Home

Zak McKracken - FM-Towns

Casa Addams

Originally posted by Ben Whatsisname

jannar85, it is warez. Delete it. If you did not purchase the game from FMTowns, or secondhand on original cd, it is illegal to own. I know it seems cool to hide under the cover of "I own the original Zak, so I can download all the other versions" or "It's abandonware", but both concepts are false. It is the same as saying "I bought Windows 3.1, so it's ok for me to warez all subsequent versions" I am trusting you to keep your word about deleting it, ok?

Ok, I've deleted it.

Let's check one more time.

Deleted it? Check. Deleted the stuff which was in the trash bin? Check.

Let us just hope LEC will re-release it with its own package, including Loom256! We could make a poll... Yeah, a poll!

:)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't trust people who are strongly opposed to piracy.

I mean, who here hasn't downloaded an mp3 of a song that they didn't own? And it's not an excuse to say 'I was just seeing what it was like before I bought it'

I, myself, will not pirate the software of companies I want to see still standing in the future, for instance, Lucas Arts & Squaresoft. I did, however, download the FM Towns Zak Mckracken, for one simple reason.

And personally, I think we should email Fujitsu and ask them to make this game freeware. It would be good for publicity, and it's not as if they have anything to lose.

I understand what you are saying Scabb. The issue of piracy/abandonware is by no means black and white.

Its very difficult to draw the line - is it ok to 'pirate' mp3s but not games? Is it right to pirate some games but not others?

A lot of people would say that its ok to download Loomcd and ZakFmTowns since you cant buy them anymore. Unfortunately by that same logic someone who cant buy indy lc/foa in their local eb could go and download them.

Theres no way of knowing if someone who downloads a game 'to try it' will then go and buy it. Ultimately the only way is to draw the line at the top - no form of piracy is acceptable. We as a community cant allow it because its a slippery slope from 'lec fans get abandonware zak here' to fools saying 'I downloaded CMI but its in French, is there a crack to make it english?'.

I dont really want this to turn into a full warez discussion im just trying to explain why it cant be allowed as someone who can see both sides of the debate.

Look. Just over a year ago (and I mean JUST) I had about 3 LEC Games in original boxes. I had played them all at some point, though they were borrowed of friends or relatives so I couldn't keep them. In the time between then and now I have acquired all the games again LEGALLY. Until that is impossible Piracy is not only illegal, but imoral and unfair.

BTW, just for everyones information, I asked the guy who ported the SCUMM engine to FmTowns what the differences were with the OTHER versions for FmTowns:

"Zak was upgraded from the 8bit world to Towns but never re-released for PC.

The Indy and Loom art generated for FM Towns were used to re-release those two products for PC. That's why there's 16 and 256 color versions of those and only 16 color of Zak on PC."

So basically, two things of note:

1: The enhanced versions of Indy3 and Loom (CD) were originally the FmTowns versions, but backported. Ditto for MI1.

2: If they had the rights to do THAT, why couldn't they do the same for Zak FmTowns? They DIDN'T, but I can't see why they COULDN'T.

Don't get me wrong but I have on question:

Could it be that you guys are this type of people who did not let other people look at your paper at exams to cheat because you thought it is immoral?

Or let them copy your homework?

Wow! I didn't know that the majority of LucasArts fans belong to the most tightassed people ever.

Remember Willy Tanner from Alf? Or Mork from Ork?

Don't know why they came to my mind. :D

lamelamelamelamelame... dubiduhu..

Tim Schafer:

"Personally, I'd rather my old games were stolen and played for free than forgotten about."
"Is it piracy? Yeah, sure. But so what?"
"Most of the game makers aren't living off the revenue from those old games anymore. Most of the creative teams behind all those games have long since left the companies that published them, so there's no way the people who deserve to are still making royalties off them. So go ahead--steal this game! Spread the love!"

Well, I'm very ambivalent when it comes to piracy. There are some companies I want to support and therefore I don't copy or download their titles. (LEC being one of these, of course!)

And then there's all the mediocre titles which I want to try, but not so bad that I'm willing to pay 400-500 kroner (53-66$) for them. The industry is full of crap titles, that's why I don't see a problem in dowloading or copying the many mediocre ones and buying the few quality ones. I don't want to support incompetent developers.

GOD DAMNED!

Face it! There is no possible scenario where either LucasArts nor Fujitsu nor the developers of the Zak FM-Town version will ever see a single dime in the future for selling Zak McKracken!

