Home

EMI and CMi soundtracks

Originally posted by manny_c444

Who wants the soundtrack to that garbage anyway? Get the Grim Fandango soundtrack--thats real music.

IMO, the Monkey Island soundtrack is far superior to the Grim soundtrack, even though Grim does tell a better story.

No way, the best track in Grim Fandango was the LSA theme.

Ok, they are both fantastic, but so different. I love the music from CMI, themes like the Rollercoaster of Death, the Goodsoup Hotel, The deep stringy version of LeChuck, Danjer Cove... not all reggae, though there is a lot. Reggae is cool though, so we don't mind. However, a lot of the music, especially in CMI, is much more orchestral. If you want Reggae, play MI2. A friend of mine compared the style of the Rollercoaster of Death to that of Danny Elfman (a movie composer, also did the Simpsons theme I think) and I see his point. The music does a great job of being in the background the whole time (literally) and yet still never getting on your nerves. I mean, that happened a lot in other games - ever played X-Wing collectors CD-ROM? Yikes. Good sound effects, but the music during the up-to-15 minute training sessions was awfully annoying. In CMI it is very fitting, and works very very well.

Grim Fandango also achieves this, with some fantastic themes that convey the haunting fact that everyone is dead, with the trendy 1920's/1930's film noir style swing. It's clever, the scenery is used to highlight it as well. I mean, the Calavera Cafe. Glottis is playing a really cool Piano solo which doesn't really fit the scene - on paper, that is. Instead, because of the Moroccan style interiors, and Manny's white coat, the theme of Casablanca and all the other great movies of that era comes across and the music starts to fit so naturally into the scene.

Archived