless like NWN they have free multi player support, and even then I will not be likely to make use of it often because there are just to many faggot 11 year olds (not meaning anything towards Tyrion with that remark) on the internet.:( :(

Originally posted by Guardian Omega

Be glad you can play SWG, I can't for the simple reason of money probs.

Before you can tell me to get a job, I'm about 13 and I don't get a weekly allowance thing at all. I have to earn it and the pay is no way near 15 dollars a month. (Let's just say it's less than 50 cents for most jobs, with the exception of the weekly vacuum cleaning, which is $1.05.)

If you have any ideas, dont flame me.:p

Mow lawns or wash cars? If you're in the north shovel your neighbours driveways in the winter.

I would pay the $60 for the game itself, but hell no would I pay a cent a month to keep playing it. Its not that I dont like the game or whatever, but I think it sucks to pay monthly to play a computer game that I own. Especially the way I am with games. I dont play one constantly, I usually switch between games and may go a month not playing one. It makes the games last longer too. Then I will pick it back up and keep going from where I left off. Besides, I have enough bills every month, I dont need to add a playing computer game online bill a month to that. :guiness:

Hmm, I don't think I'll be able to ean enough money (I'm still living with my parents, and they won't buy games or anything for me.) In addition, my computer isn't good enough to play it anyway (it's not good enough for JKII, either.) However, I believe that game will be revolutionary (especially in the SW fan community.)

As for paying for web pages, Gamespot.com just lost a viewer. I used to go there almost every day until they came out with the payment bull and then I just stopped. Forever.

Archived