Home

ArtifeX's ProMod 1.0 Beta -- Released

ArtifeX

Originally posted by Deadeye

Im a bit confused as to how blocking worked in each of the patches and how it works in ProMod. As I understand it, the game autoblocks when you don't swing the saber. I don't know if it blocks EVERY attack (DFA, etc), but that's how you block.

Blocking in 1.03 and 1.04 happens whenever you're not swinging your saber and you have your opponent somewhere in your front-facing 180-degree view. Either your sabers just happen to hit each other, or you autoblock, simple as that.

In ProMod, if your and your opponent's saber come into contact, both players CSC's are tested, and a resulting effect is determined, either a block, deflect, knockaway or defense breaker depending on how the two values are compared. If one player's saber slips past the other's defenses, then CSC's are likewise checked for whether the defender has a value high enough to block the attack.

In either case, the higher CSC wins, though the defender always has a slight (very slight) advantage to their CSC to make blocking slightly easier.

A good general principle would be if you're attacking, try not to hit your opponent's saber when you swing. If you're defending, try to use Light or Medium stances which place your saber out in front of your body like a shield.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

don't worry, my foremost concern is improving the gameplay. I won't try to put in extras until all core components are 100% finished.

Originally posted by Canis_Aureus

This mod just feels right... you need control now and the blocking system is really good. Keep up the good work and don't listen to requests for content like emotes etc. Keep focus on gameplay please ... I really think this mod can make saber combat really great.

It's because in Strong, your saber is held back behind your body where it can't deflect incoming attacks, so you're almost completely reliant on your CSC defense skill to block for you. Your extended, ready saber is always your first line of defense.

You can actually block with the Strong saber while looking directly at your opponent, but if your opponent is looking directly at you, then you've got a serious problem...

I'll take note of this and see if this needs rebalancing.

Originally posted by Canis_Aureus

I tried testing the blocking system against a bot. Blue and yellow works fine, but with red you don't really block even when the crosshair is perfectly small and red... is this intentional? Will making one tactic against red style possible... the headless chicken style... just flail at red style users until they die or until no one uses red style.

Played it about 5-6 Hours continiously today. Also done many many tests with the saber combat

Here are my comment tos ArtifeX:

The Good

- The Saber Combat is awesome because the Special Moves are very risky but still useful in many cases.

- The damages are greatly balanced. Unfortunately I couldn't use the Blue Stance so much except from the Front Ludge but that's something that will change soon as players will play/practise more.

- The blocking is as it must be. All swings are completely blocken if your the enemy is facing you except from the DFA and Air Flip. The Blue Ludge is fully blocken now, Something very good because it started to be spammed lately. Air Flip and DFA should remain unblockable because they are easily countered and are very risky.

The Bad

- Except from the bugs that other players reported there is nothing bad with this awesome mod. Maybe there are some issues with the FFA/CTF/Gun games which I don't play. Since I play only duels I can't comment on these.

- We need more servers! Especially Duel ones.

- - - - - - - - - -

ArtifeX

Don't make rapid changes in the future version(s). All we need is standarized settings for saber combat that please most people and also require skill. Don't do changes like to stop the throwed saber with push. These changes seems interesting in the beginning but later they create problems. Just think of it, it would be cool to defend throws with push, but from the other side, imagine that advantage that the Gunners will get since they will simply absorb and throwed saber with one key/button.

Also don't give us the ability to change so many things. I don't know if it is possible but you should try to prevent people/servers from changing damage scale, ghoul2, sabertracesaberfirst and much more because there will be splits of the community again.

We want standart settings for everyone that plays this mod.

Congrats, this mod is the FIRST serious mod that finally tries to balance the game.

Other mods tried it (JK2++) but completely failed.

Ending it.. Don't do any joke and include duel sabers and these shi-t that noobs want to have fun. This mod is for Professionals as you said. Don't rely only on the community, you know that will happen if you rely completely on them....

Originally posted by ArtifeX

Thanks for the heads up, Rad. I'll make sure to put up a list of all the servers running ProMod on the official site once I get a chance to work on it.

i'd help you make the official site but i'm a little tied up with two sites of my own right now (warcraft 3 and jedi headquarters)

http://jkhq.ath.cx

http://wc3.ogresnet.com

Artifex,

I like this mod very much...at last saber fighting is as it should be.

This whole system is great!

I just played it with bots and tested the blocking system. My question is, that you technically block, but you don't use the blocking animations at all. I stood there with light stance and blocked all incoming attacks (technically), but I didn't see any blocking animations as you can see in SP. My question is, can you make the MP game actually use the SP blocking animations when you block attacks? That would be great...

Keep up the good work...

So, basically, we don't really have to change our saber tactics to much, we just have to aim better, right?

Another question. What is the difference, between a Block, Deflect (same as parry?), and knockaway. I'm not looking for definitions of the term, I'd like to know what happens in-game when each of those things happen. Who has the advantage in each of those situations?

I second the blocking animation request.

