Home

ArtifeX's ProMod 1.0 Beta -- Released

ArtifeX

I'll turn on my debugging code and see if they produce lower results at lower skill levels. I seem to remember that a level 3 bot was just as good as a level 5, or was so similar as to be unnoticeable. Didn't test level 1 though, so you're probably right on that one.

Originally posted by razorace

I disagree. I don't think the Bot aim is prefect even on the highest skill level. In addition, I believe the Bot aim does scale with difficultly level. On the lower levels, the bots look like they're trying to miss you. :)

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would it be possible to add a function where the server sends a chat message whenever a player executes a custom script? Would be both great and interresting, since it is impossible to prevent people using scripts.

FatalStrike... keep talking about that red footspeed... I don't want him to forget... red is close to useless in ProMod as it is.

I like that you have to switch styles because they both attack and defend differently, but it can be a pain cycling through the styles. Could you add a style up and a style down bind? Or just a bind for each style to make it really great?

I experimented with kicking... it works great in promod... you can still kick someone to death but it takes longer now and not as easy. I like the single press of the jump button for kick since it removes the edge for those people who like using scripts, plus the range is not as great.

I was wondering if you would add some new specials? I am thinking of a forward thrust, kinda like the backstab... perhaps for blue style.

Originally posted by ArtifeX

Describe the sequence of moves to me and I'll see if I can duplicate it.

A Forward jumpkick starting your swing right as you go back. You go into your heavy DFA and it does like a little downward slash, it doesnt go into the heavy dfa anymore.

Hmm, do you know if that worked in 1.02 before the single-tap kick was removed? I'm willing to bet that that's a bug with the double-tap kicking code. Also, does your guy hit the ground before you start the DFA, or not?

Originally posted by DarthCobra

A Forward jumpkick starting your swing right as you go back. You go into your heavy DFA and it does like a little downward slash, it doesnt go into the heavy dfa anymore.

I wouldn't consider doing this unless I had a decent looking kick-deflection animation. It is possible to make it blockable, though. Look pretty silly if you blocked somebody's foot with your saber.

If I were fighting some with a saber, that's exactly what I would do if they were foolish enough to try to kick me. And hopefully with a little luck, take their foot off with it.:p It would sure teach them some caution in choosing when to kick.:D

Everyone keeps talking about extra range with the double tap kick, I guess I just never noticed it. Is there a way to just decrease the range and keep the double tap?

Also is there any chance to my other question about wall kicking?

On to a different subject, I have noticed that since I've been running Promod that my map rotation doesn't rotate unless someone wins the duel limit. Before, it used to rotate after the timelimit was done for the set number of duels, regardless of whether anyone was in the server or not. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the mod or not, just thought I'd mention it.

Now for the bad news, a couple of days after I installed Promod, my server attendance has dropped to near zero.:( What's going on with people? Before it was almost always busy. I love your mod, but it's almost not worth keeping my server going at this rate.

Most duel players are pretty dumb(maybe it's the wait times?) and NEVER i mean NEVER have auto dl enabled. What i sugest is instructions on how to enable it in your motd, in COLOR so people will notice it.

Also a link to one of the promod sites would be good as ppl often ask "what does this mod do?". remember once they play it, most will get hooked.

Originally posted by blackfire

If I were fighting some with a saber, that's exactly what I would do if they were foolish enough to try to kick me. And hopefully with a little luck, take their foot off with it.:p It would sure teach them some caution in choosing when to kick.:D

Everyone keeps talking about extra range with the double tap kick, I guess I just never noticed it. Is there a way to just decrease the range and keep the double tap?

Also is there any chance to my other question about wall kicking?

Yes, I could probably enable the double-tap for walls only. Have to see if I have time to squeeze that in before beta 2 release.

On to a different subject, I have noticed that since I've been running Promod that my map rotation doesn't rotate unless someone wins the duel limit. Before, it used to rotate after the timelimit was done for the set number of duels, regardless of whether anyone was in the server or not. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the mod or not, just thought I'd mention it.

Check to see if the server.cfg file that's in the promod directory is different from the one in your base directory.

Now for the bad news, a couple of days after I installed Promod, my server attendance has dropped to near zero.:( What's going on with people? Before it was almost always busy. I love your mod, but it's almost not worth keeping my server going at this rate.

Well, this is still in the beta phase, and a lot of people get frightened off by that. Had I just released it as a non-beta, more people might have initially tried it, but they would have been very critical of any bugs for that "final" version.

Once I finish Beta 2 sometime this weekend, shacknews.com, bluesnews.com and jkii.net have all said they'll run articles on it, which should boost the visibility.

Strangely enough, some french gaming magazine contacted me yesterday for permission to put Beta 1 on their next included cd. I'm going to talk to some other gaming mags to see if I can get them to do the same here in the states once I've got a final version.

