Home

MGS2 Model Updates!

Darth_Kitty

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like Azrael said you could change the name of the characters and even change the title of ur mod if necessary,

I didn't expect ur mod to be prohibited by konami... if that doesn't work

Finish ur mod and Distribute it to the community secretly but be sure to change the names of the models

hello,

i doubt that they can sue you for anything. think about it! im no law master mind but i think they actually have to lose money for them to sue. since your not getting any money and since they arent losing any money (jk2 isnt their game at all) they can do nothing. i made a map based on The Rock and nobody did anything to me (http://www.pcgamemods.com/file.php?id=087408522c31eeb1f982bc0eaf81d35f). keep going. id like to see them try to sue someone making models for a star wars game.

Im not a lawyer, but I do know that not only can they sue you, but they can also take all the work that you have done and claim it as their own.

A certain movie/videogame company *coughlucasartscough* is notorious for doing this to amateur mod makers. There were several very good looking Starwars maps for UT which were shut down by them.

Remember, you may be legally in the right, but it doesnt matter because they have more money than you.

Of course, the question is whether Konami would actually do anything if you ignored them.

how can they sue him? you have to lose money to try to get some from other people.

if they can sue someone for making a model of a character then they can sue someone for drawing a piscture of the character and posting it on the internet. . . they can sue people for saying the characters name (well maybe not that far)

Technilly they can sue me. Just like LucasArts can sue a JKII modder. Because when every mod is created with a character from sa diffrent game it is breaking copyright laws. I looked into it. My dad wont let me continue right now cause of it. I'll think of someway to at least release a model or two.;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey, you know you can publish the gun models, since they cannot have a copyright over the guns, since they did not make the guns, and they cannot sue for you making them into the game. You just have to call them something different. That's what Goldeneye did...and it worked.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM..............................................

Does MG: Sons of Freedom sound like a good name? What about just Snake?

In a way I never killed the mod. When JKIII comes out I may (NOTE "MAY") do a revival and somehow...bring it back?

:D

Konami has release there game now for the PC. :p BUT still the problem is that my models have a "likeness" of Snake and Co.

I will ask around and see if I can just upload the ms3d files.

Of course than again, Perfect Jamie has Snake too so maybe he can do it. :D

Originally posted by Darth_Kitty

Technilly they can sue me. Just like LucasArts can sue a JKII modder. Because when every mod is created with a character from sa diffrent game it is breaking copyright laws. I looked into it. My dad wont let me continue right now cause of it. I'll think of someway to at least release a model or two.;)

So, do you honestly believe that Konami is going to track you down and sue you? Come on, at the most, I think that they would simply contact what site you uploaded it to and tell them to take them off, which, considering how many licensed characters are made into models for games (JKII, The Sims, etc.), that seems unlikely. I doubt there will be any swat teams showing up at your door.

Originally posted by Darth_Kitty

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM..............................................

Does MG: Sons of Freedom sound like a good name? What about just Snake?

In a way I never killed the mod. When JKIII comes out I may (NOTE "MAY") do a revival and somehow...bring it back?

:D

Konami has release there game now for the PC. :p BUT still the problem is that my models have a "likeness" of Snake and Co.

I will ask around and see if I can just upload the ms3d files.

Of course than again, Perfect Jamie has Snake too so maybe he can do it. :D

Did they release MGS2 for pc!?!

And why don't you just release the models and stuff without the mod,and maybe some guns >.>Ahem(famas pgs and socom) :D

• 3 weeks later...

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! I'm sick but this does me sicker:mad: But konami doesnt have copyright on the weapons so you can just release them as a weapon mod. MGS models has been realeased before so that may be legal. Multiplayer models to singleplayer is also legal. And konami cant have copyrights on modding so you can release that too. So if you upload those files as different mods and models: ITS MUCH MORE LEGAL:D lol

I think we're taking this coyright infringment thing way too seriously. We're gamers making models for games. We're not running some bootleg operation here, it's art work. It's the same as drawing a picture of Snake, uploading it to a website, and letting others download it. I'm sure Konami has much bigger issues on their hands. I think we're placing a little too much importance on the impact of these models. There won't be any repercussions whether you release it or not, so you might as well release it.

Actually, some companies prefer Mods and have a Mod-Friendly stance - such as CapCom, who allows full use of their characters and intellectual properties for Mod-creation.

Has anyone checked with Konami's stance towards mods? It is a safe bet that they don't tolerate them, but it is always best to check, and then adjust your actions accordingly.

Konami doesn't own intellectual property on a lot of their stuff, such as the concept of an elite soldier, or even a ninja with high-tech armaments.

They don't even own the copyright on super-mech-style robots.

All of this is easily arguable as fair-use.

However, because you are a small operation, as all mods are, you are forced to avoid the probing legal eye.

For one, don't use the Metal Gear name. There's about a million cooler names that will still evoke the sense of espionage and intrigue. Just think, you should focus on the style of gameplay first. EVEN IF you were able to use the Metal Gear name, if you didn't have that style of gameplay, you wouldn't have achieved your true goal.

Unless your true goal was to have the Metal Gear name associated with your mod, that is. I guess it really depends how you look at it. You should really just focus on atmosphere and gameplay.

Archived