Home

Where are all the duelers going?

pvpguy

Originally posted by Cedrin

I think saber/force duels are pretty lame in my opinion. No force duels is where the skill is at.

well said that man, the infuriating thing with force servers is that people tend to avoid being near the opposition at all costs. Man, i tell u, I cant stand it when people 'try' to fight from distance, it really is tiresome.

• 4 weeks later...

IF you want a real challenge, then step on over to the Darkside servers, there are 5 1.04 servers and 1 1.02 server

65.107.31.186:28076

65.107.31.186:28070

65.107.31.186:28071

65.107.31.186:28072

65.107.31.186:28073

Hope you get back to playing!

Give yourself just only 3 days in these servers,you play on these servers exclusivly for 3 days, no others....at the end of the 3 days, everything else on the net will feel like a let down

I'm not that good at force duels yet, and I agree that it can be annoying when some no skill n00b kills by dropping you off a ledge with grip while you are low on force pool. But i've seen enough guys with crazy skillz clean in force duels that there is obviously mad skill to it, just like any other style of dueling.

I usually own in NF duels. But i'm working on getting better in force duels as well. I think you have to be great at both if you want to truly be a master

I play SO NF Duel most of the time. I tend to like it a bit more. I agree with Cedrin and Jah, SO NF usually involves more skill on the part of the players. Knowing when to strike and move away. It's like a dance as it were. "Shall we Tango"? :D

FF Saber duels are not fun for me, IMO. I just don't care to much for them. To many times people run and heal or just use one move over and over. NF duels are more fun for me, as I like to try to master the saber and know all the moves and when to use them.

I go to Darkside servers all the time, when I can't get into my Hermes :p Love the DS, all good players and well mannered (most of them) I even had a good run there the other night.

I like 1.04, course, I didn't play on 1.02. I got the game and 1.03 was out and I went right to it, not knowing. I played 1.03 until the 1.04 patch came out. I hated 1.03, to many backstabbers.

Peace

The best NF dueling is to be had at the Darkside servers. There are five 1.04 servers & one 1.02 server. They are low ping & have a wide selection of maps. A lot of really good players are there all the time, & there are plenty of admins around to keep things fun for all too. The atmosphere there is pretty cool!

You can check out their website at www.darkstats.com for more info & rules.

I think saber/force duels are pretty lame in my opinion. No force duels is where the skill is at.

Nothing personal guy, but...

Heavy side swing, crouch, step back, heavy side swing, crouch, repeat for 30 minutes....

Zzzzzzzzzzz......

What is a "combo" in NF duels?

A simple side swing and at the end of the swing press your "back" directional key.

Err, yeah real complicated stuff there.

Try pulling this off on the fly during a "lame" Force duel.

Charge in (avoiding any attack your opponent may try) and toss a saber at point blank range, just before it lands (you better be fast because it flys quick as Hell) hit your "Force pull" key, immediately go into a flip kick (they will slide into you), as the kick animation begins start "winding up" a heavy stance overhead swing, as your opponent is propelled back from the kick, launch into a DFA just as your feet hit the ground.

The funny thing is, the same people who would call a combo like that "lame" (due to the incredible damage) could practice at it for weeks and still never be able to pull it off against a seasoned opponent.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying NF duels require no skill, anything, even a stun baton fight requires skill.

It's just the speed and complexity that are missing.

I'm not saying one takes more skill; it's just a matter of complexity and required speed.

NF SO requires you to use 4 movement keys, 1 attack key, a jump key and a duck key.

FF requires all that plus a secondary attack key and anywhere from 2 to 5 more keys for your Force Powers.

Now not only do FF players have to know the saber attacks and defenses (believe it or not you will deplete your Force pool now and then and end up having to use the saber) but you have to know how to do and counter dozens of Force based combos and you have to be able to do them instantly.

There is a huge difference in the reaction speed and reflexes required in dodging a heavy swing from an opponent who is a step away and dodging a pull+kick from an opponent who is at the same distance.

There is definitely skill required in NF SO though, I think one of the greatest assets a NF SO player can have is patience and the ability to not "jump the gun" and make stupid attack attempts.

My main weakness as a player is my impatience, even in FF duels. If it turns into a "constant run/Drain/run Heal" match I get frustrated and play sloppy as Hell.

I can see where some people get frustrated with the "ranged" attacks in a FF duel, and yeah it is lame.

Level 2 Lightning/Drain can score a hit from across the entire map so long as the crosshair is lit up. That's just plain dumb, and 99.9% of the skilled FF duel players do not tolerate it or do it.

But like the "headless chickens" found in NF SO games, we all have our "black sheep".

