Home

What is the "Force"?

Luke Seaswimmer

Perhaps those who are well-versed in the Star Wars universe can enlighten me.

Just what IS the Force? And how do you become a Jedi?

In "A New Hope", Obi Wan said (I don't remember exactly) that it is something that permeates the universe, both within and without our bodies.

In "The Phantom Menace", Qui-Gonn introduced us to "phlogiston" or something like that.

Are Jedi warriors born, not made? That is, only people born with enough "phlogistons" in them can be Jedis? The rest of us have to be content to stay on the sidelines, unable to even just touch the Force?

Or is it more like a combination of effort and talent. Similar to, everyone can play basketball, but it takes talent to be a truly great professional basketball player. So, everyone can be a Jedi (providing they train hard for years and years *_* ) but to be a truly great Jedi master, you must be born with a high level of "phlogiston" in you.

Thanks in advance, guys.

The force is an energy field that surrounds us, binds us, penetrates us, etc, etc., blah blah blah. Midi-chlorians are only an indicator that someone is strong with the force. A child is tested early in life to see if they have a high midi-chlorian count. If they do they are taken and trained. If at a certain age they are found strong enough to be Jedi, they are taken as Padawan Learners where they are trained by a full fledged Jedi Knight/Master. If they are not chosen to be Padawans, they often will go to work in other force sensitive professions. Such as healers and farmers for the Jedi order.

Or at least that's how I understand it. :)

The force flows through all things. It is generated by all living things and it binds the universe together. Droids, starships and other in-organic thing can never use the force.

Few organic creatures can realy control the force, they are called force sensitive. Some force sensitive people aren't aware that they can control the force but seem to have great luck, some name thier ability some kind of magic, and some are jedi/dark Jedi and can fully understand the force. Non force sensitive types can, rarely, channel the force in times of eXtreme stress or emotion (old grandmother lifts bus of grandchild).

Originally posted by Murdoch

The force is what puts the spam in the can.

Hah well said. The force has always been here, always will. It's like gravity. It affects all of us, it binds us to our planet. It has a similarity to Christianity if you use the metaphor as Christ is the Force and such.

Well one of the reasons that Lucas introduced Midi-Chlorians was to get rid of the idea that you had. Not saying it's a bad idea, I'm just saying that a lot of people thought that anyone can use the Force. Lucas put Midi-chlorians in because he wanted to show that only certain people can tap into it, only a select few have that gift. Personally, I think that Midi-Chlorian count affects your potential to be a great Force user. If you have a high count, but don't train, then you won't be very profficient with the Force, and vice versa. However, I don't think someone with a low count, no matter how much they trained, could be as powerful as say Mace Windu, or Yoda, it does have it's limits :D

Thanks for the replies.

So basically you have to be born to be a Jedi? Hmm, isn't that a bit elitist? You know, kinda "only blond, blue-eyed, square-jawed men over 6ft tall can join the Brotherhood" or something like that :-)

Pity. I was hoping I could get more mileage out of that Basketball analogy :-)

Actually there are 3 religions.

1. The Force, which is beign discussed here.

2. The Farce, which is big if you have ever seen Hardware Wars, If not you missed out bigtime.

3. The Schwartz, which is like more kosher to the spaceballs and Mel Brooks.

Either route you choose the freedom is yours alone!

Originally posted by Reb Starblazer

I'm just saying that a lot of people thought that anyone can use the Force. Lucas put Midi-chlorians in because he wanted to show that only certain people can tap into it, only a select few have that gift.

ok dude, then the only 'real life' Jedi is SilentBob

This is a little off the wall, but everyone seems to think that the Force is now strictly what Qui-Gon said in TPM, and that we should disregard what Yoda said in the original trilogy...

But didn't the other Jedi high Council members forbid Qui-Gon from joining their ranks simply because of his rebellious beliefs in the "Living Force"?

Maybe I'm reading your posts wrong, but everyone seems to think George Lucas abandoned the old description of what the force *was* to replace it with the new midi-chlorian thing...

But what if he is just expanding it to allow both points of view from one rank of Jedi to the other?

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

Actually there are 3 religions.

1. The Force, which is beign discussed here.

2. The Farce, which is big if you have ever seen Hardware Wars, If not you missed out bigtime.

3. The Schwartz, which is like more kosher to the spaceballs and Mel Brooks.

Either route you choose the freedom is yours alone!

LOL!! I've seen both "Hardware" and "Spaceballs" and they're both side-splitting funny... in their own ways. :-D

Archived