Home

JO for XBOX

Floydian

Does anyone know? When Outcast is released for XBOX later this year, and assuming Microsoft has all it's s*it together, will XBOX multiplayers play on the same servers as us PC players? I can imagine a resurgence in interest in this game when that happens. Of course, think of all the newbs that will be out there then :D

How is XBOX going to handle the multiplayer aspect?

Hate to burst your bubble(s), but there is going to be an XBOX release later this year....it will also be for GameCube.

http://www.lucasarts.com/press/releases/58.html

My question still stands...does anyone know what multiplayer support those version will have, and how it will affect the PC players experience?

What is the world coming to? Is nothing sacred anymore? Consoles have their place, but isn't there anything that us PC'ers can call our own anymore -- WC3 I suppose...SWG too!

SON OF A GODDAMN *starts playing A Christmas Story and fast forwards it to whenever the father is in the basement*

I agree! We get ripped off all the time when it comes to consoles, and yet whenever a console ports a game over to us, they completely SUCK. What in the hell!

and if SWG as well as WC3 are ripped off from us, the gloves come the bloody hell off!

Yes, this game is going to X-Box, & probably to other consoles too. This game was designed with consoles in mind, as are most games these days in my opinion.

If this game were truly designed for the PC there would be controller support (which is nonexistant in JKII) & there would not be combo moves (dead giveaway of programming for consoles).

It's gotten so bad, I'm thinking of starting my own game design & peripherals (controllers) production company, due to pure frustration. AARRGGHHH!!!!

Originally posted by ToppDog

Yes, this game is going to X-Box, & probably to other consoles too. This game was designed with consoles in mind, as are most games these days in my opinion.

If this game were truly designed for the PC there would be controller support (which is nonexistant in JKII) & there would not be combo moves (dead giveaway of programming for consoles).

It's gotten so bad, I'm thinking of starting my own game design & peripherals (controllers) production company, due to pure frustration. AARRGGHHH!!!!

combos are console only concepts? I've seen other games which have combos and were for computers only, though they weren't for the PC, they were for Amiga... But don't get me started on how great Amiga is...

To tell you the truth, I don't see what the deal is about consoles... their controler style selections are limited, the games are for the most part uninvolved, lack depth, gameplay is mediocre at best, and the games are rather um, what's the word? simple!

Plus any time they port anything to a console they usually remove the good stuff... Multiplayer is often the first item on the list to be removed from a game ported from computer to console (thankfully... last thing I want is to play a game with a bunch of snot nosed 10 year old brats).

Although I'm against JK2 going to console (mainly because I like to have all my force powers mapped, which won't happen on a console), that doesn't mean that all console games are simple or that the gameplay is mediocore. I for one can't wait for Nintendo to release Metroid Prime and the new Zelda game for the GCN. But I will agree with you that most (not all) console games fall into the category which Brina1 stated.

I'm not trying to rag on consoles, but I will admit that I am somewhat of a PC snob. The last console that I bought was a SNES, so that should tell you something ;)

Brina -- AMIGA? I actually took a college course where we worked on Amigas...:p

Consoles do have their place -- and like you said Walwi -- Metroid and Zelda -- those belong on the console, and not on the PC.

The reason I'm asking this question is because I've got friends who are PS2/XBOX psychos who can't wait to play online with their games...sure, those consoles were built with online support in mind, but as of this date, I'm pretty sure there is no multiplayer support for any of them. I shudder for the day when it begins -- imagine the addition of hundreds or even thousands of new console players everyday clogging up our networks -- sickening!!!

BTW -- I was able to bind commands to my Gravis Grip controller, but it sucked -- this game is perfectly played on a keyboard.

You can't play strategy games or RPG's on consoles.... Nor can you play anything requiring 6 buttons or more...

'Nuff said.

BTW, by RPG's I mean REAL RPG's, not that manga sh*t that's on those consoles.... Sheeeeez, don't people get tired of playing dudes with eyes 3 times the size of a normal head?

