Home

Sabering in JKII vs KOTR

CorranHornjr

I agree that JO wasn't made to be like the movies...but was hyped to be the most like the movies..so i guess when I came into it I had high expectations. So it just failed my expectations. I do know that it is a RPG and I guess that is why I was hoping for better saber fights. Jk has awesome action and intense battling when you spawn 15 reborn and it is just you and your lightsaber...that is fun.

So I yeah you are right Hellfye69, I did start this thread to compare so lets get back to doing that. I just got a little heated. haha.

Sorry about the whole "read" thing..it is just this happenes alot and people get on each others backs just because they didn't read it all. So sorry for jumping to save myself. haha. funny stuff.

I put g_sabercollision at "2" and SaberFirsttrace at 2....would that make a difference? Or do they just have 2 settings? 0 and 1?

I guess I just like the intense feeling of having to parry and then react..the heat of the battle like in the movies...i say "in the movies" but I mean "real sabering"

Scripted or not...the trailer DID look more like a movie shot..give me that atleast?.

I am amazed that this thread has gone as far as it has...and i wis more people would give an opinion of what they think of the JKII sabering...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, JK2 doesn't play like the movies but it's pretty damn close. I think it's more a matter of people not trying to duel like in the movies than the game's fault. If the two of you walk dueled, without jumping or using any specials, THEN it's look more like the movies. Personally, I had missed the hype for this game and just stumbled onto it. I was totally amazed by the improvement it was over JK1.

Anyway, you can't expect a game to let you play duels just like out of the movies. You just don't have Force enhanced abilities or the years of training with the Lightsaber. The best you can hope for is something that grants you a level of control while siming the Force enhanced reflexes.

Originally posted by razorace

Well, JK2 doesn't play like the movies but it's pretty damn close. I think it's more a matter of people not trying to duel like in the movies than the game's fault. If the two of you walk dueled, without jumping or using any specials, THEN it's look more like the movies.

I just thought of something from what you said. It would be nice if there was a server for JKII where you had to walk and not run when deuling, and not jump around so much, for the people who enjoy fighting like the movies.

Actually.....

[self Promo Mode]

I'm involved with a mod that's trying to make the game closer to the movie duels. Right now, stellarwind, figured out an awesome improvement that encourages walk dueling. What he did was make running (in the light and medium stance) two totally different dynamic stances. When running you swing one handed and your blocking ability and damage goes down. (Think Obi Wan charging Darth Maul) When you "walk" you move at a slower (faster than the default walk) duel speed and use a more traditional two handed styles. (Red is faster and more realistic than the normal "baseball" red swings.) So basically you trade speed and manuverability, as you want, for blocking and damage. In addition, ALL specials are totally manual and under going major rebalancing (We feel that specials are only for "special" occasions.) And finally, normal swings have more "feel" to them (they have a bit of momentum and kind of "stick" for a sec after you collide with another blade). Anyway, the Mod is called Jedi Style and I think it's the best Mod availible. It's worked out great so far. :)

[/self Promo Mode]

lol

The saber fighting in that trailer looks like the fighting in the old trilogy... while that were the best movies the saber fighting sucks compared to what we see in the new movies... and JK2 looks more like the new movies...

We will just have to put up with assfighters, dfa spammers, one move monkeys, bunny hoppers, roller rats, and of course the lamers... and then just enjoy those really cool fights we have once in a while with real saberists.

I play on Gamesdomains saber only servers and there are quite a few very nice saberists there whom I enjoy dueling... and I tell you those duels are great and they look awesome.

May the force be with you

Invictus

Edit: Just saw your post Razorrace ... sounds cool - I will have to check that out. I walk durring duels for better control, but mostly because it looks better :D

I just read the description... the only thing I will complain about is you removing the sideways kick... it is really useful for those fights where people gang up on you and will allow you to fight multiple opponents more easily.... a shame removing that, especially since I haven't seen it abused like the front kick is at times. Anyway I will go try the Jedi Styles now and see how it plays... then I'll write what I think.

Thanks for the input, Canis_Aureus. I'll talk to Stellarwind about it. We haven't come up with a permanant solution for kicking yet so we'll see. By default, it's too risk-free to kick..... I'd like to keep kicking in, but we gotta make it easy to use AND realistically usable. You can't just expect to run up a fully alert person's face without them cutting you in half with the saber.

ANYWAY....back to the subject....

razorace, you are correct that the trailer is more like the original movies...and I see how JKII has the energy of the new ones...so maybe if we could just combined them..haha

I guess I don't feel like i have that much control...even though you will think I am nuts...it is that I want to stab here...but what Kyle does is slash downward or something...it is frustrating. I am not going to sit here and say that I don't know how to kill someone, but the control on where I want to go isn't all there...it is there a little but not enough.

I guess that is just what I want to see..more control! haha

I don't think how any game will ever come close to what I want...

but I see your idea about walking and no jumping. maybe not "no jumping" but "no force jumping" Because you can hop over sabers just fine.

Maybe the saber action needs to be more flued and precises. I need to see each move..all i see when I fight Tavion is that she is twirling. I need to see that Kyle sees her slashing down so he blocks it...

I can understand that. :) Actually I prefer Jedi Styles to SP now. SP goes at Episode I speeds which is simply too fast for a normal person to have much control over.

Like I said, try Jedi Styles. I don't know what Stellarwinds did but the saber fights are more procise and fluid. Normal MP feels like you're just swinging thru each other's blades in comparision.

I agree, that blade hopping would be very cool. :) And I think a controlled forward thrust could be very possible. I'll look into it. :)

I was wondering if maybe that during KOTOR you will have both point and click and movement control. I say this because of what i have mentioned many times. The different parts of the trailer you see him fighting other people that are not saber baring and animals...so maybe you only do the sort of "point and click" battling with the head guys. and maybe the JKII version when battling with other people

JKII's saber control is not much different than from JKI just improved. The movement control is good. I guess thinking about it, it is just the types of swings and slashes that they assigned to each style that is what makes the sabering so slash and hack.

what are some other options that people see as maybe be a better saber control system?

JK2's sabering not much different than JK1 ... HUH?!?!?!?! JK1's sabering was very limited, whereas JK2 has considerable control and chain attacks (admittedly, sometimes it is hard to control).

As for what could be better - the only thing I could think of is a two analog controller setup where you would move yourself and your view with one set of controls and the saber with the other ... but then that really needs 3 controllers, doesn't it ... I'm not really sure.

Mike

I can't think of a better system at the moment but there's probably a better system just waiting to be discovered.

Yeah, manually controlling the blade could work but the trick is to make the control responsive and quick at the same time. Die by the Sword tried a system like that but you'd ether have quick control or precise control, but not both. I'm sure it possible but it would involve some heavily tweaked control zones (special acceleration zones and such) with the mouse and keyboard.

I've never used an XBox, but how did the dual controller thing on ObiWan work? I know the game lacked quite a bit compared to JKII, and the Force power usage required extra appendages, but what about the sabering controls?

Mike

Archived