Home

Few questions about some commands

Bdole

What exactly does cg_smoothclients or g_smoothclients do? is it worth enabling it?

Is it worth enabling the pad packets command? Not exactly sure how the command is spelled.

Whats a good number to use for maxfps on my dedicated server for best ping and no lag?

Isn't it best to enable maxrate to the max (25000) so i can send as much data to the clients as my connection can? I am using cable for now :(. I have a limit of 4 clients max on my server, so wouldn't it be best if i stuck the maxrate to the max so all the clients can share my bandwidth?

sorry if these questions have been answered before. the search thing doesn't work for me. Thanks for the help

1) I was under the impression that the smoothclients cvars were already on by default. What they do is enable player prediction so that players on bad connections don't "jump around" so much. Of course, errors in prediction can occur.

2) I would leave sv_padPackets at the default (off) since it's mostly likely going to add lag--or at least not help it.

3) The best number to use for maxfps is the default (20). Tweaking more than a very modest amount only increases lag in the vast majority of cases.

4) The idea with sv_maxrate is to provide clients with a good update rate without exceeding your bandwidth. Generally, anything over 10000 doesn't produce a noticable improvement while dropping it below 4000 tends to produce lag. Obviously, the more players are on a server, the more data needs to be relayed and thus, 4000 won't cut it. You may think, "well, I'll just set the maxrate really high and it'll just use my full bandwidth and stop there". The flaw with that is the server will TRY to use more bandwidth than you have and it'll cause lag. It's better to fit the maxrate to just under your upstream bandwidth.

Archived