Home

Sick compulsion

-= GHAZNET =-

Ever notice how pointless bowing before a fight is ?

And to think some people actually believe they are respectable because they bow....pleezzzz

Anyways, i'm not here to whine, but rather here your side of the story...

Come on, all of you nasty lil bowers, make your case. Why should I ?

Well, it's a ready signal, purely a sign of readiness to me....

And you tend to look like a crazed lunatic to me if you just bumrush your opponent in a duel....

That, and tradition....

BTW, thx for not making a poll on this subject, you just saved my day...

I say respect. Besides, it gives people a chance to position themselves.

It just seems more classy then savagely running at your enemy as soon as the duel begins. If I ever meet you in a duel, I'll be sure to watch out for you ;) , but I'll still bow in respect.

I don't bow to people I don't respect.

I don't bow to people I just met.

I CAN bow to people who gives me a good match.

(After playing for a while)

I don't bow, because I'm Darkside, I don't bow because after 3 rounds the opponent could turn out to be a "whining wh0re".

I can bow sometimes, but when I bow it actually means something, it's not just "another tradition" for me.

I bow in respect. I don't bow because I going to fight someone.

90% of newbs bow because everyone else does, not because it's "honorable" or "sign of respect". I see it as pointless and arbitary, all you have to do is own a duel server and NOT bow and then the'll catch on ;).

The worst is when you get kicked for not bowing, damn fools.

Originally posted by -= GHAZNET =-

Ever notice how pointless bowing before a fight is ?

And to think some people actually believe they are respectable because they bow....pleezzzz

Anyways, i'm not here to whine, but rather here your side of the story...

Come on, all of you nasty lil bowers, make your case. Why should I ?

just out of courtesy, that's why.

Personally I don't bow because I didn't know there /was/ a way to bow... But now that I do, how do I do it?

Someone about as undisciplined as you probably doesn't last long at all in a duel... You probably spam dfa, lunge, pull+kick or some other cheesey combination...

Lunge Spammer: crouch... leap...

Me: PUSH!

Lunge Spammer: <flying backwards while doing the lunge and falls off the catwalk, smacking for 50 damage on the floor below>

Poetry in gaming...

Originally posted by zerowingzero

90% of newbs bow because everyone else does, not because it's "honorable" or "sign of respect". I see it as pointless and arbitary, all you have to do is own a duel server and NOT bow and then the'll catch on ;).

The worst is when you get kicked for not bowing, damn fools.

I don't see a point to kicking for not bowing, but I do think a person would be rather rude for not returning a bow... So what if it's just a game... As for respect, it is actually rather respectful... Maybe the Jedi Knights don't do it, but that's because they're too busy defending against the 'bum rushes', as one person put it of their enemies...

Pointless? Arbitary? You Sir have no culture.

What's pointless is not bowing when someone bows... Sure you could strike them down in the middle of the bow, but that is likely to get you kicked on my server. I won't have dishonerable cowards taking advantage of the politeness of others.

I'm not going to claim I'm some expert in Martial Arts, but I did train to third degree blackbelt in Aikido and 1st degree blackbelt in kenpo. Although that was a decade ago and I've since gotten a bit pudgy and haven't practiced or excercised much since the accident I had on a bicycle I was riding. But still maintain the discipline and the relflexes.

The one thing you're taunt in the very beginning of any martial arts class is the bowing before your opponent before a fight simply to say that you're ready.

The Japanese Samurai were obsessed with honor, and it was often a healthy obsession, but at times very unhealthy as well.(Take the head of the fleet that attacked Pearl Harbor... When he realized Pearl Harbor wasn't prepared because they never got the declaration of war, he actually committed suicide as an act to recover his lost honor.)

It IS infact honorable to bow before a fight. Bowing before a fight means you show respect for the opponent because you allow them the chance to ready theirself and visa versa. If you don't understand that, then you have no idea what honor truely means.

If you have no respect for them and no honor you'll rush into one on one battle mindlessly... I'm not saying you have to bow to someone before you snipe them, or bow before firing a rocket... But in a duel it's just plain polite, give them a chance to say they're ready and they should do the same for you...

A duel is a test of skill in one on one combat. If you don't give them the chance to get ready, is it truely a test of skill? Or is it just an act of cowardice?

Well i never said i attacked others while bowing, i just find the whole thing pointless, i don't now the people in real life, it inst a life-or-death situation and in duel servers it just adds to the amount of time someone has to wait to play.

Maybe if i was a martial artist, i would bow before i fought someone in real life, but this is a game, if you lose you respawn, and that's it. I must say what will be next? haveing a 3 minuite convo before each duel to get to know your opponent?

And don't tell my it's in SW character, i've never seen anyone bow in movies (to the best of my knowledge) and if you were REALLY in characters, if i chose a evil model and a red saber, then i would be evil and disrespectfull and not bow anyway.

Damn Fads

Well put Brina, well put.

