Home

Are the best players solo or part of a clan?

Homosexual Ewok

Originally posted by SUPERLEN

BTW, I've played against you a couple of times, Homosexual Ewok, and you're not too bad...for a non clan player :) Rep

Hmm.. don't remember playing anyone named SUPERLEN, if the person you played was using the name "Homosexual Ewok" it was not me. I only used that name one time about a week ago in two matches.

Pretty much I only play in the Quakesh1t v1.04 FF duel server.

I'm usually the guy with the names like "I make love to grasshoppers" or something just as absurd.

I've only lost a couple of matches in the last month (Viking and Pantar[Cult] did a number on me recently though). I'm always game for a good match, if you want one let me know.

The name I have started using again is my old Quake 3 name, pardon my language, A**hole with the ** being two of these s.

You will know it's me by the excessive use of pull+kicks and saber throw+pull+kick.

• 4 months later...

So, have u gottin ur ass kicked lately? Do the best players seem to be "lone wolves" or are they members of a clan? I seem to find thats its about half and half, but i want to know what u think.:joreth::mace::kiadi::jedijawa::fett2:

~Do clans produce better players?

Until next time, kabay :greedo:

There are 2 types of people.

Those who join a clan because they are good and wanna help in a clan...

And those who join clans just because "it's cool be in a clan"!

The first type of people are usually playing solo until some good clan spots them and they join and then just move from clan to clan (if they break up)

the other type just sucks regardless of being in a clan or not

Well, if you compare how many people are Tag-free to the ones who are in clans...

If you randomly pic 1000 clan members and 1000 non-members, you'll get more skill on the tagged team for sure.

A tag doesn't automatically mean they're any good, but generally speaking...Yea. :)

Originally posted by Homosexual Ewok

I've always found the whole clan thing to be a little silly actually.

It's just that whole mob/herd mentality thing I have never been able to understand.

I'm guessing you have never played a team sport in your life.

Ya its just that mob mentality. It has nothing to do with people wanting to play organized, league games with other skilled players.

Chastan: Are you talking about Artifex?

While no one can really judge the skill of clanned vs clanless players, I have to say in my experience, the clanless players tend to have more class than a lot of these kids thinking they're hot stuff cuz they can perform the current "in-style" spam move with impunity.

I've been asked to join a couple clans, but they're either not very good or not very mature. I've always chosen fun over competition but a lot of clans don't seem to agree. The whole idea that a clan has to prove its 0wnage or chat 0wn other clans/clanless players with their asinine comments is either incredibly amusing or incredibly annoying.

Chat 0wned. I forgot who I took this from.. Homosexual Ewok?

Hey everybody, new to the forum, saw this post and decided to reply.

I am part of Warrior Nation: Legions of Chaos, a clan that specializes in not one, but many different games. The reason why we are a clan (over 650 members so far) is so that we meet new friends and have friends that we can play the games we enjoy online.

Now pertaining to this topic brought before us...I would have to say it depends on the player himself. If you are a team player, then obviously a clan is the best choice because you actually work as a team. Put an organized 6 man team (however many you want really) up against an unorganized random player 6 man team and the odds are against the unorganized team. They will be running around just trying to be the frontman rather than someone else on their so-called team. While the Organized team would probably just whoop the hell out of the other team. Now this scene actually pertains to something such as Capture the Flag or Team FFA. Here you can see the benefits of being on an actual team rather than just joining a game and hoping to win.

On the other hand, for games such as FFA or Jedi Master, it all depends on the skill of the player themselves. Not much I can go into here, but some people are just not team players, so they tend to work on their strength of being and individual player. That is how they get good, unlike the Clan member, because the clan member is so used to working as a team that when it comes to doing a lot of individual stuff, it seems to be a little harder for them.

Now I noticed someone mentioned two reasons why people join clans:

1: They are good so they want to help a clan win.

2: It seems like a cool idea. ---> Not only that, but for some reason, they think it makes them look like they are an awesome player too.

Now there are other reasons:

3: Joining cuz they are more of a team player - this was one reason I join WN:LOC for CnC Renegade awhile back.

4: To learn how to get better at the game: My main reason. I was decent, but I must not have been good enough, cuz for some reason I almost always ended up close to last, but never last. That is because you always get some noob, who's never played a FPS game before always joining the game.

Well, I don't play Renegade too much for them anymore, now that my primary game is Diablo 2 LOD, but I can honestly say that if I had not joined this clan, then I would not end up in the top 5 every Renegade game I play now, for they showed me how to work the game to the tee. Now my Jedi skills with the lightsabre have so improved, that instead of looking like some guy that just shoves his mouse around hoping to land a hit or pull off some crazy combo that you will not remember how you did once you do it. Yet it looks cool. But now, with the help of my clan and the help of certain individual players out on the servers for JK2, I have come close to mastering some of the combos. I have improved so drastically that instead having to reckon with a bigger force, people now have to reckon with my force.

Hopefully I haven't bored you guys at all, but I had to say my piece before I forgot what I was thinking when I read this thread. Have a nice day and hopefully, you will understand someday that it all depends on the type of game you play and the type of individual you are playing against. Tags mean nothing, its how the person controling the mouse plays his game.

