Home

SWGB/CC bundle means no new x-pack

Compa_Mighty

Not necesarrily....

It could mean a couple things....a future x-pack might require BOTH, or it could just be longer than expected before a new x-pack, or it could mean nothing...LA might just be deciding to bundle them due to popular demand.

By the way, I haven't even heard of the bundle pack yet...have you seen it somewhere?

There is like 0 to 1% chance of another expansion pack. Look at the numbers who played the game online before any other real RTS games. Now WC3 is out and AoM is coming out no body would play this game. Say in a years time this game engine will be so old compared the 3d in WC3 and AoM. The few people that would buy the expansion would not make anymoney for LA.

The sales of GB and CC have been quite strong, and the popularity is still impressively high given the fact that some major RTS games (like Warcraft III, Civ III, and so on) have come out since GB. I think that an expansion would not be out of the realm of possibility, especially a simple 2 civ expansion like CC....a big old 4 civ expansion like some have hoped for is too much to ask. Multiplayer alone does not define this game, and I think that if you compare the number of units sold with the number of people playing on the Zone you will be surprised. Single player games are very very popular, and its still the gaming minority that play exstensive multiplayer games over the net.

I think that the interest will be there for a while yet, and LA could promote and distribute a 2nd expansion through the proper channels and have a tidy little profit maker on its hands. Expansions are more profitable than new games much of the time, as the really really hard work is already done and less man-hours go into it. Not that making an expansion isn't hard, but you get the point.

Guest DarthMaulUK

Bundling both games together at a cheaper price point could attact more buyers. SWGB didnt get great reviews but with a lower price point, more people could join up.

Also, some stores over here still don't have the original SWGB game ( I was in my local store at the weekend and someone asked the assistant - I told him he would have more chance getting struck by lighting in this store than getting a copy of SWGB).

This has been a problem for a long time and I have informed Activision about it in the UK. I live close to one of Europes biggest shopping centres - so they SHOULD stock the game. I havent seen the original SWGB here since February.

I do see copies of Clone Campaigns - but without the original game, it's pointless. So a bundle should solve this problem. Besides, it is the 'norm' in the computer games industry to increase the shelf life of a game and also attact extra reviews in PC magazines and create new awareness, despite the year gap from its original release in November.

DMUK

actually i've been seeing more copies of both the original game and CC pop up in the land of oz. Also, i would think that with the age of the game engine, and the fact that ep3 wont be out till about 2005, there wont be any new x-pac's, which isnt necessarily a bad thing. Hopefully a sequel will be produced and released either a little before or at the same time as ep3 using more advanced game engine technology.

Well, stateside the games are FAR more common...ridiculously common sights in any store that sells computer software, at least any one I've been in since fall. They are still sitting with the front-of-the-store super-popular games (like Warcraft III, The Sims, Rainbow Six, etc) in most stores, or are with their "bestsellers" or even "new items" still. And the same ones haven't been sitting there since fall either...I've seen them restocked all the time in many stores around here, weekly in my local Electronics Boutque it seems. It just seems unfathomable to me that the interest isn't there for a second x-pack....I think that if Lucas just did a reduced promotional campaign to save some money they could sell tons of it and make a nice profit.

I hate to pop your overly optimistic bubble, but SWGB did only ok, and, with a dwindling gaming population thanks to scenerio people on the Zone, it is very unlikely that an x-pack will come out.

Windu, who said you need another movie for another x-pack? Anyway ep3 will only have the Reps and the confeds, no new civs.

Guest DarthMaulUK

Although it's not easy to confirm, I am hearing rumours of a possible SWGB 2. SWGB was a successful seller and just because the playing community online averages around 300-400 is not an indicator of sales success.

The bundle at xmas will further boost sales and yes, any new SWGB game will have to be 3D. Command & Conqueror Generals, Age Of Mythology, a new Cossacks game are all using 3D for RTS.

I still think we lack a decent Star Wars space RTS like Rebellion and I have made my thoughts to Lucasarts! hehe

DMUK

sithmaster - what im saying is that waiting for ep3 to come out, and then creating an x-pac for a possible sequel would be the best way of doing things, as there will certainly be new material. Also, who says that only the republic and confederacy will feature in ep3?

darthmauluk - i also think that you could include Rise of Nations in there, looks like a very impressive game so far. Also, having created my own list of suggestions on how to improve GB from the 'community ideas for a possible SW:GB 2' thread, i was wondering if you would be able to pass it on to lucasarts for me (they didnt reply last time)

Originally posted by Sithmaster_821

I wonder why? Windu, some (if not most) of the ideas on your thread are completely unbalanced and should not be let near any Star Wars RTS. Either that or its not nessassary in any game anyway or a big ripoff of features in other games.

The idea's that i have would improve that game and could be easily balanced. I also think that if lucasarts is going to make their own engine, that should take the best features of the major RTS games out there, 'star wars' them, and mix them into a new game. Finally, i would like to point out the entire game is a rip-off of another games features, so why would looking for fresh ideas be bad?