Artifex

I'm running your mod on my server and I was wondering, is the mod a server side mod or do my clients need to have it to?

The reason I ask is, I would like to extract the pk3 like you can with Vulcan Adminmod so my clients don't have to download it when they connect.

Is this possible with your mod?

Lemme ask the n00bish-question of the day:

How do you host a ProMod game?

I know how to host a "normal" 1.04 game, and all the other (admin/jedi-) mods can be chosen from the list...except Promod...?!

I have tried it out on another server so, yes, it should be "installed" correctly.

Still, it won't show up on the mods-list. :(:confused:

You can however download it if the server has autodownload-on (I think).

That's the problem, I don't want them having to download it. I run mostly custom maps and I don't want them having to download both the mod and the maps. As it is most people don't wait for the maps. And I don't want to disable auto download because of the maps.

Besides, I really only want people joining who already have the mod and actually have read the readme. I getting tired of newbies who are saying that the only difference they can see is a new crosshair and then bitching when they die or take damage they wouldn't of had in the typical game. It's ridiculas trying to explain such a complex mod to them. I love how people join modded servers and have no clue what the mod does.:rolleyes:

It doesn't bother me that a newbie joins my server provided they listen and most are good about it, but of course there are the ones who don't and then bad mouth the mod or the server. As much as I'd like to be in my server all the time, I can't, I do have a life outside the computer.

Server-Side Mods create problems with the movements.

Like what? I haven't noticed anything like this, so can you please clarify.

I'm sorry, this has become somewhat of a rant, so I'll stop here.

Excellent mod. I hate it when bums just hack away and actually win duels. My only question, can the second crosshair be toggled on or off? If not can that option be added to the next version? Its a good practice tool, but when in multiplayer it adds an unfair balance. More experience saberists know instinctively how to pick their shots, while newbies would simply rely on the crosshair.

I always goto jah warriors server and my views will probably reflect his.

Most of the things he said i'd prob agreew ith cos i palyed it with him alot.

The default damage is a bit too high i think and you end up with real sohrt matches and lucky kills.

I like the colour thing abotu the damage and stuff, quite neat but i think it's reinvented that prob in 1.02 where you could slah right across them and it cna go thorugh them if you are very clsoe to them.

Soemtiems when you block it doesn't show an animation

Alot of the ityme when the action gets close sometiems the otehr guy dies form the you hit but quickly jsut go the other direction, liek the double yellow slashes but its too pwoerful and will kill osmeone with full health. It seems it goes behind the defense and they can't block.

Just pointing a few things out there. otherwise it's pretty cool. I leik how thw blue spammer cna jsut charge in, he'll get his ass handed to him :D

Overall it's a good mod with a few flaws ubt it's in beta :)

Nicely written feedback, Greek. Thanks for that.

I'm completely on top of the bug list right now. Once the reports start to fall off, i'll release a beta 2 that will include all the bug fixes and probably a bit of the new features (depending on how earth-shattering the bugs are).

I can already tell you that the Push and Saber Throw thing will be well balanced with guns. I've got a very, very evil solution to many of the Guns vs. Sabers gripes. :)

Originally posted by GrEEk_OuTcAsT

Played it about 5-6 Hours continiously today. Also done many many tests with the saber combat

Here are my comment tos ArtifeX:

The Good

- The Saber Combat is awesome because the Special Moves are very risky but still useful in many cases.

- The damages are greatly balanced. Unfortunately I couldn't use the Blue Stance so much except from the Front Ludge but that's something that will change soon as players will play/practise more.

- The blocking is as it must be. All swings are completely blocken if your the enemy is facing you except from the DFA and Air Flip. The Blue Ludge is fully blocken now, Something very good because it started to be spammed lately. Air Flip and DFA should remain unblockable because they are easily countered and are very risky.

The Bad

- Except from the bugs that other players reported there is nothing bad with this awesome mod. Maybe there are some issues with the FFA/CTF/Gun games which I don't play. Since I play only duels I can't comment on these.

- We need more servers! Especially Duel ones.

- - - - - - - - - -

ArtifeX

Don't make rapid changes in the future version(s). All we need is standarized settings for saber combat that please most people and also require skill. Don't do changes like to stop the throwed saber with push. These changes seems interesting in the beginning but later they create problems. Just think of it, it would be cool to defend throws with push, but from the other side, imagine that advantage that the Gunners will get since they will simply absorb and throwed saber with one key/button.

Also don't give us the ability to change so many things. I don't know if it is possible but you should try to prevent people/servers from changing damage scale, ghoul2, sabertracesaberfirst and much more because there will be splits of the community again.

We want standart settings for everyone that plays this mod.

Congrats, this mod is the FIRST serious mod that finally tries to balance the game.

Other mods tried it (JK2++) but completely failed.

Ending it.. Don't do any joke and include duel sabers and these shi-t that noobs want to have fun. This mod is for Professionals as you said. Don't rely only on the community, you know that will happen if you rely completely on them....

Archived