Home

ArtifeX's ProMod 1.0 Beta -- Released

ArtifeX

The absence of a normal block animation is high on my bug list. It'll be a very quick and simple thing to deal with, and will most certainly be in Beta 2.

Originally posted by Kettch

Artifex,

I like this mod very much...at last saber fighting is as it should be.

This whole system is great!

I just played it with bots and tested the blocking system. My question is, that you technically block, but you don't use the blocking animations at all. I stood there with light stance and blocked all incoming attacks (technically), but I didn't see any blocking animations as you can see in SP. My question is, can you make the MP game actually use the SP blocking animations when you block attacks? That would be great...

Keep up the good work...

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Block - You take no damage, and the enemy saber continues on it's normal path.

Deflect/Parry - You take no damage, and the enemy saber is redirected slightly, opening them up to counterattack.

Knockaway - You take no damage, and the enemy saber's momentum is thrown back on itself, resulting in a huge hole opening up in their defenses.

Originally posted by CoreyGH

So, basically, we don't really have to change our saber tactics to much, we just have to aim better, right?

Another question. What is the difference, between a Block, Deflect (same as parry?), and knockaway. I'm not looking for definitions of the term, I'd like to know what happens in-game when each of those things happen. Who has the advantage in each of those situations?

I second the blocking animation request.

Unfortunately, no. The CS Crosshair itself is 100% client-side code. Without it, no one would be able to see the crosshair. Sorry, but I think the crosshair's probably worth the whopping 520kb download. :)

Originally posted by blackfire

Artifex

I'm running your mod on my server and I was wondering, is the mod a server side mod or do my clients need to have it to?

The reason I ask is, I would like to extract the pk3 like you can with Vulcan Adminmod so my clients don't have to download it when they connect.

Is this possible with your mod?

Sorry man, but the CSC's being visible to everyone is here to stay. It's the most valuable piece of visual feedback in the HUD.

Originally posted by keo718

Excellent mod. I hate it when bums just hack away and actually win duels. My only question, can the second crosshair be toggled on or off? If not can that option be added to the next version? Its a good practice tool, but when in multiplayer it adds an unfair balance. More experience saberists know instinctively how to pick their shots, while newbies would simply rely on the crosshair.

Guest Sabre9
Originally posted by ArtifeX

Thanks for posting these Saber!

NP!

Here's an updated list:

64.247.218.166:28070

63.99.213.122:28070

217.39.108.1:28070

203.79.89.51:28075

134.114.32.159:28070

61.214.29.80:1037

62.20.195.154:28070

68.82.94.167:33052

24.164.102.118:28070

209.54.74.216:28070

64.162.20.42:28070

24.218.10.161:28071

130.161.36.97:28070

Guest Sabre9
Originally posted by ArtifeX

Block - You take no damage, and the enemy saber continues on it's normal path.

Deflect/Parry - You take no damage, and the enemy saber is redirected slightly, opening them up to counterattack.

Knockaway - You take no damage, and the enemy saber's momentum is thrown back on itself, resulting in a huge hole opening up in their defenses.

Artifex:

Questions - if I'm using Red stance, would I have enough time to attack in a Deflect/Parry situation? Or how about Knockaway? I guess another way to ask is, what's the most damage-dealing stance one can use in a Deflect/Parry, and in a Knockaway?

Artiflex,

I really like what your intending to accomplish with this Mod. I've played a bit the last couple of evenings and have found sabering has that "on the edge of your seat feeling" to it. I've played Heretic 2 quite a bit and have been waiting for patches or Mod to provide similar control to JK2. You've made some very nice improvements.

I've petitioned Raven regularly for better control of defense, but instead they gave no control over defense and somewhat excessive blocking. The CSC is an excellent idea and adding levels of defense to the different stances makes a lot of sense.

Here are some ideas for your consideration (they maybe a bit too complicated and convoluted but I'll list them anyway). You could take defense one step further by adding "context sensitive" saber blocking (not other weapons) as a modifier to increase the strategic nature of saber duels.

Example: (not necessarily in this order or to this degree but as a general idea)

Standing stationary, ducking or walking facing opponent = High-defense-modifier for blue stance, Medium-defense-modifier for yellow/red (standing stationary could have an even greater arc than 180 degrees but would be susceptible to kicks).

Running = Medium-defense-modifier for blue stance, low-defense-modifier for yellow and red.

Attacking = Medium-defense-modifier for blue stance, low-defense-modifier for yellow, no-defense for red.

The movement-defense-modifier could be added/subtracted to the CSC value check or there could be a change in the defensive arc - increasing or decreasing depending on movement context.

This might also help fix the combo-attack susceptibility that currently exist with the ProMod. A combo could maintain a defensive arc relative to direction (not facing). As blue stance is combo dependent this might help balance it up to yellow and red stance. In other words allow a degree of forward directional defense while executing a combo.However, successfully counter-attacking an opponent executing a combo would jam their combo attack as a block and knock-away instead of applying damage.