When i host i have:

force at jedi guardian + forceregen 3000 and saberdamagescale 4

this seems quite balanced and is very much like 'the moviez'

this prevents forcespamming as you dont have much points and you'd want to have a full forcepool IF you survive a hit to heal a bit...

heavy stance always kills with these settings and you JUST MIGHT survive a medium hit(or maybe even 2!): just like :

dooku hit obi1 twice and then he had like 4 hp left.. your as good as dead

Originally posted by Homosexual Ewok

I'm not saying one takes more skill; it's just a matter of complexity and required speed.

NF SO requires you to use 4 movement keys, 1 attack key, a jump key and a duck key.

FF requires all that plus a secondary attack key and anywhere from 2 to 5 more keys for your Force Powers.

Now not only do FF players have to know the saber attacks and defenses (believe it or not you will deplete your Force pool now and then and end up having to use the saber) but you have to know how to do and counter dozens of Force based combos and you have to be able to do them instantly.

There is a huge difference in the reaction speed and reflexes required in dodging a heavy swing from an opponent who is a step away and dodging a pull+kick from an opponent who is at the same distance.

There is definitely skill required in NF SO though, I think one of the greatest assets a NF SO player can have is patience and the ability to not "jump the gun" and make stupid attack attempts.

My main weakness as a player is my impatience, even in FF duels. If it turns into a "constant run/Drain/run Heal" match I get frustrated and play sloppy as Hell.

I can see where some people get frustrated with the "ranged" attacks in a FF duel, and yeah it is lame.

Level 2 Lightning/Drain can score a hit from across the entire map so long as the crosshair is lit up. That's just plain dumb, and 99.9% of the skilled FF duel players do not tolerate it or do it.

But like the "headless chickens" found in NF SO games, we all have our "black sheep".

Also the saber throw whores, they really piss me off, they never wanna fight face to face, they will just stand back and throw the damn saber over and over, that is one of the main reasons I play NF SO duels, too many ppl in FF servers "fighting from a distance".

I left because of 1.04, I have to agree, (as far as force powers go) it was very much nerfed so that it would be easier for newbies. It is my opinion that there was much more skill and tactics involved in 1.02 and 1.03

I may come back to check out artifex's pro mod though. I really loved the game and played for about 3-4 hours a night, but after the patch I found the game to be lifeless and unexciting. they took the hardest skill to learn in the game and wiped it out

Unless your playing CTF, full force is pretty annoying in my opinion. I'm a fan of saber combat and actually would like to fight with my saber. That's completely the opposite in full force. You will have your kick spammers, you will have your saber throw spammers, push/pull spammers and more. Most of the time playing full force, the only time the other person uses their saber is you hit you while you are on the ground.

What skilled saber combat is that? There is no balance between saber combat vs force combat. It's 90% force skill and 10% saber skill.

Sure FF is skilled but much more of it relies on the ability to use your force powers.

On the other hand, SO NF combat is much more stimulating and fierce. Saber skill is relied apon 100%.

Homosexual Ewok, if you think SO NF is all heavy then I suggest that you stop playing on the Red Hand servers and find more skilled players. If you want to try out some good SO NF dueling, try playing on the Darkside servers. A lot of experienced duelist use a combination of all 3 stances not heavy which is a fairely weak stance if your opponet knows how to counter it.

Homosexual Ewok, if you think SO NF is all heavy then I suggest that you stop playing on the Red Hand servers and find more skilled players. If you want to try out some good SO NF dueling, try playing on the Darkside servers. A lot of experienced duelist use a combination of all 3 stances not heavy which is a fairely weak stance if your opponet knows how to counter it.

Red Hand????

I don't play there.

I only play on Quakesh1t East, Quakesh1t West, our clan server (STD) and the Gamers.com Full Force duel servers # 1, 2, and 3.

That's it, no more.

My main gripe (other than the slow pace) about NF is the very reason promod exists:

The random factor(s) of the saber collision and hit detection.

If I kick you and make contact, you get hit.

If I Grip, you choke.

If I use Lightning, (I don't though) you fry.

But.....

Sometimes I take a heavy stance swing (Hell, any stance really) and I watch my saber pass right through your body, yet no damage.

And, before anyone says it is ping related, I'm talking about a duel with two 40 ping players.

I really don't like the Force related changes in promod, but as far as sabers go, it does it right.

What skilled saber combat is that? There is no balance between saber combat vs force combat. It's 90% force skill and 10% saber skill.

Sure FF is skilled but much more of it relies on the ability to use your force powers.

You are 100% correct.

Why?

Because as far as attack options go, sabers are a poor choice.

Now when I say they are a poor choice, I mean when compared to the other options I have to attack with, and when I weigh the positive and negative aspects of each attack, sabers are at the bottom of the list.

1-Limited range of movement while executing the swing.

2-Very easy to avoid.

3-Low damage.

4-Rather slow when compared to attacks like pull+kicks.

They didn't always be this way, but the whole patch debate stuff is pretty moot by now.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived