Home

Welcome... again

Remi

Yep, as TSB forum regulars (all three of you!) have noticed, we've moved over to LucasForums. We'll have a more Monkey-ish layout sometime in the future. Why did we decide to move? Basically we hope to up the traffic a bit this way, plus it kinda makes sense to make everything more centralized. Other Monkey Island sites might choose to use this as a forum, which will make us all one big happy family.

So, have fun posting!

Welcome to Lucasforums ScummBar'ians

You may dislike it now but it'll soon grow on you and trust me in the long run it really will be better than the old posting board.

As for the slow loading times, ive never understood what people complain about, the old posting board took just as long to load threads as here for me.

Theres also the added advantage that lucasforums is a huge community. If you want help with an mi/other lec game look in the mojo help forum. If you are interested in how to extract sounds/graphics/costumes etc from mi/lec games look in the scumm hacking forum.

Have fun, explore and soon your forums addiction could be as bad as mine (God help you all).

Oh, one more thing if your going to post a question in the help/scumm hacking section click on show threads from the beginning since your question may have already been answered :)

That's about the ONLY advantage.

I said in November (when I first heard about this conglomeration of message boards) that it was an idea that will chew off more than it can bite. So far, it's been exactly that.

As RemiO points out, when LucasForums goes down, all the mojo hosted sites go down with it. His assurance that this will change (via "rumor") does not quiet my soul. I have heard this assurance no less than four times in the last year, and so far it has been only meaningless words. The assurances have been false, thus "rumors" are doubly so. The multiple server moves has not alleviated the problem inherent with user overloads.

When all the forums were on separate servers and one went down, at least the other ones were active. As it stands, all message boards collapse at the same time, and the users are out of luck. I would prefer multiple login IDs to the current situation.

Lucasforums is a hell of a lot better than it was.

On the occasions when it does go down it doesnt tend to be down for particulary long.

Perhaps im just in a bad mood today but the tone of your post seems to smack of arrogance.

Lucasforums is free remember? You arent obligated to use it, the admins dont go out of their way to make it difficult to use. To paraphrase whats been said about a few things lately - using it is a privilege not a right. I am sick and tired of hearing people say 'Lucasforums sucks', you dont like it - dont use it! You want something changed make constructive criticism rather than moaning.

Remi's 'assurances'?

Remi can say or do what the hell he likes with the scumm bar forums he doesnt have to give assurances to anyone much less clarify them. If he wants to make 'meaningless words' he damm well can - who the hell are you to criticise him?

If you dont like it - sod off, dont go posting unconstructive criticism and making veiled references to RemiO being a liar.

Well... I do think he was talking more about LFNetwork than me.

But anyway, I'm also getting tired of people complaining about what is really just a free service, maintained by volunteers. I mean really, if you don't like it, then go do something else, y'know?

I said in November (when I first heard about this conglomeration of message boards) that it was an idea that will chew off more than it can bite. So far, it's been exactly that.

If you hate the idea so much, a) why did you sign up for it, b) why do you have 480 odd posts, and c) cheese

Next point:

I have heard this assurance no less than four times in the last year, and so far it has been only meaningless words. The assurances have been false, thus "rumors" are doubly so. The multiple server moves has not alleviated the problem inherent with user overloads.

actually it has, so ner. Maybe if you used your PEEP HOLES you would relalise that and love LF as much as we all do. Yes.

if LF goes down, other sites don't, and LF hasn't gone down a whole lot since being on new server, and nor have other sites.

¬¬

(You have been shifty eyed)

That is all.

Hmm, you know, if you really care that much about everyone else on the network, and how much a shame it is when it all goes down, I don't suppose you would mind, oh I don't know, donating money to the network. You do realize that it does cost quite a bit to run a site, of such magnitude, let alone a network of such sites.

So I suppose you really would have no complaints at donating a few tens now would you, Mr. Everything free I am entitled to by right of nature/universe/god/karma whatnot?

Personally I think it is a little nicer that it is free, and goes down now and then, rather than having flash animation ads pop up infront of everything, and having to wait in a line for a few hours to use the services. (Like post a message, or read the news updates, and whatnot.)

Well, I didn't know what to make of LucasForums when it first came. But, since then, it's grown on me... and now I love it.

I couldn't agree more with the previous posts, and the down time HAS become less frequent recently. It's never been easier to be part of the LucasArts fan community, and LucasForums has done a lot to make this a reality.

Originally posted by bgbennyboy

I am sick and tired of hearing people say 'Lucasforums sucks', ... and so on.

I wish you had read my message better. I never said LucasForums sucks. If I felt that were true, you would never see me here. What I said was that I would prefer that the individual message boards be on separate severs. That way, when one goes down, the others would still be available.

I frequent a message board that is NOT part of LucasForums. It is, however, hosted by mojo, so when mojo is taken down by "too many LF connections", all of its hosted sites go down as well. You admit, yourself, that LF goes down. I will concede that the downtime is shorter, nowadays, but it still happens.

The reason it happens (to quote the message page that I see 3-4 times a week) is "user overload". It is a problem that MUST occur when you try to allow too many connections on one server. It is exactly what I dreaded in November when I first heard the announcement of combining all the LEC messageboards.

And, I was not critisizing RemiO in any way. I'm sorry that you read that into my post and gratified that RemiO did not take it in that vein. I rather like RemiO's style ... you should watch him, for he can teach you some things about moderation.

What I critisized was the many (well meaning) assurances that have been delivered to us about the new (and newest) server move will prevent the downtime. So far, the server moves have mitigated, but not prevented the downtime inherent in this massive collection of messageboards, as promised. How could they? So, all I was really saying was that talk is cheap. False hopes are an insult to my intelligence.

You asked, "...who the hell are you to critisize...?". I ask you, "Who 'the hell' do I have to be?". By your logic, I am not allowed to critisize Bush's little "war" on terrorism, simply because I live in the United States. Where I live, the freedom of speech IS a right, not a privilage.

Since I am a user of LucasForums, I am perfectly within my rights to critisize what I see as bad judgement. As I have said many times, "It is a fool's prerogative to point out that the Emperor has no clothes." If you see yourself as "the emperor" then you are taking yourself way too seriously. It is the idea of combining all these message boards that I dislike, not its volunteers. In the end, what have I done but proclaim myself "the fool"?

As long as I stay within the boundries of good taste that are laid out in the terms of agreement that I submitted with my membership application, what I type shall be read. And what I say is still the same. This is an idea that is too unwieldy--too cumbersome to succeed completely. The capabilities of the technology are simply inadequate to the task. It is a pipe dream.

The "egg will be on my face" when LucasForums can run an entire month without a single hour of downtime. So far, its track record is only about 40 hours between downtimes.

By that logic, because you work at a job, and are a part of that organization, it is there for totally within your right, and practically your duty, to criticize your boss, tell them that they are fat, lazy, and ****ing ass holes, and your boss should take that as constructive criticism, and probably promote you.

No, this is a PRIVATE NETWORK, it is a total privilege to do anything here. Just as specific constitutional rights can be ignored on private properties. Such as freedom of speech for one.

Just remember my friend, death, and taxes. Death, and taxes, nothing more. Everything else is just something nice. So stop bitching, and go setup your own damned forum if you think you can do a better job.

You know, I totally understand being able to criticize a PUBLIC figure such as the President. Again, this is a privately owned network. Your access is truly a privilege. From my understanding, you have done absolutely NOTHING for this network other than posting and using its bandwidth, if anything you owe them. So you know, maybe you could drop the attitude, and only give constructive things, or maybe privately e-mail someone your suggestion.

Just a few thoughts.

Originally posted by RaptorII

By that logic, because you work at a job, and are a part of that organization, it is there for totally within your right, and practically your duty, to criticize your boss, tell them that they are fat, lazy, and ****ing ass holes...

Good call. It is my logic ... and I have done so to my employers ... but I don't have to resort to profanity to get my point across. I will always speak my mind. And I have been promoted in my career due, in part, to presenting my grievances in a calm and reasonable manner. Typically, when I feel the kind of emotion that you've displayed, I simply quit my job, rather than resort to illiteracy.

And I would quit LucasForums is I felt this strongly. My opinions do not reach this level of childishness, though. I simply state my mind ... with thoughtful eloquence and dignity. You might consider trying this approach.

**edit**

to emphasize my point, I just got the "too many connections" message when trying to correct a misspelling in this post. Yes, it came back quickly, but LucasForums is now only one minute away from its last downtime.

Christ. Does forum downtime really impact your life that much?

I can't possibly imagine how bitching about your job has ever gotten you ahead. From the sound of your post, it sounds like you've quit quite a few jobs. If you demand perfection your whole life, you'll never get ahead in life.

To emphasize my point, you lose. In life.

Archived