Originally posted by Homosexual Ewok

Played football, baseball, and soccer since the age of 4 years.

I have 20+ years of team based athletic experience.

What I mean by mob mentality has nothing to do with team play, think about it for a second before you make comments like this.

Mob/herd mentality is what causes people to jump on bandwagons to be "part of the crowd".

Most people join clans just to have the tag in their name, much like the way people buy ugly clothes just because of the label or name brand. It's that "me too" way of thinking, everyone else has one, I need one.

Clans on the ladder/competitive level may still be about team play and competition, but on the average player level, it is just a status symbol.

I've played many a FPS and been in about 5 clans.

Everytime it was because I wanted to play where the REAL competition was and because I wanted to play organized league games.

Sure I bet some people join just to have a pretty tag, and thats sad.

I don't know how you can simply sum up the majority of players as banedwagoners. Have you interviewed all of them?

Im done with clans now. I fly solo.

Clans focus on Team gametypes. Personally i'm crap at Duel because I only ever play CTF.

Clans are good in these gametypes because it gives you people who you know you can rely on, every member has their place on a team.

In CTF, clanmates know exactly what they need to be doing, and can respond to your requests for help quickly and effectively.

I was playing a CTF game the other day, I was flag carrier and I need ammo for my Repeater, every time there was an ammo respawn my teammates would pick up the ammo (I can't hang around on the spawn spots because it leaves me vulnerable). I asked someone to pick up the Gun and then use the Kill command, this would have left a with ammo that I could pick up. I was ignored and I was eventually killed by someone who did have ammo. If I had been playing with my clanmates they would have quickly found me, pressed their key for "Kill" and I would have had lots of ammo again.

The simple fact is, you can't rely on people you don't know in a game. The Majority of Team FFA and CTF games are played like pure FFA because the team doesn't work together.

I play duels and i'm not in a clan (people would think i am cos of the Agen or jsut think i've spelt agent wrong) and i can beat the majority of people, msot people with tags usually are spammers or attitude problems, some don't some are good some are bad. It's really random so you can't really say if they're in a clan they're good if they're not they're bad. Persoanlly colours can show you that they're above complete noobiness. ( usually)

Not a bad question but I will have to say that you find a larger number of GOOD players with clan tags then without. However as for the BEST players in the game I would have to say that they are about 50/50.

By the way many of the "lone wolf" players that you may run into are in clans but change there names so people don't bug with "what does your tag stand for" or "can I join" or other dumb questions.

I got with some other good players and formed a clan because our favorite server was flooded by some clan that came to Own everyone. They would never fight you one v one so I made things even.

We have enough members to compete in large CTF matches (i.e. 10 v 10) and that all we want.

Originally posted by Tree

I'm guessing you have never played a team sport in your life.

Ya its just that mob mentality. It has nothing to do with people wanting to play organized, league games with other skilled players.

Played football, baseball, and soccer since the age of 4 years.

I have 20+ years of team based athletic experience.

What I mean by mob mentality has nothing to do with team play, think about it for a second before you make comments like this.

Mob/herd mentality is what causes people to jump on bandwagons to be "part of the crowd".

Most people join clans just to have the tag in their name, much like the way people buy ugly clothes just because of the label or name brand. It's that "me too" way of thinking, everyone else has one, I need one.

Clans on the ladder/competitive level may still be about team play and competition, but on the average player level, it is just a status symbol.

The clan i'm in only has 3 members, I think there is a fourth somewhere. I joined the clan because I used to be clan-mates with the co-founder and he asked me to join.

The clans on the CTF servers I frequent seem highly skilled and reasonably well-mannered. It may just be a status symbol, but that doesn't make it a bad thing.

I do my best to ensure the CTF game I play are fair, i've been known to score 6 or 7 caps in an 8 cap game, then switch to the losing side for the last point to try and balance it a bit.

Originally posted by FatalStrike

I got with some other good players and formed a clan because our favorite server was flooded by some clan that came to Own everyone. They would never fight you one v one so I made things even.

That wouldn't happen to be the OwN clan woud it? Just asking because you capitalized own. I had the "fortune" to witness this clan's formation ... not fun.

The day before 1.04 came out I was on one of the Darkside servers with two or three guys that had just gotten the game. Then a guy from the BH clan (bounty hunter I believe) showed up, and while I was fighting they all joined his clan. Apperently it's clan for bounty hunter enthusiasts. Being new they weren't all that skilled, more predictable than anything. However they also didn't trash talk or have the idiotic attitudes of some clan members I've dueled with.

I pretty much feel it's 50/50 though, skillwise.

Depends on the clan, depends on the player....to be sure. But, in my experience, I am a much better player after being in a clan than when I was a "lone wolf". I've learned from my team mates, generally am online more for clan play than I was by myself, and have honed my skills by playing against the more skilled members of our clan. Whenever a few team mates and I get on a pub server and mix it up...the clan members generally do better than the single players. When we do get whomped on, it's usually by a very skilled player from another clan. Just my two cents. BTW, I've played against you a couple of times, Homosexual Ewok, and you're not too bad...for a non clan player :) Rep

Archived