Another way to help blue stance out a bit would be to add a "jam attack" or block attack i.e. if a blue stance horizontal slash is executed successfully while an opponent is in mid swing then a high defense(block) modifier would be triggered.

The CSC could even provide offensive and defensive value "feedback" simultaneously. Maybe the line could become thicker the greater the defense or more broken (dashed lined) the less the defense.

I personally would like to see the CSC more clearly! maybe as a thick translucent ring.(translucency slider as well?)

JK2 focused primarily on offensive attacks and left defense as a random blanket requiring little skill. The only thing that could be added to offense is the ability to bind all saber swings to specific buttons regardless of direction (excluding special attacks) while still maintaining the default "context sensitive" attack system. Players would most likely develop a personal style using only a few of the binded attacks. I use a programmable controller that allows me to execute any attack while moving in any direction and it definitely adds depth to game play. More control means added strategy.

Hope you find something useful in the above ideas.

Once again nice job with ProMod keep up the great work!

Guest Sabre9

Artifex,

I do have one request - make Red (all?) stance(s) a one-hit-kill vs a gun user, even at 200/100. By the time a saber user gets past the gunners HR secondary, Golans, Rockets, and (if force is on) Force powers, and is actually able to get to the gunner who'se using force speed/jump to stay away, if the saber user is still alive, he ought to be rewarded with a one-hit-kill swing (assuming he connects, of course).

Correction on server side, IDS took down ProMod today due to the fact that it is not being used on OGL *cough horse****, too many complainers cough*. Also announcing that I am detagging from their program as well.

Now, for answers of the night...

Artifex,

I do have one request - make Red (all?) stance(s) a one-hit-kill vs a gun user, even at 200/100. By the time a saber user gets past the gunners HR secondary, Golans, Rockets, and (if force is on) Force powers, and is actually able to get to the gunner who'se using force speed/jump to stay away, if the saber user is still alive, he ought to be rewarded with a one-hit-kill swing (assuming he connects, of course).

Why bother with red stance. It is safe to assume that the gunner will be backpedaling, and the red stance swings are even slower than the backpedal. Too much of a risk as well on the defensive side. A gun that shoots fast can tear a red user to pieces. Blue or yellow make good gun pursuit styles, I have found.

ASE (All-Seeing Eye) Users can make a filter to display only the promod servers. To do that:

Go to Filter - New...

In the name space write "ProMod"

In the Box copy-paste this:

1 if gamename ~== "promod" goto 3

2 remove

Then select "Modifier" instead of "Normal Filter" and name it "ProMod"

Press "OK"

And that's it. Now in the My Filters Folder there is a ProMod ON/OFF options. Turn it on and search for JK2 Servers.

Artifex: Great job. For the most part, I love it.

Here are my inputs.

1. You asked about simpler "aura" models for when absorb, rage, etc are used. Why not use the Ylssmarri "sphere"(?)

2. Pushing or stealing sabers. That Toss-pull bug is totally lame. Zero defence against it. I don't mind the toss itself, or even force speeding PAST your opponent, then spinning around and pushing him into it, though---at least that takes *some* skill.

This third one is more philosophical:

3. Kicking. People that have invested allot of time in learning the nuanges of kicking may be turned off by some of what you have done. I understand where you are coming from in the readme, but, from someone who has some martial arts background, and, understanding that Lucas intended the jedi style to mimic Kendo and the Asian martial arts, I don't where discriminating between fwd and side kicks gets it's logic from. I can tell you with a certainty that either can break ribs (seen it happen).

My point, I guess, is this. If someone can aim a good pull/push/side kick, why discriminate? Double tapping does give you a ranging capability, but, once again, so what? It's like picking between a roundhouse, axe, or front kick in Tae-Kwon-Do each has different range and power. If someone is retarded enough to charge a superior kicker over and over again without changing their tactics, isn't that the definition of insanity? The CSC takes the randomness out of it, no?

I also see the point that someone else made about jumping over ledges, or into walls with "one tap kicking" on. You tend to flip off it, rather than cruise up it like you do with the double-tap model. I had a very hard time with that myself. I see both sides to the agruement, but then, I played Quake before John dropped Pushlatency and client side prediction into these engines, so the double tap kicking thing doesn't really bother me up to 200ms ping.

Just another perspective from another designer.

Best regards,

-=noctroglyph=-

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, is there any chance you could add the model scaling from Jedimod, so people can use the great Yoda models.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anything I would implement would be client-side only to avoid people using the yoda model to avoid getting hit. Still, I have to prioritize the game balance code before i can start adding window dressing.

You could always make the model scale a protected feature. Let the admin decide weather to allow/disallow yoda (scaling), and then again whether to allow/disallow players ability to change the scale.

