Home

Why didn't Raven...

Domenic

... make multiplayer saber/force battles like singleplayer ones?

I think it's an extremely legitimate question; one I'm surprised hasn't been brought up.

Single player battles just feel incredibly better than multiplayer ones; it's hard to describe. It seems to be a combination of the animations, the blocking, and the overall speed, but I'm not quite sure. In any case it's just so much smoother and more Jedi like, in my opinion.

It's very strategic, trying to get an angled swing in or knock away their saber and then dive in for a quick kill. It makes light stance very useful -- that was actually my preferred stance in all of single player (except for Desann and a few Shadowtroopers) -- without displacing the other stances.

The force powers, too, seem better in singleplayer, in ways that are hard to describe. Especially push/pull; they're very useful to get quick hits in on Reborns. Saberthrow is also so much better.

Even the movement is better. Rolling isn't nearly as easy, nor as effective, and other things feel better, although again in hard-to-describe ways.

So -- why? Can someone explain, please? Why couldn't multiplayer be like singleplayer?

Perhaps if Raven releases some source code, we could make a mod for this? I'd certainly be willing to, if no one else would.

Just wondering, and thanks for your time...

First of all SP Force Speed on MP isn't feasible...

Saber battles look quite nice though, but Lunges and DFAs can turn, while RAVEN purposely decided in 1.03 they shouldn't do that in MP.

MP saber battle seems very "sticky" with all the specials; they make you seem frozen post-move while in SP, the moves are all very fluid and transitions between animations of the move to recovery are seamless.

SP Blocking is too high in my opinion... for the enemies. But for Kyle, a saber throw can penetrate where it couldn't in MP.

Saber throw in SP is Sorta annoying. Sometimes it floats in front of your hand, denying defense while being insanely close. And you lose it too! It doesn't go through walls, yet it can burn etch marks and break through equipment like boxes/reactors.

Sp saber battles has been brought up b4 domenic, there was alot of requests here on the forums b4 the 1.03 patch was released, and I think raven made the saber battles alot more like the sp battles after the 1.02 version of Jedi Outcast :thmbup1: . But I also think they can still make the saber battles abit more SPish :lsduel::)

Well in single player if you think about it. Reborns and such are really easy to kill. I mean with experience, lunge kills on a direct hit. Imagine that in MP. Everyone would be lunging around worse than they are now heh. I think MP should be like SP, but that's not being practical. I'm really sure, there's a reason behind this, it might have not been possible, with lag and such issues. But who knows.

Yea but all of the specials can be blocked, so spaming them isnt as effective as in multiplayer.

IMHO Single player was by far the closest jedi simulation I have, or maybe will ever see. Take a look at it in very slow motion (Timescale .5), with everyblock the sabers almost instantly repell eachother. When you use an overpowering stance your oponant always feels it when they blocking (By having their saber slamed out of the way) or through contact (With the warm luvin from a saber).

The ablity to slam sabers out of the air (Or even out of other peoples hands!) also gives it an amazing feel and would make those throw whores think twice.

Force seems very nice in Single player, although this would underpower guns and make jedi vs merc an impossibilty but who cares ;) .

Sure speed would need to change, but I would be undoubtably amazed if they made multiplayer player just like single player. If it didnt become the best game ever I would loose all hope in humanity.

Lol, want to know something screwed up?

I have been playing this game since the day it came out and to this day, I have never even started up a single player game.

Granted I have practiced against bots in my own server, but never the true single player game.

The competition found in multiplayer was just too much for me to develop an interest in the single player game.

Archived