Home

Severe, intermittent lag problem

MasterFarlander

Hey all, I'm hoping someone can help me with my first attempt at running a public server.

I set up everything a-ok. Every once in a while, though, I get a "Hitch warning **** msec problem." Does anyone know what this is and how to fix it? Also, when I go to play in my dedicated server (I just launch JK2 again), and I'm in there, everything seems to work fine... except every few minutes the lag for people not on my LAN shoots up to 999 for several seconds. And help would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

[TJO] Keyan Farlander [MASTER]

If you're running the server on the same machine that you are playing from, that might be part of the problem. Basically, a hitch warning is the server's way of saying "I'm reaching 100% cpu utilization". In other words, the server can't handle the number of players connected plus all the system overhead (other applications, OS, etc) at the same time.

As far as the LAN lag, I've heard that the rate settings both client and server-side aren't enforced for LAN players. Thus, the server might be diverting all it's resources to the LAN and starving the internet players. That, however, is only what I've heard.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived