Home

Music Recommendations

Doubleplus GC

The fucking champs defy all description. They aren't metal, but they're not quite math-rock either. They could easily be my favorite band ever. III is a plain kick-ass insane album, IV was insane and well-written, so is V. Easily the top 3 albums I can't live without.

and I hate metal, cookie monster stuff in particular.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little Debra trivia: I live in the town Beck mentioned in the song...and we have Zankou Chicken here (also in the song). Best chicken in the goddamn world.

Lacrimosa rocks! What do you mean the singing is bad? Tilo Wolfe is a good vocalist, besides he has a great look. I'm not a big fan of the girl in the band though.

System Of A Down and Dead Milkmen's "Stuart" rule. "Proto Culture", MuDvAyNe, Fuing Champs' "Extra Man"... cool.

Basement Jaxx "Where's Your Head At"

Hypocrisy "Death Row (No Regrets)"

Motörhead "Brave New World" (...if Jesus showed up now, he'd be in jail by next week...)

Beethoven "Funeral March" (don't confuse with Chopin's)

Delibes "Flower Duet"

Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers "Mary Jane's Last Dance"

Zager & Evans "In The Year 2525"

Die Firma "Kap der guten Hoffnung"

Basis "Ich will euer Leben nicht"

put web sites' URLs in here for rough translation

Also recommending Corvus Corax "Rabenballade" (stupid story of the mandatorily bored king and the jester set aside)

Slipknot is by far the best structured bad band in existence. What's the point of having two drummers each doing insane beats when the guitars are so loud and fuzzy it crowds out all the other music? And I just can't ever like a band where they have a hardcore metal song about not being able to sleep ("insomni-omni-omni-omni-aaaaaahhhhh!!!!" what the hell?).

Basement Jaxx are awesome. It's lame that Where's Your Head At? is in a Pringles commercial now, but that's a great song.

For Portishead fans out there, or anyone else into downbeat female-fronted music (I refuse to call it "trip-hop," but that's the yppuie-ass term for it), take a look at Denali. A friend who works in a bookstore the other day was playing a Portishead song, and we started talking about the genre of music, and she recommended them. I've since snagged Prozac and Time Away. Proxac is haunting, the way it's so quiet and never really begins or ends, it just starts and runs and stops. Very hazy. I'm listening to Time Away right now and it's very very good.

I didn'tknow System of a Down covered Stuart. They are so talented, I wish they could make all their songs of parallel quality to Chop Suey! and Spiders.

Also downloaded Harmony by Clinic. It's very good, but from what I gather about the band, their songs don't stand on their own too well. Worth getting an album, I guess. It's off to Amoeba with me!

Still can't catch whoever it is who has Twitch. Must get some Twitch! They have way long-assed songs, man. They beat Lacrimosa's "up to 10 minutes" down, boy! They average 12! Ha! Not that any of it compares to Estradasphere; Hungerstrike clocks in at 19 1/2, but that pales in comparison to The Box by Orbital, which is half an hour all together. I wish most of the mainstream world wasn't so afraid to make a song longer than 3:30. One of Linkin Park's many faults. God, they suck.

Originally posted by Doubleplus GC

One of Linkin Park's many faults. God, they suck.

The GC guy speaks wisely.

That's what I'm listening to at this very moment (on me iPaq):

Corvus Corax "Avanti"

Far "Sorrow's End....", "Job's Eyes", "Girl"

Jerry Goldsmith - First Blood "Home Coming", "It's A Long Road (instrumental)"

Jerry Goldsmith - Rambo: First Blood Part 2 "Main Title" (the movie sucks big roosters, its music rules)

The Avalanches were on Live 105 a week or so ago and they played some song where they mixed in a sample from My Red Hot Car (Squarepusher). They are really cool.

mxbx, if you're around, you seem well versed in Brainiac; any song suggestions? They have so many to choose from, I need some direction. The same goes for some of those other bands you recommended, I need some song titles 'cuz I'm on a dial-up and I've no time to get songs that are less-than-worthy to eat up space on my rapidly diminishing hard drive.

Oh yeah, and if anyone wants to indulge their idiot-tooth, get Flat Beat by Mr. Oizo. That song is so stupid but fun. You'll really have to see the video, Oizo is so funny to look at.

Braniac songs that are good:

"*****footin'"

"Vincent come on down"

"Hot seat can't sit down"

actually, the whole album "Hissing Prigs in Static Couture" is damn good.

I'll look for the rest of em later.

I don't know why the word p-u-s-s-y doesn't show up. Maybe because we are in Stalinist Russia. In that event, don't expect to see me ever again because someone's knocking on my door.

• 4 weeks later...

Bands I have recently come to possess an album of from Amoeba Records:

Denali - Denali: self-titled album, extremely good, I much recommend. The two songs I had downloaded (Prozac and Time Away) turned out to be the two slowest and most downbeat songs on the album, so to anyone who may have taken my recommendation and snagged them: the rest are much more active, the band has a lot more energy than those two. Those two are still fantastic. Get You File and Gunner as well if you insist on not getting the damn album.

Enon - High Society: the new album. It is very good. If you have Believo! already, it will seem very different. Far fewer samples, far fewer synths, much more guitar and odd time signatures. More mature, less charming, essentially. Still very good, a little more like the one Brainiac song I have heard. Toko Yasuda actually sings a few songs on this one; her voice is very interesting, it and her bass-ing add a layer to the music that I for one like but Steve does not like her voice as much... he likes sexy deep voices in his women. Whatever, I go with whatever works. Very good, get Count Sheep and Old Dominion and Natural Disasters.

