Home

Light stance Lunge/uppercut... while running?

Synax

Well I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but its come to my attention recently. With the arrival of 1.04 and the backstab nerf (thank god) there has been the nerf to jump lunge. I think we're all familiar with it... where someone does the light/blue stance crouching lunge while in the air? Well you can't do it anymore.

However I've started seeing a new reincarnation of this attack. People are running up to me at full speed, and without pausing lunging (Or maybe you call it uppercut). Now everytime I try this I just roll... because to do the attack you need to press 'duck+forward+primary attack' and if you duck while running you just roll.

Anyone have any idea on how this is done? Not knowing has put me at a big disadvantage in several games already, and I was always a fan of the jump-lunge.

I did have someone a long time ago try to explain it as binding a second key to 'Forward' then while you're holding down your primary run key you tap the secondary one and crouch+attack to make it work. However I could never do it, I spent a long time rolling over and over alone in my own server trying to.

So could anyone explain the run-lunge trick to me? I know its not just letting go of 'forward' and then doing the normal lunge, there are people out there who are doing it without any pause at all and they never accidently roll at me. Hopefully at least someone else has seen what I'm talking about.

Yeah..i have this same problem. I think it's just a bug in the game because it doesnt seem to work unless you stop running for a second and then do the lunge. When you let go of forward to do the lunge, the animation continues for half a second; If you try to do the lunge during this half second you roll. A counter ive found for this (which sucks, btw :p ) is to press back right before you try the lunge. That seems to make it easier for me to do it. You can run at full speed, turn, whatever you want as long as you tap the back button right after you let go of forward to do the lunge.

Another way is right when you get to your target and hit duck+walk at the sametime, since you can't roll walking, everytime you do forward+duck+attack while walking you lunge everytime, instead of rolling. Harder to do, but pays off if you can master it.

It's not a bug & it could be done before 1.04 too. If you're running you just have to let up off of forward the split second before executing the lunge keypress sequence.

The bind thing someone told you doesn't sound like it would work. If you want to bind it just bind the entire move as it is done from the manual:

bind x "+movedown; + forward; + attack"

Wow thanks alot guys, I just got it to work for me everytime now! I bound a key to do the lunge, and now while I'm running towards them I quickly hold down my walk key and then hit my lunge button, always works with almost no pause. I really appreciate the help. :D

Yea I have pulled it off a few times without using the bound key now that I think of it... but it was so rare I figured it a bug or just graphical glitch that it worked. I guess I'm not very good at hitting all 3 at the same exact time while running.

Originally posted by Synax

Yea I have pulled it off a few times without using the bound key now that I think of it... but it was so rare I figured it a bug or just graphical glitch that it worked. I guess I'm not very good at hitting all 3 at the same exact time while running.

Another one has fallen to the dark side of scripting.

Hmm I guess it looks that way... spending hours and hours practicing the simultaneous pressing of those three keys doesn't appeal to me, I don't even spend that much time playing the game. Oh well I already embraced the rest of the dark side in the game! :p

There is nothing wrong with binding a simple move like that to a key. Combo moves like this are there because it's easier for programmers to transfer the game to a console platform (X-Box, Playstation2, Gamecube, etc.) where they have to use combos because there aren't enough buttons on the controllers. It has nothing to do with cheating & is not really an advantage since anybody can do it. It's not like hacking.

Originally posted by ToppDog

There is nothing wrong with binding a simple move like that to a key.

It has nothing to do with cheating & is not really an advantage since anybody can do it. It's not like hacking.

Yes, there is something wrong with binding moves to a single key.

Yes, it is cheating and yes, it gives an unfair advantage.

....honestly, I can't believe the stupidity of some people! You really need to win *that* bad? :(:mad:

Originally posted by Luc Solar

I just want to know one thing. Do you have any keys bound for text messags?

Many of the so called anit-scripters in this forum have keys bound for chatting/insults. So remember that any change to the game engine/bind is a cheat if you want to be close minded about scripts. Even coloring your name is a script of sorts, if you stick to the definition that scriipting is any change to the game/engine that is not allowed by default in the menu system of the game.

So if you are going to condone scripts make sure that you do not do this. I am not saying that you do, just asking a question and making a general statement to others. So please save the flames...I am just curious about your (and everyones) stand on these few points.

I really dont give two hoots if someone scripts. If they wanna script fine, you can still counter and whip their a$$. Oh and btw a cheat is some way to alter the intent of the game to your advantage. Since scripting is a big part of the engine I dont see it as cheating. Hell isnt the challenge key actually a bind hence a script?

