Home

Front-End for ScummVM (MacOS X)

superqult

I've made an application which works as a front-end for ScummVM. It will only run under MacOS X. Instead of all the hassle with terminal commands etc., just launch this application, select your game and press run. Simple as that. You only have to locate scummvm and the folder containing the data once, after that you can just launch and run. That's three mouseclicks :). I find this application very useful myself, and I hope that someone else will have any use of it. The application can be found at:

http://w1.864.telia.com/~u86428755/scummvm_frontend.sit

Please try it out and tell me what you think. Many OSX users seem to have trouble getting ScummVM to run, I hope this helps a bit.

Good one, man! I tested it and works fine for me :) Sure it will be useful for more people.

I thought about doing such a thing, but I'm very occupied at the moment with Lixoo's design, so I postponed it. Now we have a good front-end!

then lucky me for doing it first, because now you can concentrate on lixoo. i'm really looking forward to lixoo! by the way, the address for the frontend has changed to:

http://melancholyprotection.cjb.net/superqult_software/scummvm_frontend.html

i've also made some minor changes to the application. soon i will get started with a new version which works with the scummvm config file instead of its own preference file. stay tuned.

i could easily make the application add a save path to the scummvm config file. but i won't do that until i have made the whole application use the config file. until then, just add the savepath to the config file, and it will be automatically used every time you play.

(savepath=/any/path/you/like)

I'll stay tuned, of course ;)

Just one "feature request" (not very important, though): may it be possible to add an option to choose where to put saved games? Maybe you can set the proper environment variables just using one of the exec() variants (one of them can be used to set env. vars.)

• 4 weeks later...

I think many people had trouble with the MacOS X ScummVM because (well I couldn't find it at least) there's no mention in the readme that the damn thing is a command-line only application. I felt foolish when I was informed of this. I thought older builds of MacOS X ScummVM had a small GUI in them. Maybe I'm totally mistaken.

Originally posted by Jake

I thought older builds of MacOS X ScummVM had a small GUI in them. Maybe I'm totally mistaken.

Actually, you are thinking of the old Carbon version, which did (because system 7/8/9 can't DO commandline applications ;)

I think a lot of people have been turned off entirely to ScummVM as a project because of the time investment it takes for the average joe to get it up and running. I think you've sat on building a standardized front end for too long personally, but I'm sure one will get added eventually.

Originally posted by Jake

I think a lot of people have been turned off entirely to ScummVM as a project because of the time investment it takes for the average joe to get it up and running. I think you've sat on building a standardized front end for too long personally, but I'm sure one will get added eventually.

Yeah yeah.

We're working on one right now actually, but we've had a lot of other stuff to work on recently, to make LucasArts happy. (Everyone else will hear about that in good time :p)

Archived