Guest DarthMaulUK

This whole thing is getting silly now.

Also, saying that SWGB is a complete rip off from AOK is shameful. Yes, it uses the same game engine and unless you have been either on a different planet for a year, Lucasarts didn't make it a secret. We ALL knew what to expect from the popular AOK game engine.

LA spent hundreds of hours with the artwork, sounds for the game and I think they did one hell of a job. The art for the Republic and Confederacy totally rock. Just because the game uses the same engine, doesnt mean that LA didnt do anything else.

If LA were to make their own engine, could have taken alot longer and we might not have seen SWGB until end of 2002 - missing out on Episode II.

I think LA have 'tested' the market by using this engine and after we see the results from the first proper 3D RTS games, I can see LA making a SWGB 2.

'Outsourcing' has proved to be successful with Lucasarts. Most of their game engines do suck and by using other design houses has left them to create creatures, worlds and characters for the SW galaxy.

DMUK

look, im not saying lucasarts did a crappy job, quite the opposite. What i was saying about the game being a rip-off of anohter game was in response to sithmaster's comment about me wanting features that were 'rip-off's' of other games.

As for the engine question, i still think the best to modify would be Rise of Nations. It uses many new and interesting features such as

1. borders where you cant build in your enemies territory

2. the ability to prevent rushes in games

3. more advanced worker AI where the worker will look for something to do instead of sitting around

4. unlimited resources, but a limit on the amount you can get out of them every minute or so, plus rare resources that everyone will want

5. new, realistic combat where flanking manouvers and holding the high ground give tactical advantages over the enemy

6. new units such as spies/special forces who can sneak into enemy territoy, look around, and in later levels assasinate enemy units

7. and of course the most important for Star Wars, aircraft are an intergral part of the game with realistic flying and manouvers

8. really good graphics, and will not be ready until late 2003, which would give lucasarts time to release SW:GB 2, then a short time later an expansion based on Episode 3

9. unit structure/building is quite similar to the AoE series, and so people who have played any of those games along with SW:GB would be able to jump straight in!

Guest DarthMaulUK

I am not a fan of rushing - its one of the reasons why I think alot of newer players keep away from playing online. An option to turn this off would be good.

When LA make SWGB 2 - lets see if they include it.

DMUK

• 3 weeks later...

I bet they did it to increase sales. They just announced it is coming out with clone campaigns for MAC. That might increase interest in the game. I love the game personally and hope for a 2nd pack as soon as possible. I was disappointed at the lack of ships in the galactic battlegrounds and it's expansion pack. Where are the b-wings, v-wings, capital ships like super star destroyer? If they can put star destroyer, death star and blockade runner as a cheat why not as a regular at airbases and include the rest of the ships from the 5 movies?:deathii:

• 2 weeks later...

We can only hope and pray that the powers that be at LA will decide to release another version of the game.

Personally, I believe that they are just looking at it from a salesman point of view, and not what the gaming community would like to see.

LA is famous for letting their games go to pot... just look at the list:

Rebellion/Supremacy

X-Wing Alliance

Force Commander

X-Wing vs Tie Fighter

All of these games were just dropped like they never existed. While it is a sad thing, maybe if we all hope and pray long enough, they will come around to the gamers way of thinking on keep on trying to produce games for the people who are the most important: The Gamers...

Strange

Guest DarthMaulUK
Originally posted by Darth Windu

sithmaster - what im saying is that waiting for ep3 to come out, and then creating an x-pac for a possible sequel would be the best way of doing things, as there will certainly be new material. Also, who says that only the republic and confederacy will feature in ep3?

If Lucasarts made an x-pac in 3 years time using this game engine - it just probably wouldn't even get reviewed. This game engine is already past it's sell by date and to use it in 3 years would be gaming sucide.

AoM looks superb, Medievil Total War is unbelieveable - using 3d rts engines..so it does look as if 2002 heralds the end of 2d rts gaming.

[/b]

Also, having created my own list of suggestions on how to improve GB from the 'community ideas for a possible SW:GB 2' thread, i was wondering if you would be able to pass it on to lucasarts for me (they didnt reply last time) [/b]

I can't sorry. Although I do have contact with Lucasarts, it's something I don't like to abuse. I have found LA to be extremely helpful, friendly and approachable during the Battlegrounds era.

LA have experts there who will decide the direction of SWGB 2 (hopefully Garry Gaber will lead the charge again - cool guy) but it won't be for a couple of years at least.

To make an x-pac might involve a hell of alot of work in terms of artwork, design etc..of course it would be great but we can but dream :-(

DMUK

If there smart??? Of course they are.... But i think in my own opinion that LA will make a SWGB 2 with a mix of 2 engines, If they can get it to work properly, Then that way it will be a class game, 3D isnt everything remember.

AND REMEMBER THIS REALISM ISNT EVERYTHING!!

wow, did that make any sense at all?

ShadowJedi

Archived