Muse - Showbiz: you know all those bands where when you ask "what are they like?" the other guy says "they're kinda like Radiohead" and then you listen to them and they sound nothing like Radiohead because "like Radiohead" simply means "it's really hard to define and it's really good" (see: Sigur Ros, The Burning Paris, Clinic). Well, Muse actually does sound a lot like Radiohead. Maybe I wouldn't say that if the singer didn't sound so uncannily like Thom Yorke, but they do seem to take a little from Pablo Honey in style and quite a bit from OK Computer in terms of computer-y noises and ambient textures. It's like, take two parts Radiohead and two parts emo and a whole bitchassload of originality and that's them. Really good. Haven't listened to it extensively enough to recommend any specifics, but really all the tracks off the album are great.

Orbital - In Sides: these songs are all too damn long to download (of course, I did download P.E.T.R.O.L. and that's over six minutes, and though Halcyon + On + On is from a different album, I downloaded that one and it's ten), but this one has The Box and Time Flys and a whole load of other good sht. Just buy it, it was cheap.

Yann Tierson - Original Score from Amelie: because I'm a sucker.

My self...I like

Default: Deny, Live a lie

Linkin Park: All of their songs, really....

NickelBack: Never Again, How You Remind Me, Woke Up This Morning, Too Bad, HollyWood, Where do I hide, Good Times Gone

Every f'ing Sugar Ray song....Hey, plus I met em

• 2 weeks later...

What reunion tour? TMBG never broke up.

FYI, Apollo 18 and Flood are both superior to Lincoln, I believe, as any TMBG fan can tell you. What I've heard of Lincoln, however, I think was really good. If I've even heard it.

If you really want TMBG, after getting Flood and Apollo 18, get Then... The Early Years, which is both their first albums and a whole lot of unreleased tracks and B-sides. The official word from my fellow TMBG fan friend Blake is "tasty."

• 4 weeks later...

Bought Denali and Portishead. "Prozac" and "Time Away" rule, like GC said. Another Portishead song I'd like to recommend is "Roads". It was the best song in the Tank Girl movie (sand shower scene).

Tristania "Deadlocked" (also "Simbelmyne", "The Shining Path", "Wormwood" und "Crushed Dreams")

I was actually planning on mentioning that, Alien, good work. I have been relistening to Dummy a lot lately and Roads is by far the best track on the album. That song makes me hypothermic.

Their second, self-titled album is supposed to be pretty damn good. Their live album, PNYC, is phenomenal. As if Sour Times couldn't kick more ass...

In other news, Mindless Self Indulgence is, like, really cool and stuff. They are so far over the top it looks like the bottom. Little Jimmy Urine is probably the greatest vocalist in history, and he's so fucking annoying, too! Really, download Backmask if you don't believe me.

New Albums (!), courtesy of Haight Street:

A Perfect Circle - Mer de Noms: Fantastic. Cuts = 3 Libras, Judith, Rose, Sleeping Beauty... most tracks won't hold up as well out of the context of the album, though.

Atmosphere - Lucy Ford: the collection of EP's Slug wrote about losing the love of his life and the mother of his son (don't know if she was actually named Lucy Ford or not). Really awesome stuff. Cuts = Between The Lines, Guns And Cigarettes, Don't Ever Fucking Question That, Free Or Dead, Nothing But Sunshine.

AFI - Black Sails In The Sunset: Likewise fantastic, though it also won't hold up as indivicual songs, but rather more of an album. Cuts that might = Malleus Maleficarum, Clove Smoke Catharsis, God Called In Sick Today, and whatever the bonus track may be called.

Hey, I stuck entirely to bands at the very beginning of the alphabet. Gloob!

• 2 months later...

It would appear that I'm going to have to buy the Neotropic album myself, because despite express prodding towards it a Christmas and a birthday have now passed and no one has gotten it for me.

The new Sigur Ros is good.

The Radiohead live recordings are good.

Faith No More's Angel Dust is truly great, but I think it was a bad starting place. I'm pretty sure I was supposed to start with The Real Thing because it's more easily-accessable, and then mature in my FNM tastes and get Angel Dust. As a standalone, AD has quite the learning curve.

Get their cover of Ozzy's War Pigs. Powerful and now topical!

• 2 months later...

The new Radiohead album can be found here, a couple of months before it's released (although I'm sure most of you are aware of the leak). The quality is pretty good, I hear it's not the final mix but it sounds pretty solid.

I'm a tiny bit disappointed though after one listen. It has some great tracks, in fact, all are good, but it doesn't seem to work very well as an album.

Got new albums from both Lemon Jelly and Bent. "Lost Horizons" is fabulous, perhaps better than Lemonjelly.ky. Do check out the music video for "For The Ducks" if you get a chance, it's very psychedelic. I still have mixed opinions about Bent's "The Everlasting Blink" - there are great songs on it, but on whole it isn't as interesting as "Programmed To Love" was. I dunno, hopefully it'll grow on me.

Other recent purchases: Alberto Iglesias - Hable con ella OST, Fatboy Slim - Live on Brighton Beach, mixed club compilations from bargain bin.

Archived