Home

How GOOD of a dueler are YOU?

Cedrin

All good guys... very good.... *lol*...

Hmmm.... I honestly can't remember what name I used keeper, but I think it was something along the lines of "philosopher"?

Anyway, me and my buddy were fighting together in that place, and I recall you thought I were the admin *LMFAO!!!*

The only time you will ever see what stance I'm using is when I'm attacking or when I slip up and stand still

Was that why you did that funky riverdance? Looked cool though...

But yeah, lag is probably to blame for many, many defeats.... I reckon a ping as high as 130 is fully playable for me, without any noticable stuttering - although a guy I met claimed it had to be at the most, 70 ping....

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahh yes, Jedi Philosopher :)

Hey. How was I supposed to know you were sitting next to eachother?... I don't go around comparing peoples pings to find out if they close :p

And since admins (as far as i know... could easily be wrong) can see what all of the people say, wasn't it pretty logical to assume you were an admin?...

And people have better beware, because now I know how to kiss you MUAHAHA :p

Hey man, I can't blame you for anything - me and my friend have made this joke go a lot further than that on other servers. We've even been called hackers and sh*t man!

I once told guys I was merely making an estimated guess on their hp, based on swings and stances' damage... And they fookin believed it!

Geeez, some guys can't take a joke *lol*

I am not that good, still trying to perfect my technique :D

I love the yellow stance, much like Jais, but will switch between all 3 to try to keep it balanced. I need more work with the red, but am getting better.

On a good day, against skilled opponents, 4/10. On a bad day 1/10. Just depends *shrug*

Peace:shads2:

I play NF duels on wargames servers only.

I dont like self assesments either so i wont give you an out of ten number, those who have fought me can judge me.

I use all stances but i have mastered Red stance, all combos in any sequence, if i do a DFA theres 80 percent chance of doing damage with it.

Only met one person who could effectively defeat My red with Yellow, had to match his style with yellow to defeat him.

Use all the specials, i find it hard to do the lunge everytime, maybe i dont practise with it enuf.

I kick but i dont kick spam, i kick when people leave themselfs open for a kick eg Yellow finisher or dfa (if i dont have a red swing charged that is), if somebody kicks me i dont do the obvious and try and kick back.

I test the knowledge of the player im fighting b4 anything else, one example - ill stand still in red and do an over head chop, if he moves about then he knows about dfa and its dangers, if he doesnt move he may not know about it, OR hes double bluffing me, then i would do another test to establish that or not.

I mostly work well on defensive, but can be very aggresive aswell.

I try my best not to get pissed of ingame, but if somebodys blatently using a sabre lock script or kick spamming, i find it hard to shut my mouth :) But we all know that killing a lamer is more rewarding anyhow :)

hehe Phantom.... I also play on the wargames servers... you from scandinavia? Funny I haven't met you at all though, maybe it isn't the same wargames server we're talking about?

I use mainly yellow against red and sometimes blue when I'm pissed.... I love fighting against red with yellow although I find it very frustrating since red seems to get "more bang for it's buck", so to speak... I can hit you after your mandatory 3-combo which red junkies use like there's no tomorrow, but if you should hit me just once, I'll surely be toast. Gah!

Your DFA skills seems god-like to me however.... hmmm.... Impressive!

I think the servers are in the uk as i get pretty good pings off em, i use the ingame browzer, the server names are in blue with a green server number on the end (i think, im at work atm)

Wargames [1]

Most of the people that beat me use yellow, and im forcing myself to use it so i can start to master it, and the battles seem faster and more hectic :)

The DFA is a deadly move but you can pay a high price for mis-judging it, thats why i test the player as much as possible, from what ive said it looks as if i spam the dfa but i dont, if i hit and the player lives i know i wont need to endanger myself with another dfa when a simple heavy swing would do tha job. If i miss i dont usually try again unless im sure that ill hit, another good place for a dfa is when people are jumping up to the platfrom that you are on and you dfa towards them, they usually get a nasty scrape :p

Come find me on wargames sometime, im usually quite friendly (as long as ive had a good day at work :D ).

*LOL* - those ARE the same servers, except that I always thought they were in denmark... hmm... maybe the #1 is in England? I dunno....

I can see why you rarely miss with the DFA if you only use it once in a fight if your opponent dodges it... ;)

Yeah, I use mainly yellow because red looks so silly... You never seem to get good looking and hectic fights out of two red users.. It's just attack, sidestep, rince and repeat.

