Home

Sabering in JKII vs KOTR

CorranHornjr

Explain why you believe it will be point and click? There is a scene where the guy is fighting a beast and it looks like it is mouse controlled like jkII...just the way he swings....

I don't know...I like the up close battles more...i havn't played a RPG since Space and Kings Quest back in the early early ninties when I was 11 and 12.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok i did some research and i found a fairly detailed description of the combat from Casey H. of Bioware. Sounds like it will indeed be point and click but we will have many options to use during the fights to keep us involved. :)

Anyways read this and judge for yourself:

Part of the reason that it may be difficult to imagine how the combat works is that it's never been done quite this way before. I'll try to clear up some of the confusion:

1) Combat is real-time, not turn-based. This means that you can move your character, do Force powers, special moves, called shots, etc. at any time. The battle goes on around you non-stop, with characters running around, explosions going off, blaster bolts sailing through the air, and Jedi engaged in lightsaber duels. At no point does the game wait for you to select what you want to happen next, as in turn-based combat.

2) Combat is rules-based. This means that the success of your character in combat is based on that character's skills, in combination with the strategies you use. When you attack an enemy, your character will begin fighting that enemy with the current weapon. You can then use a variety of Force powers and special combat moves, change your level of aggression/defensiveness, etc. You will also have up to 3 characters at a time to control, so you'll have a ton of things to do in combat keeping your characters fighting as strategically as possible. You can also pause the game to do certain actions if the combat gets too intense.

The overall result is that you can have action-packed combat where you feel like you're in direct control of your character, while your success in combat relates directly to the skills you've developed in your character throughout the game.

For those who want good saber fighting in SWG, I dont' think there'll be alot of that. If it keeps to the storyline somewhat, not everyone uses a lightsaber. Just the Jedi. And you can't just be a Jedi. It's not like a class you choose or anything. If you could, everyone would be a Jedi (and all the rest bounty hunters :) ) and you wouldn't have any other classes. You get picked or something, not exactly sure how, to be a Jedi. It chooses you, not the other way around.

Sorry for the minor hijack, please return to your KOTOR discussion ;)

Munik

EDIT: Time stamp on this post is one day earlier then I wrote it. It even moved it up one post to put in chronological order. With this knowledge, I can now rip a hole in the time/space continium using these forums as my tool. Muhahaha.

thanks deetox,

I did actually read that last night, i went on their forum to find out more. Does it really say that it will be point and click though? I don't want to prolong this more than it needs to be....but maybe I am just reading it wrong.

Could you explain your idea of point and click?

is that just pointing on the "bad guy" and you watch them fight?

thanks for the patience in answering all my questions..i am just trying to figure this out...i have some time to burn between my summer classes...

Okay. I've played all of BioWare's RPG games and I'm sure I can describe how combat works.

You select one of your character (I heard the party limit in the game was 3 characters) with the left mouse button, than you right click on an enemy. That selected character than moves towards and starts attacking that enemy depending on his abilities (attacks per turn, etc).

This character continues to attack until:

a) enemy is killed

b) character is killed (though it's possible the character may fail a morale check and run in fear not under your control

c) your reselect the character and target another enemy or target a piece of the ground for the character to run to.

You have no control over your sabering in KOTOR. Neither do you have it in Galaxies. Galaxies is using combat much like Everquest. *Pukes*

As for KOTOR, It is a game based off of WOTC's (wizards of the coast) 3rd Edition ruleset for Star Wars. The pen and paper game. The Lightsaber duels won't be "Scripted" but will be very NWN-like, only (as bioware says) with a more dangerous pace of the swings/blocks.

JK II is the only game with real lightsaber control.

Speaking of which, if you want to see what it's like to create a character for KOTOR, start by downloading the character generator here;

http://technologies.okinardae.com/

Since WOTC's pen and paper rules for the Star Wars RPG includes space/vehicle combat, and the trailer shows some of the same stuff, it's safe to say that most of the things in the character generator will make the transition to KOTOR.

Enjoy and all that.

I started this thread to just see what people thought about the sabering in KOTOR vs JKII but it seems it has changed to a debate to whether KOTOR will be scripted and if we will have control or not.

I just saw in the trailer that the saber fights looked alot more like the movie fights. Which I though JKII didn't accomplish.