One thing i've noticed looking at the server listings is that the lion's share of jk2 servers are empty, whether they're running a mod or not. I think that the patches have driven off many of the dedicated players. Everyone just needs to spread the word as much as possible, and then we can expect an infusion of the old-school players.

Originally posted by ArtifeX

Yes, I could probably enable the double-tap for walls only. Have to see if I have time to squeeze that in before beta 2 release.

Really i don't see the point in that. If you are fliping off the walls you have the following problems:

1. You press forward aginsed the wall and jump. Why not jump FIRST, clear the wall and be done with it

That's about it, i really don't think it's that much of an adjustment, single tap wall kicks really arent much of a problem, if anything it just confuses your opponent. Hardly anyone uses wall jumps effectivly in duels.

Hi ArtifeX,

nice work on that Mod. :thumbsup: Count me in on the ProMod community :D

Good to see you back, too.

I would like to get back to a point earlier mentioned:

Cycling through saber stances.

With your mod, changing stances is even more important than before. Being a red/yellow user in vanilla 1.04 I still tend to use red a lot. I already figured that I need to switch to another stance

to block more effectively, since red blocking is not very effective (as it should be btw).

So I wonder if there is a way to make each stance selectable with a single key rather that cycling through them. Or maybe have it cycling in both directions like the inventory. So you could maybe use the mousewheel to cycle up or down. This way you could switch back and forth between two stances easier.

Double tap kicking

As for double tap kicking I must say that I actually like the idea of having double taps: first of all it takes care of that annoying kicking off small lips. Secondly it seems more logical: kicking is actually two movements, jumping up and then kicking in mid-air, so its one tap for the jump and one for the kick.

While I personally also agree with Noctroglyph that there are plenty ways to dodge and/or avoid kicks and I also think that ducking and doing a yellow or blue overhead chop while the kicker jumps over you IS an effective counter attack, I can understand that you don't want to have it in your mod (coming from 1.02 as you are).

Maybe it is possible to make kick selectably single or double tap (I think that has been done for some other mod?), and at the same time decrease range for it like suggested by someone else before?

Spreading the word

I am member of the Jedi Academy (http://academy.jediknightii.net), an institution that is very much about teaching students decent saber fighting. When the Beta2 is finished, I am planning on bringing your Mod to the Academy's Jedi Council's attention, I believe that it is a great mod not only for competitive play but also as a learning enviroment.

Hmm, do you know if that worked in 1.02 before the single-tap kick was removed? I'm willing to bet that that's a bug with the double-tap kicking code. Also, does your guy hit the ground before you start the DFA, or not?

im not sure about 1.02....never found out about that back then. Only started using it in 1.03. Basically, the you can swing your sabre when you are in the back fliping motion of the kick so by pressing attack+forward +jump when you are about to hit the ground will cause your model to lauch into a dfa as soon as you land. i always thought its the same as starting a heavyswing flipping backwards and then DFAing when landing so i dont think its a bug with double tap kick, but like most times i'm prolly wrong:)

Originally posted by thehomicidalegg

im not sure about 1.02....never found out about that back then. Only started using it in 1.03. Basically, the you can swing your sabre when you are in the back fliping motion of the kick so by pressing attack+forward +jump when you are about to hit the ground will cause your model to lauch into a dfa as soon as you land. i always thought its the same as starting a heavyswing flipping backwards and then DFAing when landing so i dont think its a bug with double tap kick, but like most times i'm prolly wrong:)

hehe that is the famous tactic of pull+kick+dfa ... lethal combo and really an exploit, so I hope you will NOT fix that issue ;) When you learn to do that combo people can only watch as you saber them down when they are knocked over... bad for gameplay.

Actually the pull+kick+dfa isn't a problem anymore in 1.04 since you can push while you are knocked down on the ground.

Plus, in Promod you CAN'T knock someone down with a frontkick anymore (actually it does happen about 5% of the time, not enought to expolit the tactic) so it's doubley not a problem. . .if that's even a word.

I disagree. I don't think the Bot aim is prefect even on the highest skill level. In addition, I believe the Bot aim does scale with difficultly level. On the lower levels, the bots look like they're trying to miss you. :)

BOT aim is perfect on the highest scale. They just aren't too bright. :)

I've set bots for they're max before and spec'ed them. They're crosshairs essentially lock onto a target and stay until for whatever reason they change targets...

It seems on the lower levels bots give up this lock on a increasingly random basis as the skill level goes down. But even the noskill bots when they do lock, they got it right on, but they won't hold it long.

Originally posted by KnightHawk420

BOT aim is perfect on the highest scale. They just aren't too bright. :)

I've set bots for they're max before and spec'ed them. They're crosshairs essentially lock onto a target and stay until for whatever reason they change targets...

It seems on the lower levels bots give up this lock on a increasingly random basis as the skill level goes down. But even the noskill bots when they do lock, they got it right on, but they won't hold it long.