I'd have to give myself a ranking of 9.

Simple reason for that is I mostly play on the SofD dueling server (207.115.25.57:28070), and according to fragquest.com there's 462 unique players on that server, and I'm ranked 6th overall for skill.

I'd have to say that FragQuest.com is as close as one can get to an unbiased 3rd person perspective on dueling quality. Would you not agree?

Caius

The problem with the darkside servers (for me), is the lag I get since they're in the states...

I have a sorta odd view on lag: If I have a ping of 200 and I'm fighting a guy with a ping of 90, then we *both* have a 290 ping handicap. Lag is bad for everyone....

But that aside, the darkside servers are literally chock full of really skilled players, I even saw a guy "owning" the server playing on a 56k and a ping of 300.... Now that is fantastic.

Once again, I do not believe frags=skill.

Yeah phantom, reveal yourself to the jedi! *LOL*

Cjais, maybe you are right, im not sure where the servers are, all i know is that i get a great ping from em :D

Ive had some good red vs red fight sb4, but as you've said they arent hectic, its very tactical, and the person that has a better judgement of saber ranges usually wins in the end as they can judge the distance of the swing while slowly strafing in with thier counter, or when a person makes a mistake and runs in to a combo or backswing (not backsweep, the red swing where you do a 360 turn holding sabre with both hands).

Keeper, i think we may have fought, but i cant remember everyone, only the peeps that i start talking too and maybe the people that ive shown how to do specials and combos.

I usually play for about 2 hours a day on Wargames, the only thing that i dont like about the wargames servers is its map rotation, i h8 duel bespin and hanger, i h8 bespin cus theres no room for quality duels, only backwards and forwards backwards and forwards and maybe a DFA. I h8 hanger because its laggy, i have a half decent pc and it still laggs on that damn shiny floor.

I always use the same name, ive never used another name in my life im Rp.Phantom do a search some time around 8 or 9, then again l8 at 11 or 12.

Hey man!

I think if you go click on server properties(or sumthin') then scroll down, you can see where the server is located... And yeah, I too get a damn good ping from them servers! (around 30-40)....

I reckon red vs red fights can be fun and takes skill... it's just that I, personally, hate to watch them as a spectator....

EDIT - I'm beginning to believe that the server admins of the wargames servers just sat them on stand-by way back in 1.02, and then never again bothered to change the map-rotation, include custom skins or anything nifty like that... I'm a bit tired of it really... but I can't beat the ping!

Hmmm maybe i could contact the server operators and tell em that thier servers would be more popular if they removed certain maps, and maybe added a few new ones like the Kamino landing platform.

Just gotta find out who owns em and how i can contact em. :confused:

I reckon red vs red fights can be fun and takes skill... it's just that I, personally, hate to watch them as a spectator....

Thats why i have a cable tv next to my monitor :D

Originally posted by <>Phant0m<>

Thats why i have a cable tv next to my monitor :D

RRRRRAAAAAGHHHH!

ME WANT! *lol*

Yeah, their map selection is pretty basic and boring, and their skins are equally so.... Good luck on finding the perpetrators!!

I have fought only one player that I would truly say was my Better. He went under the name "Bob From Accounting" . . LOL He was very good, and won just about every time, but It was only one map, and I wished we could have tryed another terrain, but there wasn't time . . oh well.

I usually can win just about any other one . . but again it depends on the fighter . . by NO FORCE I am assuming you mean "No throw" . . If I fight a pure thrower in version 1.03 then I have a harder time . . unless the area is small. Then I can close the distance and finish it.

Don't you guys just love the little jerks who use the Bacta stuff in the middle of the match? . . I was wasting this guy who says he is a master (goes by the name Rogue and or Padfoot) and After I pounded on him and he hit me too . . I hear the bacta go off!! . I said "did you just do what I thought you just did?" " just types "LOL" and then we clash with two yellow DFA . . he survives . . I die. Then I kept challenging him and he would just PULL backstab me . . every time I tryed to Challenge him. Then he tells me to STOP coming after him . . get this . . Because he " . . OWNS . . " me. . . . I said "OMG, you want me to stop coming after you because you Own me?" . . . Guess what . . while I was Chatting that . . he CHAT KILLS ME!! . . THe next 2 hours go on with me and him at each other's throats . . most of the time he trys killing me from a distance (snipe) cause he was to much of a coward to face off . . . Oh well.

cjais, I agree with you that frags doesnt always show one's true skill. Thats another reason why I enjoy Darkside. Their stats are not based off of frags but a skill system.