When people said that it was scripted...i went back and looked at the trailer and there is apart in the trailer where the "lead character" is being charged by some time of animal and he pulls out his lightsaber and swings once. He didn't fight it by a script..or it didn't seem that way. It seemd like there was someone controling how he swung...check it out and let me know what you think about that one.

43 sec

56 sec

57 sec....just look these over.

Originally posted by KnightHawk420

Well of course the saber battles look better. You don't really think lucas would show off assfighting in a demo do ya. hehe

Actually they did, and we all nearly drowned at the awesome backstab action taking down the reborn. We know the place now as the crates on Cairn before you reach the Doomgiver, and I've used that area to try to reproduce the move.

For me, the purpose of KOTOR won't be FPS action, so point and click for the saber fight will be ok.

Mike

Originally posted by CorranHornjr

I just saw in the trailer that the saber fights looked alot more like the movie fights. Which I though JKII didn't accomplish.

O.K. let's get back on topic. I don't think no matter how good you are at JKII you can't make it look like the movies, because you basiclly press the button to attack hoping to hit the other person with an occasional special move thrown in there. Some people may be better at it than others, but they all fight the same way. KOTOR looks like a great game that I will definatley get when it comes out. Being that it's and RPG, though the saber fights may look more realistic but have less control. That being said I don't know which games sabering is better, because they have there own qualities in diffrent genres.

old ben i see you changed your icon...anywho, well said. They are different genres. I guess I am always waiting for Lucasarts to bring out a game that simulates you being able to be a jedi..walk around and relate to people, go on missions given to you by the jedi counsel and fight like jedi. Of course I have been watching these movies since I was 5 and I am now 20. I don't know if a game will ever really capture what it is like to be a jedi or have saber fights as fast and realistic as the movies...but they are getting closer. So when I saw the trailer I thought, "finally somone has put it back to what it is supposed to be...a close range fight." This game looks very promising and I just wish that maybe jedi Knight II would be a little more realistic..because you actually get to control Kyle which rocks. (In KOTOR you can make your own lightsaber..which is cool.) Who knows, maybe there will be a Jedi Knight III and we will get to be more of a jedi, relate with more popular star wars characters and wear a robe and not always have to go back and get your lightsaber back.. we will just start with it.

heres hoping...

maybe the next jedi knight will have Corran Horn as the main character...*crosses fingers*

haha

wuts up with ppl and wanting to fight like the movies!? In the movies, you swing swing, block, block, swing etc... I dont think There will a game JUST exactly like the movies... "oh no, i cant duel like movies!! JK2 sux!!" I dont think JK2 was aiming to fight like the movies, but the other way around... but o well.. stupid ppl and their movies..

Originally posted by HellFyre69

In the movies, you swing swing, block, block, swing etc... I dont think There will a game JUST exactly like the movies... "oh no, i cant duel like movies!! JK2 sux!!" I dont think JK2 was aiming to fight like the movies, but the other way around... but o well.. stupid ppl and their movies..

I never said that JKII sucked because it doesn't. All I am saying is that I, not you, I would like a game that did have more Movie like fights. It is more realistic fighting. YOu can't tell me that you don't like watching Episode I when darth Maul and obi-wan go at it. But if you would rather hack at then that is your opinion. I said that there probably wouldn't be a game that would capture it. And I am not complaining..just stating something that I would like to see happen...

man I wish people would READ what people write and not skim. What is the point of these threads if nobody reads!

man I wish people would READ what people write and not skim. What is the point of these threads if nobody reads!

Me reading the whole thing u just said

"blah blah blah blah blah blah"

ok.. I agree (LOL)...

ok..

First of all u started this thread comparing KOTR and JKII... then u said that KOTR look a lot like the movies.. which JK2 Failed... I dont think JK2 was aiming to duel JUST like the movies... IN fact i think it was just trying to make another SW game...

Now to get off topic

If you would read the previews of many sites (gamespot,IGN etc) or at least read some previews in magazines (electronic gaming montly, COmputer gaming world, pc gamer) You would know that KOTR is a rpg.. and therefore is not going to feel like the movie...

now i'm going to read the other threads..

*me reads the threads out load "blah blah blah blah"* =)

Archived