Home

UVWrapping

KBell

ok i have , yet again, reached a Brick wall. I am creating a Saber hilt based off of Jacen Solo's of the Young Jedi Knight book series and i have modeled it to my liking with g-max. Well then i clicked on UVW map, and cylindral ,and fit and got this

http://www.freewebhost.biz/bakers8er/Jacen%20UVW%20Cylindral.jpg

ok, on to the next step, i clicked Unwrap UVW and clicked edit and got this

http://www.freewebhost.biz/bakers8er/Jacen%20Unwrapped.jpg

Now is there anything wrong with this? If there isnt, do i just make a Screenie of it and paste it in Photo shop? but when i get it in Photoshop what do i paint over?

I have used alot of tutorials INCLUDING the one that came with g-max but none have really outlined UVWrapping really neatly, except for Musashi's Video which is superb except i can really see the 3ds max screen:p ANY help would definetly be appriciated

Ok, you did it correctly, but heres some tips to help you along:

1. Map inset or raised detail seperatley (one of two ways. Detach and map, or select the face, apply a planar map, unwrap, shrink the unwrapped image so it will fit on the rest of the saber map)

2. Move any funky vertices so it the map is square (See along the edge how it's kinda 'wavy', going in and out? Drag each vertice so they form a straight line vertically)

3. Reduce the polycount. From the looks of it, you have a BUNCH of un-needed faces, mainly on the top and bottom areas.

4. To get the image into photoshop, finish unwrapping the model and in the "Edit UVW's" screen, press ALT+Prnt Screen. Go into photoshop. File -> New -> OK. Press CTRL+V to paste the image. Now you need to take the Rectangular marquee tool and select everything within the grey outline. Once you have done that, go to Image -> Crop. Go to Image -> Image Size and resize to 512x512 (or 256x256 if you like smaller maps)

Hope that helps. I'll do my best to answer any questions you may have.

1. No. Here's what you do. Apply a UVW cyl. map to your saber like usual. Unwrap it as you have done. Select all vertices and scale it down by about 25%, and move it to a corner. Close the UVW unwrap window, and apply an Edit Mesh modifer. Change to polygon mode and select one of the raised panels, and with it still selected, apply a planar UVW map to it, to project onto the front. With the face still selected, apply UVW Unwrap, shrink the newly unwrapped face to fit into the map. (or if it's like a seperate 'ring' detil like on many sabers, apply another cyl. map)

2. Yes, those and those odd ones up on the far lef side that are sticking out from nowhere. Move those back over to the right.

4. Well, for one, image maps HAVE to be a size by a power of two. The preferred size for maps is 512x512 because you can get alot of detail into the map. Any bigger and the file size is alittle large. 256x256 will work too, but you won't get as much detail into it. Any size will work, as long as it's dimensions are a power of two.

1- i cant do it now since i dont have g-max on this comp but i will definetly be able to do it that very detailed mini tut:) thanks

2- whoa! i dont know where the hell that outcast came from:D i dont even think it belongs to anything!

4. Thanks, is there any difficulty difference in the two or does it all depend on your artistic skills in Photoshop?

Oh and one more thing, when i am finished painting over the UVWmap, do i just "save as" in Photo shop and click on Materials editor and click open and import the Photoshop Pic i just made?

Thanks and i really hope im not bothering you

No bother atall, mate. Always glad to help someone out.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by difficulty difference in the two...if you mean how well the skin will look, then yes, it's all dependant on your artistic skills (just remember to keep practicing if the first one doesn't look good). I would suggest working in layers, if you're using photoshop. It makes things alot easier, especially if you have to go back and change something. When the skin is done, go to file -> save as a copy. Save it as something like "saberhandle.jpg", and then just apply it using the material editor in gmax. If the skin doesn't look right, collapse the edit stack (right click in edit stack -> collapse all) then apply unwrapUVW (note that you JUST apply unwrap, bypassing UVWMap modifier. This is just to remind max that the object has a complete unwrap applied to it).

Is it something like "Number of vertices on object not equal to the vertices on UVW map"? If it is...well, you'll have to remap the entire thing. Someone, one or more vertices was added or deleted on the object or UVW map. It's a real pisser when it happens after unwraping everything.

Ok JRA_Wolf - ok when i added my own UVMap To my saber and i exported it into a MD3 viewer i got this load of crap :p

"Box 1, 3,5, and 7 found no UVmapping on theses objects. Writing out the texture coordinates of a sphereical mapping for each vertex" this is what the boxes look like

http://www.freewebhost.biz/bakers8er/the%20Unmapped%20boxes.jpg

I dont think these are the boxes that are unmapped because i hide those numbered boxes a long time ago. How do i unhinde those boxs and Delete them for good. In simpler words, how do you UNhide something and then DELETE it for good?

On that same subject, when i opened MD3 view i came up with ANOTHER saber in the picture and its the saber i used for size reference (you know, the one Raven Made?). Now i hid that saber a long time ago too but how do i UNHIDE it and delete it for good?

Heres what it looks like

http://www.freewebhost.biz/bakers8er/the%20unknown%20Saber.jpg

Any help would DEFINETLY be appriciated. Im going into the final stretch! just need to get ther saber in game after i solve this problem

Oh and Lyger, its not stupid, you probly forgotten or dont know how to lower polycount on the saber. Ask if you need help

Oh and im using Photoshop Elements and i want to make a chrome effect. How do i do this? i tried searching the help file( which is great) but it doesnt say!

-edit- Oh and JRA wold, i got the same error message Chrono got ,u know, there wasnt a corrospondance between w_saber?

Do i HAVE to fix it or will my saber work if i dont fix it?

To delete an object, select it and press the delete button the keyboard, hehe.

About the error...I could never get the sabers to work, with UVW maps, without totally remapping everything. it may work despite the error though. You'll have to experiement.

Me/ slaps himeself around for stupidity :p

Ok, now that i got THAT done, i ran into another problem

I created another model based off 1 of many Mara Jade sabers she either made or stole ;) and i loaded up Raven's MD3 viewer and opened up the model. Alls well so far :D . The tags were all right and everything so nothin wrong there.Then i opened up notepad (Like the Brothers in Arms Tut said to) and typed the following

w_saber,models/weapons2/saber/saber.jpg

And saved the text file as Saber_w.skin like the TUT said. Then in the MD3 viewer I clicked Import skin and opened the file and got this error

"Debug, texture "models/weapons2/saber/saberjpg"wasnt found:mad: I have no clue what that means

I saved the MD3 file and the saber_w.skin file in my own custom folder so im not sure if thats the problem.

Again, any help would be appriciative

Archived