Home

Your favourite adventure game interface?

TommyBear

Originally posted by Hellbeard

I can't remember what game it was from, but I thought that the interface where you had to type in your actions was pretty funny. It got hard though, because you had to type the exact phrase.

Yes. Hilarious.

You could do so many stupid things in police quest. "Shoot myself" was popular. Unfortunately, the game often ended because you typed "pick up radios" and it said "I don't understand", so you assumed they weren't for taking and left and it said "Game over. A cop always has his radio." - NO "s" on the end, big whoop...

The one i am talking about is this game that had the same trademark name but different charaheters and setting. One was similer to maniac mansion and you have to break into a mansion on halloween, and there was another where you were stranded on the beach.

Originally posted by Hellbeard

The one i am talking about is this game that had the same trademark name but different charaheters and setting. One was similer to maniac mansion and you have to break into a mansion on halloween, and there was another where you were stranded on the beach.

Hugo's House of Horrors. I nearly completed that.

HUGO! OH MY GOD! Those games were rock-bottom. Worse than Sierra. What I hated about Sierra games is that you have no idea what to do, or how to do it. I mean, is LSL3 you have to sharpen a knife. I only know this because I cheated, as the game gives no indication that the knife needs sharpening. In a LucasArts game, the character would say "Hmm. Looks blunt. I should try to sharpen it." Then, how do you sharpen it? You have to use it on some stairs. What am I psychic? In the game the stairs are made of stone, so it makes sense. BUT WAIT. The stairs are grey. Everything in the game is grey, as there are about 16 colours. You don't even know if you can interact with the stairs. You'd need to be a mental case to actual think in your head "I know, I'll use the stairs." Oh, it just makes me so mad. I mean, in a LucasArts game it would be able to highlight the stairs, and it would say "Stone stairs." EASY. Those Sierra Bastards. I only played that for the breasts.....

Actually, LT, the first Hugo game wasn't too obscure at all. It was a pretty simple adventure game. I got to the end of it (although I didn't complete it), and I was only...around...11. Or so.

I agree with you about the Sierra games, although they have improved, and the later games such as teh Gabriel Knight series are relatively good, so I've heard ;)

And yes, LSL2&3 are extremely frustrating. Particularly when you forget to pick up some grass to give to those weird tribesmen at the airport so they don't kill you. Or when you're on that ship, and you have a very strict timelimit in which to do & get a lot of stuff, or else Big Mamma (Your 'Blind Dates Mother') will put on her leather and whip you to death.

The best thing about LSL is the quiz at the start.

I went back and played Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade a while back, and the interface is about the same as Monkey Island 1 floppy disk version, except for the "what is" option, which I'd forgotten about due to this being the last game that had it. Instead of being able to move your mouse over the screen and see the things that could be looked at light up, you first had to click the "what is" button, then move your mouse about. Drove me INSANE.

Maniac Mansion had the same interface with a few other options, and I've never been able to play all the way through it.

Zak also had that. It was kinda annoying. And you also had to double-click all the time. Another thing about Sierra games is the annoying "get stuck and never get out of it without restarting the game" function. You have make like thousands of save slots because you can't be too sure that you have picked up everything or done everything in the right order.

LoL, Sierra games are kind of funny though sometimes. You always die in the most unexpected places! One I remember is...

There is this guy skinny dipping in the lake he sais "come on in, the water's fine!" and if you kump in you die because some people arrest you for skinny dipping!

Originally posted by TommyBear

Well, I guess I ask this because I'm just curious, out of all the LEC adventure game interfaces, which one did people find the most usable, interesting or cool??

Personally I still love the original MI1\MI2\DOTT interface, there was just so much you could do..

anybody else got any ideas?

Oh I agree, I agree!

=mek=

Archived