Lets say you kill a person that isnt a challenge to you, you will gain little skill points from him. However if you kill someone of much greater skill then you, then you will gain a lot of skill points from that victory.

Originally posted by Cedrin

cjais, I agree with you that frags doesnt always show one's true skill. Thats another reason why I enjoy Darkside. Their stats are not based off of frags but a skill system.

Lets say you kill a person that isnt a challenge to you, you will gain little skill points from him. However if you kill someone of much greater skill then you, then you will gain a lot of skill points from that victory.

Sounds good man, but I'd like to make a few statements to all the homophobic individuals out there:

-Losing isn't gay, noobish or bad.

-The game is supposed to be fun.

-True fun in this game is only achived when playing *with* others, not against them.

-Your opponents are humans too, not bots placed in the game to be bullied by you.

-Winning isn't the only way to learn, and it doesn't show skill...

-The way you play shows skill, not the outcome.

V-E-R-N ! Vern my main man :D

'Cause these ppl are gonna be here all day - VERN ???!!!!

Babbit...Charlie Babbit! UH-OH !

(SO offtopic BUT I love Rain Man :D)

Well said cjais my good friend(?) *LOL*

No seriously, ppl should behave. There are enough lunatix in the world...no need to bring them onto the servers as well :)

Let me be the first to congratulate on achieving 333 posts druid...

The devil's little brother.... It was a special moment for me as well.... Half the devil *LOL*

Anyway, I had a really bad day today, and just decided to vent it here.... Sorry guys.

It's just that some people think everything their ego can't handle is "gay", hence the homophobes.... *sigh*

As a start I can say I use the red stance the most. My stance often depends on which stance the opponent is using, but mostly I use red. Although if the opponent is using the red stance I mostly go to yellow stance if I see that hes got some skills in using hes saber. Then I try to be behind hes back swinging aimed yellow hits against him while hes trying to do hes slow swings. Red stance user I often fool by letting them think Im going to attack and they swing, then I roll or strafe or jump to outmanouver (depending on the situation) them to get to their back or side where I easily can strike a blow or two before they can recover.

I seldom use the blue stance, I NEVER use it against another blue style user, it gets to random then. I often take care of them by a red slash and jump forward (not the DFA) and then jumping away before they can attack me, as I must recover.

If I know they are at lower health then me (at least 25-50 hp less) I take them on in a "fast blow of randomness".

Yes, I know it's not random, but when two equally skilled players fight off in blue, it's mostly just luck that makes the killing blow.

About the specials I use them all, but far from spamming, and only on occasions that fit. The recovery time from a special is to long to use against experienced players.

Someone said that when the opponent has made a DFA and hitting them with a blue lunge ain't much to use as a reference of your skill I totally disagree. Good players don't do specials unless they're at least 75% sure they will hit hard, and then to avoid it and be fast enough to do a lunge back at them is indeed as measure of skill. On the other hand then, if they would hit with the DFA, would they be skillfull? Yes they would be. Hitting an experienced player with a DFA is hard, if you hit most your people with a DFA you have not played the top players yet.

And if you don't spam a special, you will have a much bigger chance of landing a killing hit when you finally use it, as the opponent isn't prepared for you to launch it.

Sometimes I meet players that plays me even for like 2-3 rounds, but then they never win again.. why? Because I study my opponent.. Everyone has a prefered style or special. Their own strategy. While not playing, watch what he is doing.

And another got strategy I use is that I stand still so the opponent can see what style I'm using by looking at my stance.

Then when we engage in combat I've mostly change to another style to surprise him. It's a great tactic that makes the opponent really confused about what to expect.

And I don't kick much. I don't like people who always starts a fight by kicking, they are boring but still easily countered. Making a kick after some blows I have no problem with. The kick is there to be used.

Mostly when I die, I die of lightning(because I didn't have force enough to counter with drain and can't avoid it) or by being pushed or pulled down a shaft.

I only join servers that I added to my favorites, where I know there are some good players to play, so there is something to be learned from most fights.

As you wanted a rank, I say I'm a 9. I don't think any 10's exists out there, not yet. Noone been able to totally crush me yet, the biggest loss I have is a 2 round loss in a first to 10 duel. A 10 will some day come that can kick my ass, but then I'm already sitting playing Star Wars Galaxies instead.

Take care.

Archived