Home

Galactic Battlegrounds 2. Should it be 3D?

Guest DarthMaulUK

It could be the best or worst selling RTS of all-time, which is a moot point anyway since it makes no difference to gameplay. AoM shouldn't be used because it doesnt have aircraft, and we will have the same problems with aircraft as we do now. Also, lucasarts arent going to build their own engine because of time and cost. Really, why build your own engine when you can go and licence a perfectly good one?

Originally posted by Darth Windu

(1) It could be the best or worst selling RTS of all-time, which is a moot point anyway since it makes no difference to gameplay. AoM shouldn't be used because it doesnt have aircraft, and we will have the same problems with aircraft as we do now.

(2) Also, lucasarts arent going to build their own engine because of time and cost. Really, why build your own engine when you can go and licence a perfectly good one?

1 - That's why they should build their own 3-d engine, as it will fit the star wars universe perfectly, with flying aircraft, etc.

2 - Are you a moron? Using your logic there would be one game engine and everyone would use it. Why should they use their own engine? Let's see, a lot of people were turned off of GB because it used another engine. In fact, this game's replayability was somewhat reduced for me by the fact that almost every unit with the exception of mechs was an almost exact copy of an AoK unit (though they did balance it better than the not-so-smart ensemble people balanced AoK). Almost every building is a copy of an AoK building. Also, I would assume that they have to pay for the use of the engine, you can't expect someone to just give them a free engine. So any money they save will be lost paying royalties or whatever for the use of the engine. And LucasArts would not be stupid enough to use someone else's engine for a major game. GB was just a small RTS they made to gain experience, since their other RTS's had been horrible. GB also wasn't incredibly successful, despite some members' illusions. Probably the biggest reason was because many people consider it a ripoff of AoK - which it is, though it is still a fun game.

Because of the huge sucess of SWGB I am hoping that Lucasarts will be willing to spend more time and money on the sequel. They will most likely be buying the Age of Mythology engine and with a larger budget they can make the game stand out more from Age of Mythology.

I agree with you Crazyus Dogus

but I never liked 3D rts just because i never saw a utility in zooms and rotation because it can confuse you. And besides, it's better having a sky camera where you can see all of your units and control them better but zoom can be fun if you can use it in recorded games.

I prefer 2-D because if they go to 3-d my video card might be outdated for that. I love strategy games. I first got hooked on command and conquer and now i am stuck on galactic battlegrounds. All I care about in a sequel or expansion pack is the addition of all the capital ships or big ships and increase in civilation population to 500 units. I would also like to see the Tie defender, Tie interceptor and Tie Fighter in the empire airbase at the same time. I am tired of making tie defenders after i upgrade to them. I can't go back and make tie interceptors or tie fighters. I want to make Tie advanced and imperial lamda shuttles at the airbase too. Imperial lamda shuttles are not the same as Imperial Landers. Some people think they are. I would like to see B-wings, V-wings and Millenium Falcon added to the rebel airbase.

i think that Lucasarts will most likely follow with Age of Mythology and CnC Generals. Most people out there are looking for a game with good graphics and a good game play interface. The Age of Empires engine was a great engine but, like the saying, out with the old, in with the new. I agree with anyone that says that Galactic Battlegrounds will probably become a 3d game. Besides, it will look better i think...not saying it doesn't already but aren't we going ahead of ourselves? it hasn't been ewven a year and people are yelling for Galactic Battlegrounds II. Does it seem right?

Archived