Originally posted by Luc Solar

....honestly, I can't believe the stupidity of some people! You really need to win *that* bad? :(:mad:

It's not cheating because YOU have the same ability. It's not like hacking. An unfair advantage? No more so than playing with better ping, or with a faster PC, or with an optical mouse, or even a mouse with a scroll button for that matter. All of those things can give you an unfair advantage if your opponent doesn't have them. Does that make you a cheater? No.

We all know the difference between binds that do moves a player couldn't possibly do on his own, & ones that simply replicate simple keypresses.

Some people use controllers & have moves bound because they are not using buttons for the movement keys. If they use a button to do a move while using a joystick, etc. to move around I am not going to call them a cheater.

There is no rule that says you must use the default setup to play the game, & as long as customizations are permitted within the game, people should be allowed to do as they please.

Unlike a lot of people, I do not whine when someone uses a script against me. I consider it a challenge to find a way to beat it.

So lay off Synax & let him play the game how he chooses.

Binding an attack to a key is as old as Quake I. Nothing wrong with it in my mind.

I can pull off the lunge just fine pressing the keys, but I try to bind as much stuff as I can so that it's within easy reach. I have lunge on a mouse button, force powers around my movement keys, etc. For the record, I never bound backstab, or spin-stab.

Does it make me unbeatable? Heck no. I'm about as average a player as it gets. That's why I hardly ever did backstab; I wasn't really good enough to knock folks down and do it.

I just can't do all the nice, fancy keyboard tricks that I used to. My hands and wrists don't really work that well anymore, but hey, carpal does that to ya ;)

Anything that takes the strain off my hands and wrists when I'm playing a game I like, is a good thing, IMO.

I agree with all of you guys that scripts are not cheating. I do not use attack scripts but I do use a nostromo controller and then scripts for all of my system settings. Scripts can not make a bad player better. A good player knows when to make moves and when to duck. Scripts can sometimes make it a little easier, but in my ho the best player will always win the fight. Plus if they did not want us to do it they could have fixed the code by now!

Honestly.. binding lunge isn't that big of a deal.. I mean.. if they can hit you with a scipted lunge, they probably could have hit you with a non scripted lunge, it's not like you can't dodge scripted attacks... Now... if you were to bind Pull + Backstab... you should go die

I personally choose not to play with any binds at all, which... does get annoying when I roll instead of lunge and miss what would have been a clean hit:(

*sigh*

Fine, I'll try to explain:

Cheating means that you gain an unfair advantage by being able to do things easier.

No, it is not cheating to use a mouse with 3 buttons instead of some basic 2-button mouse. No, it is not cheating to use a mouse with 480 buttons together with a 67-button joystick.

Yes, it is cheating to use a mouse with only 1 button, if by pressing that single button you are able to execute a move that would normally require pressing multiple buttons.

No, it is not cheating to type "^3" infront of your name to colour it yellow, instead of white. That does not give you an unfair advantage.

No, I do not feel like being a hypocrite if I say: "killing is bad", but then head out driving my car even though I know dozens of insects will get crushed on my windshield as a result of my actions.

See a pattern here? The point is: UNFAIR ADVANTAGE. Get MORE with LESS SKILL/EFFORT.

You really think that if something "can be done" it is not cheating? If you can use scripts, it is not cheating because someone else can do that too? Is binding a "complex, very difficult to pull off"- move to a single button cheating, but binding a move that's a bit easier to execute isn't? So...it's like...cheating-just-a-little? Uh...?

Here's a question to all you binders/scripters/hackers/whatever:

Why?

Why do you do it?

Could the answer be that using them makes beating opponents easier? ...yes?

I refuse to believe that I'm the only person who sees the difference between

a) binding ONE action (f.ex taunt) to ONE button and

b) binding MULTIPLE ACTIONS (f.ex throw-pull-kick-speed-run forward-switch to walking-crouch-forward-attack) to ONE button.

This all seems so obvious, yet so many people out there simply don't "get it".

(And no, countering a scriptkiddie is not the issue here.)

Originally posted by Kurgan

Why do people still insist on calling them "Light" and "Heavy" when they are really "Fast" and "Strong"?

I admit, I slipped up once or twice, but c'mon people....

Oh well, little pet peeve of mine. ; )

To drive you and only you nuts!:D

Hey Kurgan...why don't you lighten up a bit. There's no need to take it so seriously, light?

A light guy like you surely understands that even though some of us light use imprecise terms every now and then, we're not trying to pick a light with you. We're all very sorry, I'm sure. :)

But honestly, I don't really know what you're talking about...I've never heard anyone use the term "light stance", maybe it's all in your head, hmmm?

Anyways...I sure hope everything is all-light with you, man. Take it easy.

:p

Archived