Home

How to get more elegant, authentic-looking saber duels...

Lunatic Jedi

Its simple: just don't move as much! Only move enough to pull off the desired swing. I mean, you can still use special moves, force powers and all that acrobatics if you want to try to throw them off guard, but when it comes down the tooth-and-nail saber fight, try to stay still, taking small steps just to attack with the swing you want. I find this is best done by holding down walk. If there's a way to keep walk on without holding down shift, do it when you're in a fight.

You should turn up the saberdamagescale to 3-6 (I used to have mine set to 10, eep!). Its also a good idea to turn on saberghoul2collision, so that there's some more blocking, or else the fight's going to end pretty quickly.

Overall, the result is a more authentic looking fight. Many people complain that in this game, the saber isn't used very elegantly, but is just swung left and right. I think this may fix that a little.

If you want to, try it out and tell me if it improves it a little!

Yes, that would help.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention. You can also jump. It doesn't take away from the autenticity if you do a somersault over their head and attack from the other side. Its entirely authentic. I believe Luke did it to Vader in ROTJ or ESB. Therefore, it is canon.

well, if my opponent tries to fight me with walk toggled on, he's minced meat in no time. :D

I see your point, I sometimes turn walk on to practice combo moves but in a real duel I need the speed in order to dodge and close in and out of my opponent.

Actually I find the need arising to have one key to toggle walk on/off and another to only walk with having the key pressed down. This way you are more flexible.

Nothing sucks more than being hit by a dfa because you accidentally left walk toggled on and couldn't sidestep quickly enough... duh!

I'd love to just walk slwoly around, attack and parry, but....

I once did this with a friend, we disabled always run and went for it - until he began using red stance. Walking around is good and everything, but red stance ruins the whole idea, since you can't dodge when that mighty swing comes your way - and there's no thought in doing it.

As lunatic said - running around doesn't make it eaiser to hit your opponent, or harder to *get* hit. It's a waste of time. And so is the CONSTANT jumping that some folks practice. Stand still ffs so the fight will be over quicker, and it doesn't mean it's harder to fight either - just not as drawn-out.

Yea, I remember when I first got this game and started playing MP, I would run around wildly swinging at anything...then die :D

As I learned more, I started to slow down and concentrate on my swings and when to swing and not to. I have gotten better, but I still jump occasionally and run to get out of the way, but all in all have learned to be more controlled in my fighting style.

I will say that there is no way I can fight just walking, It is as Jais said, when that mighty red swing comes at ya, no where to go...

Peace:shads2:

I have nothing to do with this mod I just like the visions these guys have...

so please everyone check out JEDI STYLE 1.1

And the main reasons fights are too long and doesn't seem "star wars realistic" is because people have shields.... remove shields and all the pick ups (med kits, shields, bacta) and you can have good fights.

When I started using walk in my duels, I found that I could control the pace of the fight much better. I also had more control. Then I realized that before, when I always ran, I most likely looked like a chicken with it's head cut off. 'Cause I see it in some of the people who duel me.

I think it also gives me an advantage. By varying my speed, between slow and fast, it can put my oppenent off balance. I usually use walk when near my oppenent to approach him, but then when I'm within striking distance, I let go of walk and run in with an attack. It's like an explosion. Moving very slowly on him to the left, then explode with a sweep to the right. Helps me get to the flank or rear.

Also, from the unfortunate fact that I was only born with 5 fingers, I don't use jump much at all. Crouch, walk, and directional keys...always keep a finger over those buttons. I find that jumping really gives me no advantage, except in use of special moves. And It helps me notice the jumping fools. Like the fool who tried to kick me for two minutes straight in jedimod. Hard to hit him, but in turn he did maybe 20 damage to me the whole time.

Fight with intent when ducking, rolling walking etc, using movement to advance, retreat, or counter attack only. Running around and mashing attack proves fatal most of the time. I prefer to stand my ground in NF duels unless I'm fighting a kicker. Its hard to manage footwork precisely with a keyboard/mouse control system thus timing becomes the greatest factor. Great timing always wins. Sometimes I will run back and forth towards an opponent while circle strafing as a strategy to keep them guessing.

Your right about saberghoul2collision enable and saberdamagescale at about 2.5 or greater, it makes a very intense and controllable fight

The problem is that you have to fight opponents that agree to do the same, otherwise the other guy is just going to run out of range and continuely use some Special on you until you're die. :p

so please everyone check out JEDI STYLE 1.1

Thanks for the plug. :)

Archived