-=noctroglyph=-

In the beta 1 code, which is what everyone's currently using, the answer is no, you wouldn't. In the newer Beta 2 code that I am working on right now, yes you would have the time to counterattack.

I think everyone will be pleased with the blocking and deflection code in beta 2. It's almost exactly like single player now, but is of course, completely reliant on the CSC (your skill).

Originally posted by Sabre9

Artifex:

Questions - if I'm using Red stance, would I have enough time to attack in a Deflect/Parry situation? Or how about Knockaway? I guess another way to ask is, what's the most damage-dealing stance one can use in a Deflect/Parry, and in a Knockaway?

Originally posted by Cyris

Id have to say this is a great mod and it will avoid losing the fluke duel every now and then.... but what does it do to the n00b who blue spams. I dunno if this mod if gonna give that annoying little hoe an advantage or a disadvantage. It sounds great all and all but if he can aim that blue spam slightly i think its just a way to give ythr noob the advantage.

Well its been great. FOR ME TO POOP ON!

I played many duels against a blue lunge spammer. The answer is this....

Medium stance, let him lunge, block, then counter, let him lunge, then block, then counter. Repeat till dead takes about 2 - 3 hits. IF done correctly you should take little or no damage. Make sure you keep your aim on him, AIM IS LIFE. Have a nice day :)

Add a new server to the growing ProMod list.

Praxeum Knights Saber Only - ProMod

IP: 206.169.69.25:28070

T-1 Connect 12 slot server

http://www.lowgrav.org

And in a couple days a I will have a CTF server running promod as well.

I would badly like to see the most current version of adminmod integrated into this. Forget the jedimod stuff.

Originally posted by KnightHawk420

Add a new server to the growing ProMod list.

Praxeum Knights Saber Only - ProMod

IP: 206.169.69.25:28070

T-1 Connect 12 slot server

http://www.lowgrav.org

And in a couple days a I will have a CTF server running promod as well.

I would badly like to see the most current version of adminmod integrated into this. Forget the jedimod stuff.

Thanks for running ProMod, hawk.

Is there a feature list you'd like to see from adminmod? While I won't be doing code-merges with any other mods right now, I am definitely willing to add some functionality to ProMod beta 2 that'll help out admins. Let me know.

hey Artifex

Im a IDS member like Rad mentioned, Promod was taken off the server which im really teed off at.:mad: .

Anyways. Your mod rules, and anyone who says otherwise can go home :D .

, I noticed that when I went back to a 1.04 server after playing promod for a couple of days that I could beat people in duels that I never could before!!!!:eek: . I noticed my overall skill increased ALOT. Maybe its just me but thats what Inoticed

Neo: Please edit your post and remove the reference to the bug please! We don't need more people finding this out right now. This is already fixed in Beta 2 and working perfectly, so don't worry. If you find anything else like this, please just PM it to me. Thx!

Originally posted by NeoTyranus

hey Artifex

One thing is a MAJOR bug that needs to be fixed ...

On the very upside, I noticed that when I went back to a 1.04 server after playing promod for a couple of days that I could beat people in duels that I never could before!!!!:eek: . I noticed my overall skill increased ALOT. Maybe its just me but thats what Inoticed

Glad you like the mod. Keep spreading the word!

I posted this in the "Hows the promod?" thread but i'll put it here too to make sure Artifex sees it.

The animations sound like they will improve the mod greatly but i have another suggestion to improve it. I was wondering if could you could look into including some more visible crosshairs for the mod. I don't know if its only me but i've always hated the jk2 crosshair especially when its red, too often i find myself losing sight of it in the heat of battle (yes i have good vision). I could live with it before but since this mod is so dependant on aim it is VERY important to have an extremely visible crosshair to ensure you can keep track of it at all times, the extra circles in promod do help but i still don't find it visible enough for my tastes. If i had it my way i would change the blurry white crosshair into a more solid white colour and the red part i would change to a bright green or something. I'm not saying you should outright replace the current colours cause i'm sure many people like em the way they are, but perhaps you could add some additional crosshairs for the user to chose from? possibly as a menu option or via the console? or maybe someone could code an RGB crosshair mod similar to Tchouky's RGB saber mod, highly unlikely but would be the bomb.

Originally posted by Deetox187

I posted this in the "Hows the promod?" thread but i'll put it here too to make sure Artifex sees it.

The animations sound like they will improve the mod greatly but i have another suggestion to improve it. I was wondering if could you could look into including some more visible crosshairs for the mod...

I've seen about 8 or 9 other crosshairs that are actually already in the official version of the game. They're most likely accessible from the console somehow, but I haven't a clue what the console command is.

I'm also going to add some console commands to control the beginning (weak aim) color and end (strong aim) colors of the CSC, as well as their transparency. That'll allow you to really up (or lower) the visibility of it. That might be all you need.

Archived