I will bow, just to let someone know I am ready. But I will keep my eye on you, just in case. I have come across people who don't bow and just run right at you and start hacking, you sir (and you know who you are) are a disgrace! :D

Seriously, like Jais said, It's really a sign of readiness more than anything. Both of us bow or nod and it shows we are both on our guard, ready to go.

Peace:shads2:

In FFA servers: sign of readyness= Accepting the duel.

In Duel servers: sign of readyness equals being active when it's your turn.

I don't see why it's "common courtisy", what i think is common courtisy is not attacking someone before you accept a duel, turning off your saber like you mean to hold on then attack your opponent when they think your afk, not geting in the way of duels in FFA's, and respecting others decisions, i'm not saying you can't bow,i'm just trying to convince you otherwise ;).

Originally posted by zerowingzero

In FFA servers: sign of readyness= Accepting the duel.

In Duel servers: sign of readyness equals being active when it's your turn.

Um no... You don't manually tell the game you're ready to do a duel... You also can't set up your stance before the duel starts... In JediMod you might also have to turn your saber off then switch to a different style like two sabers or a dualbladed saber. I'm sorry but in Duel games, the twosabers doesn't stay with you, and the dualbladed saber never stays with you if you die, you ALWAYS have to redo it.

in an FFA game, accepting a duel turns your sabers off, how is that ready?

Have you no common sense any more than you have common courtesy? Too many times I've had to switch my saber style at the beginning of an FFA duel, but the person rushes into an attack...

Then there's the people that attack me when I have my saber down... Those people usually end up kicked.

As for those that attack me when I'm trying to switch sabers in the middle of a saber duel... They usually end up dead anyway because they're too undisciplined to know that you don't attack someone who isn't ready.

Well if you can't get ready fast enough, it's not the other person's fault, plus you can make a script to turn off your saber and activate the destroyer easily.

More over, in duel enviroments (especially in NF) you can dodge your opponent without too much effort, when you concider the distance of your opponent and the lack of guns in duels.

Bah, down with bowing!

I support the practice of bowing. It gives me time to clear my head in an ffa match and to get into the stance I prefer without giving my position away. I find that most people who are good at duels bow, those that are inexperienced just come out hacking at you. By accepting a duel from someone I am letting them know that I think they are a worthy opponent. I only accept duels from people I have seen engaged in battle. If you suck, then I will not duel you. If your very good I will. What I mean by that is if someone is in blue stance swinging like an idiot for ten minutes then wants a duel I say no. But if someone is rotating thru the stances and working their opponent into a position where they can execute a finishing move, I will duel them. Show some respect to others for once in your life. Not everything is about the kill total. Just because you have the highest score does not mean you are the best Jedi onthe server, It only means that you won. So bow and honor those who oppose you, If you do not you only dishonor yourself.

I'll just say that I'm impressed with the way Brina put it.

Although I don't bow b/c of honor, I DO agree there is honor involved in a computergame... Just like any other game(real, or in cyberspace).

I have been through this discussion so many times you'd think I'm crazy, and I'm not afraid to put out some weighty arguments like Brina did. It's just that I'm a bit tired of it.

I nod to my opponent, like it or not. Whether you bow, nod or don't do anything at all, I don't care. If you rush me, I won't be staring down in the floor... It's amazing how quickly one can move his mouse up and down to nod, innit?

(Plus, Brina has the black belt in aikido, can't argue with that :p)

I'm pretending to be a jedi knight.

And you would think that jedi would have respect for each other.

I'm guessing you guys who don't bow come from more of a quake 3 background where it's all about frag frag frag as fast as you can

I'm pretending to be a jedi knight.

And you would think that jedi would have respect for each other.

I'm guessing you guys who don't bow come from more of a quake 3 background where it's all about frag frag frag as fast as you can

Make that assumption, and I damn well will kick your ass and refuse to bow.

2 years in Quake CTF, 3 years in QWMTF, 3 years in Counter-Strike, 1 year in Unreal Tournament, and a brief stint in Rainbow Six. You want to state that again, Mr. Misinformed?

Originally posted by Rad Blackrose

Make that assumption, and I damn well will kick your ass and refuse to bow.

2 years in Quake CTF, 3 years in QWMTF, 3 years in Counter-Strike, 1 year in Unreal Tournament, and a brief stint in Rainbow Six. You want to state that again, Mr. Misinformed?

Um.... That's exactly his point, from a background where it's nothing but "frag frag frag as fast as you can"

You're really beginning to grate me the wrong way Mr I'llKickYourAss... You ought to do something about that anger, it's not healthy!

Originally posted by cjais

(Plus, Brina has the black belt in aikido, can't argue with that :p)

It's not worth much because I don't practice anymore... The skill I have is more than enough to defend myself against any would be attackers in real life and completely rip them to shreds... But that's only because all would-be real-life attackers are about as undisciplined as it gets...

Archived