Home

Multiple IP address

Murad_666

Hi all, I have a setup of one Linux machine with two LAN cards, one of those has a static IP address on the internet and the other one has an address on a LAN. I have several other machines inside the LAN. I was wondering if it's possible to make the server run on several IP addresses. That people can connect from the outside and also I can connect from the inside of the lan.

Thank you, I figured out that it works when I specify the Linux server as a gateway on all the machines inside the LAN (I was using a hardware separated firewall while the Linux was a server with external IP.

Thanks again for the tip

I don't believe you can set the jk2 server to have multiple ip addresses, Now, it might be possible for the LAN clients to reach the server through the net. It's worth a shot. Another solution, although probably not optimal in your case, would be to have the server NOT be the router as well. Then you could have the server and client all inside the LAN completely and simply have the router send external packets on the server port to the server.

Originally posted by Murad_666

Hi all, I have a setup of one Linux machine with two LAN cards, one of those has a static IP address on the internet and the other one has an address on a LAN. I have several other machines inside the LAN. I was wondering if it's possible to make the server run on several IP addresses. That people can connect from the outside and also I can connect from the inside of the lan.

No, one server/game can only run on one ip-adress. You need to set up a route on your standard gateway.

You can set up a route on the client too, but i Think you will need to do this after every reboot of the client again.

The other way could be that you run the jo-server on the lan adress and use network adress translation to map the ports to the official internet adress. In that case you need only one local ip-address for the server. The official ip-adress is sitting on the router.

On a linux box you sure as hell can! I take it that you're using the box as a server/firewall/NAT? It shouldn't be a problem if the previous statement is correct. There should not be any problems running a public server on it and then connecting to it from the inside . It's very similar to running an apache server (web pages). I'm running one at home right now and I can connect to it from the public side as well as the private side, it's all about the ports once you connect to the box either publicly or privately. Hell you can have 2 or more public IPs on that box and one private IP and you can have many people coming in via the different IPs. I hope this helps and I will verify it when I get home tonight. Cheers!

Yes you can have more then one ip on each NIC. What I meant was the IP of the multiplayer-game (software)-server. But I am not so sure anymore. I think there is a parameter or so that says which ip the software server is running on. Even if so, you can connect from both the inside and the outside. At least if you set up the routing. In my case the router (a box, incl. a firewall+NAT) is also the gateway. So he tells each pc in my local lan what server he should address.

Cheers, Nuke

Ive been running game servers like that for years

the problem isnt if the game can/will etc

the games (none so far Ive seen) really give a crap what/how many ips you have

the problem is having your network cfg'd properly

Archived