If online console games become successful, I hope they don't release keyboards. As a matter of fact, don't even put an in-game chat function in the game. I don't want to hear from whiners. I don't want to see profanity every other word either.

(not trying to get off topic... but, what If they made it so you could only chat if you're dead or spectating. I think that would help these people who like to start chatting in the middle of duels. That annoys me, and if there's no specific rule on the server, I consider them dead. Other people are waiting to play...)

Anyhoo... enough of me ranting off topic.

I think a lot of console gamers will be dissapointed. Most of them probably don't know what lag is, and most of them will be turned off by the quality of gaming they get from plugging their 56k modem into the console.

Originally posted by Rad Blackrose

If I am supposed to take that as an insult to Final Fantasy... *beats cjais senseless* ;)

You'll never get me!!! I will return with my army of real roleplayers!

Death to people with heads as big as their swords! Death to people with mouths as thin as the plot! Death to girls with eyes as big as trucks! Death to girl showing their bare flsh at every conceivable oppurtunity! Death to girls being raped by weird tentacles!

Death... to... manga...

well... ummmmm.....

*Jais flees, once again*

I agree with almost everything you guys are saying. I don't know much about amiga, but when I was talking about combos, I was coming from the angle of an average game player over the past 5 -10 years.

I have noticed that as more & more games are developed by companies who intend to market them for both PC & consoles, that the actual programming is taylored more for the consoles as far as controller issues are concerned.

Since controllers for consoles have a limited amount of buttons to press, programmers have to make combo moves when they don't have enough single buttons to use with a particular console controller. Anybody remember playing Mortal Combat or similar type games & those crazy combos for special attacks?

Designing all versions of the game this way from the start saves developers a lot of time & money, so I can't really blame them. It's just a bit frustrating though that we're the bastard stepkids now compared to those crappy consoles.

I don't think that combos are coded that way they are because there are not enough buttons. Rather, combos make it so the more difficult (and more deadly) moves take a little more skill to pull off.

You mention Mortal Kombat - think BACK,BACK,FOWARD + HIGH PUNCH . In a PC world, this same command would probably *NOT* be binded to a single key.

Combos are supposed to be somewhat difficult to pull off, otherwise every newb would be running around doing the most powerful moves.

We're way off topic here, but oh well ;)

We left EverCrack. We tangoed with Verant about how they couldn't produce a RPG worthy enough to be tagged MMORPG. Especially when you have Brad McQuaid in your guild talking about how bad politics was over there.

Went to DAoC, won't open up there...

We are now at NWN, and thank god.

Originally posted by Rad Blackrose

We left EverCrack. We tangoed with Verant about how they couldn't produce a RPG worthy enough to be tagged MMORPG. Especially when you have Brad McQuaid in your guild talking about how bad politics was over there.

Went to DAoC, won't open up there...

We are now at NWN, and thank god.

Hey Rad.

Is NWN good? I'm considering bying it, but I'm worried that the online community won't take it as seriously as it deserves to be.

And I hear that the sp campaign isn't exactly sh*t, but not nearly good enough.......

What about the graphics and stuff? I *heard* that NWN has some pretty bad animation problems, so I have made up my mind yet....

The SP campaign is not only a good crash course, but it has a pretty decent storyline.

As for bugs in general, 1.22 cleared up a few things and my copy runs fine. There is one lingering problem, and that is the blackscreen of death. It is when you create your character and go to play, yet you can't use it and you are blackscreened. This is the problem my girlfriend has right now that I am trying to get fixed. It occurs due to a firewall blocking UDP packets, which is required to transmit the data to the server. Otherwise, there are little bugs that do not kill the game.

The multiplayer has some great campaigns/worlds coming out, some being in development. Some worthy to mention are the Greyhawk Council servers, the 1st Fist of Light server's world of Ravendorf, and Urath.

Archived