That maybe true for the highest difficult level, but I'm pretty sure on the lower difficults their aim isn't perfect. You can chase down bots and they'll continuously miss (this is while they're "locked" onto you.) as they backpedal away and fire like manics.

Razor Ace

That maybe true for the highest difficult level, but I'm pretty sure on the lower difficults their aim isn't perfect. You can chase down bots and they'll continuously miss (this is while they're "locked" onto you.) as they backpedal away and fire like manics.

Razor Ace

Well its largely how you define perfect... Just make a server spawn some lowly bots and spec them. When they're on, they're on, but they're movements are so random and erratic they don't spend enough time on you to make a hit. So yeah they continually do miss, but if you spec them, you'll see them just dead center right on someone, but then very quickly lose it.

The high level bots, simply don't lose it.

Originally posted by KnightHawk420

Just wanted to announce yet another server to the promod family .:)

Praxeum Knights CTF - Promod

IP: 206.169.69.25:28080

Jedi vs Merc Enabled

Master Force Setting

http://www.lowgrav.org

16 Slot T-1 Connected Server

Great to hear it knight. Hopefully, the ProMod Beta 2 juggernaut will steamroll over the resistance of the remaining 1.04 admins.

Speaking of which, I'm working my ass of trying to get the Beta 2 ready, but with my, my wife's and my son's birthdays all next week, this weekend is looking pretty tight. I may end up delaying the release until sometime late next week so that I can make sure to get all the content in it that I want. I may still be doing some closed beta testing this weekend, so the proclamation stands: if you wanna help, make sure you're in the servers playing and maybe I'll show up to draft some people.

Correction on the CTF server info. Seeing as how enabling jedi vs merc makes team based servers go screwy, I have disabled that option and it is now just simply a full force all guns ctf server. enjoy. :)

Praxeum Knights Saber Only FFA - Promod

IP: 206.169.69.25:28070

Praxeum Knights CTF - Promod

IP: 206.169.69.25:28080

http://www.lowgrav.org

ArtifeX, your mod is all about requiring skill, right? So I think that you should leave the single tap to wall-jump alone. It was a great thing you did to reverse an unnecesarry change, and ppl just need to use skill and pay attention to where they are jumping. I myself try to use wall jumping skillfully in a duel. I guess it's not too big a deal to double-tap, but I guess you will probably make it an option anyway. I just thought you did something great by bringing it back to the way it was, that's all.

Originally posted by JediCrow

ArtifeX, your mod is all about requiring skill, right? So I think that you should leave the single tap to wall-jump alone. It was a great thing you did to reverse an unnecesarry change, and ppl just need to use skill and pay attention to where they are jumping. I myself try to use wall jumping skillfully in a duel. I guess it's not too big a deal to double-tap, but I guess you will probably make it an option anyway. I just thought you did something great by bringing it back to the way it was, that's all.

I've never had a problem with the single-tap either. It always seemed a simple thing to hit jump, then forward to get over a wall rather than forward, then jump. *shrug*

Still though, by making the front wall jump double tap, I can allow people to jump off the walls from much higher than they were before. I never really understood why they would limit you to jumping off the wall only when you were less than 1 meter from the ground. Why not allow someone 3 meters up a wall to do a backflip off of it? It shouldn't be a problem for someone who can jump 20 meters straight up.

Guest Sabre9

194.117.138.240:28071

24.70.64.147:28070

61.207.153.157:1031

61.210.106.46:27980

151.204.81.7:24331

203.79.89.51:28075

24.162.247.233:28070

62.20.195.154:28070

62.251.67.40:53224

63.99.213.122:28070

64.154.191.6:28070

130.161.36.97:28070

131.156.174.50:28070

134.114.32.159:28070

195.139.52.130:28070

195.149.21.44:28082

206.169.69.25:28070

206.169.69.25:28080

209.54.74.216:28070

216.17.68.106:28072

I have to admit first of all that I haven't tried the mod yet. But from what it hear it seems to give what everyone has been really looking for. The CSC system sounds fantastic.

It comes at an interesting time, I've recently reinstalled JKO and finding 1.02 to be more enjoyable than the patches even with its unbalanced guns/forces/sabers. If you can bring the feel of 1.02 with the added strategic element so that it doesn't turn into a pointless spam match then I am all for it. I can't wait until I can download it

First off I think you mod is a step in the right direction. Saber fighting has really down hill since the new patches have came out. I don’t know if any one else has brought up this idea, but if they did ill repeat it. My 2 Cents for the mod: If you want more realistic saber fighting change the run speed, or make it a disadvantage when some is sprinting towards you. Allow there hits to do more damage but have it difficult to hit there target. Maybe introduce a run/sprint key that when held down longer the player gets winded and has a harder time hitting a target. It just seems to me that when dueling you really don’t see anyone constantly running around. Keep up the Great Work!!!!!

Archived