The only people who win (in your naive 8 year old "mum I will never drink alcohol or smoke" world) are those guys that found the game on their attic and are not romantic enough to just keep it and love it but are ignorant and greedy enough to sell the game totally overpriced on ebay cause people like you and me are dedicated enough to even sell their soul to get hands on some original copys of LucasArts stuff.

BUT the real artists (or their not so artistic managers) dont see a ****ing coin! Face it! It is just plain stupid!

God I thought Tim Schafer would convince you but you are all so fundamental about this that you wouldn't even allow your self to think one step further... you might not get into dinky island heaven....

unbelivable

The man has a point. LucasArt's have pretty much made all they can out of the game. Its just a question of are you willing to break the law to play one of LucasArts oldest and most annoying games? No, wait. Are you willing to break the law to play one of LucasArts oldest and most annoying games just because it has more colours than the one you can buy legit?

- Zak McKracken was, is and will be my favorite computer game.

- The enhanced soundtrack is wonderfully showing how this score was ment to be.

- Ripping your ass of to get a triangled DotT box just because it is limited doesn't sound too much more intelligent to me Tones. ;)

- Did you guys know that it is not allowed to sell these games on ebay and so you are at least helping the law to be braked maybe even brake it yourself? Im not a lawyer but I am sure that you have to have the license to sell a game from the company that made it. Dig it up. It at least was that way in germany when these games were new.

Ha! How you like me now!

Look, I collect the boxes. I have all the games, so the boxes are all that I need. But I have them all now anyway (shut up Scabb!)

I would buy a copy of Zak, I'd download it if I could. But I'm a collector. If I just wanted to play the game cos I'd never played it, I'd get the legal version and settle for less colours.

I dont get that...

I mean as LucasArts fans (or Lucasfilm Games.. had to edit that cause it made me feel wrong) we do not have too much changes or exciting things happening, right? I mean here a new boxshot... there some new screenshots... ZzzzzZZzzzz.... Boring!

But then! All of a sudden! A new version of three games are discovered and what do you guys do? Playing name games..

A - Afterlife

B - Boredome

C - Chicken, Diablo

D - ....

I don't get that!

I remember the old Depeche Mode forum collectors debates... they would have freaked out if a new version of Black Celebration would be discovered...

Anyways.. where were we?

F? Y? B?

But they haven't just been discovered! Most of us already knew about the 256 colour version of Zak McKracken, mostly because of the zak256 project, but also through research. The other versions (Loom, Monkey Island 1) were until recently rumours at best, and since this thread have been proven false. They were never ported to FM-Towns, and even so there are 256 colour versions on the PC anyway. There's even a talkie of Loom, which is more exciting than a 256 colour of Zak McKracken that nobody has anyway.

Erm...I'd buy Zak Mcracken if I could. But I can't. So I think I'll just download it and play it, and if it should ever appear on ebay, or if I somehow manage to ship it to the UK, then I'll get it. I've paid for all my other Lucas Arts games. I deserve a freebie, and LEC aren't gonna profit if I buy it from eBay, are they? (Like SOME people do *Cough* Anti-LEC (wants to see them collapse) eBay-person Lucastones *Hack*)

Originally posted by LucasTones

The other versions (Loom, Monkey Island 1) were until recently rumours at best, and since this thread have been proven false. They were never ported to FM-Towns[/b]

Umm. Sorry to bring an old thread to life, but where the heck did you get your information from? :p

There were INDEED FM-Towns versions of Loom, MI1, ecetra. And the enhanced 256-color versions you see on the PC are actually PC ports of the FMTowns version! Yes, The Towns was the FIRST system to have the 256 color versions..

Read my post above:

BTW, just for everyones information, I asked the guy who ported the SCUMM engine to FmTowns what the differences were with the OTHER versions for FmTowns:

"Zak was upgraded from the 8bit world to Towns but never re-released for PC.

The Indy and Loom art generated for FM Towns were used to re-release those two products for PC. That's why there's 16 and 256 color versions of those and only 16 color of Zak on PC."

So basically, two things of note:

1: The enhanced versions of Indy3 and Loom (CD) were originally the FmTowns versions, but backported. Ditto for MI1.

2: If they had the rights to do THAT, why couldn't they do the same for Zak FmTowns? They DIDN'T, but I can't see why they COULDN'T.

Jim ported MI1, MI2, Loom, Indy3, Indy4 and Zak all to the FmTowns.

Originally posted by LucasTones

I thought that LucasArts made the 256 colour versions for the towns, then thought "sod this, PC is wider audience" and just released them on PC instead. I mean, they aren't on the timeline.

Nope, they WERE released. :)

Archived