Darth Groovy

Who will you vote for in 2004?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who will you vote for in 2004?

• Gore and (insert running mate)
    • Bush and Cheny
    • Yoda and Windu
    • Palpatine and Dooku

Well I'm voting for Bush/Chaney again. I like the way Bush is running the country and I would like him to run it for another four years. Unless Bush really ****s up, Gore has an up hill battle to the White House. Unlike Bush, Gore actually has to worry about the primaries where he will have to run against Tom Daschle and Richard Gephart the two most powerful democrats in congress.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay... I just spent about a half hour writing a reply to this thread, and I get bumped, losing the whole thing :mad:

ALRIGHT to sum up my very long post: I won't be voting for Gore in the primaries (I think he ran a terrible campaign), but if he's the only other viable candidate, I'll definitely vote for Gore over Bush.

Bush has done nothing for He's destroyed the projected surplus, he's allowed the stockmarket to bomb, he's ostrasized many of our long-time allies with his warmongering, taken several extended vacations. He also talks about using nukes, pulls out of the middle-east peace talks (now Clinton might not've gotten the Isrealis and Palistinians to be best pals, but I certainly can't remember the kind of bloodshed that's happening now when Clinton was working with them), and in general, trying to bring about armageddon.

Also, let's not forget about the actions of his Atourny General, who seems hellbent on taking away all of our civil rights. The Patriot Act? TIPs? Hitler would've loved either of these things that Ashcroft has brought forward and actually tried to get congress and the senate to pass! Then, there's Chaney, who had one of his security guys threaten with arest someone who was trying to hand the VP a subpeana (which is basically... ILLEGAL!).

Jedi_Monk.jpg

i have one thing to say. AL GORE DID NOT INVENT THE INTERNET. the jerk

Here's a fragment from an article I found here: http://commons.somewhere.com/rre/2000/RRE.Al.Gore.and.the.Inte1.html

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."

Gore meaning, obvious to anyone who knew the record, was that he did the political work and articulated the public vision that made the Internet possible. No reasonable person could conclude that Gore was claiming to have invented the Internet in any technical sense. The first half of his sentence makes this clear: he is talking about work he did in the context of his service in the Congress. The creation of the Internet was a process that had several phases and took several years, and Gore is claiming the principal credit for the political side of that effort. It is a substantial claim, but an accurate one.

Jedi_Monk.jpg

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

I hope people don't take this the wrong way, but the electoral system is a load of hogswallow and should be done away with. I don't feel that is unpatriotic of me to say, I just feel that the system does more harm than it's worth and poeple find little reason to vote if they are not in complete control of the vote.

[/two cents]

Why should it be unpatriotic of you if you want you countries voting system to be the best it could. The fact is it was created in a time where individual ballots were just impractial and possibly impossible (Well not really but who'd sit down and count a couple hundred thousand ballots, although it was probably alot lower since you had to be a land owner to vote in elections way back then). Our founding fathers made the choice of the electorial college and I suppose it worked in most cases as only two president were elected to office that didn't recive a popular vote(Ones bush the other escapes me), but now in todays world of technology I say twice it too much. Although you have to remember that since humans are the perfect little angels that we are, no system will ever be perfect.

[/rant]

[edit]heh forgot my rant tag...

P.s. I'm more for Gore then Bush...its just that I tend to support the democrats platform more then the republican plat, but plapatines got a great platform in his whole 'I will crush all opposition' motto.

Originally posted by SeraphimII

P.s. I'm more for Gore then Bush...its just that I tend to support the democrats platform more then the republican plat, but plapatines got a great platform in his whole 'I will crush all opposition' motto.

Pssssssst, I am too but don't tell nobody I told you.......shhhhh!

No offense to the folks that voted for Bush, but the guys a complete tool. The only redeeming quality he has is his more moderate choice of advisors. The Bush/cheney/Ashcroft triumverate won't stop taking away our rights until we're all happy smiling little bandwagon patriots thanking god and the GOP for everything we have.

I'm glad Gore isnt running with Lieberman. Gore's.. kinda... okay, but Lieberman is another one of those nasty hard driving liberty stealing so and so's.

Yeah I'm bitter, but I feel it's with good reason in these terms. In the past 2 years I've seen the world public opinion of the USA plummet, the holy land getting worse and worse, the US making ultimatums it cant safley back up, and the economy go to complete sh*t.

I voted for Yoda. In my little world Yoda's a libertarian. :)

I'm a results man myself. I have not resulted from any of the bennefits that Bush has to offer. In the last year and a half I have lost 2 great jobs due to decline in business my sister lost hers that she had for 5 years. My best friend is out of work and losing his unemployment, and I lost my apartment too. I don't know alot about politics, but something is wrong when I see nobody around me benifiting from anything and everyone losing everything that is not nailed down. Changes need to be made, patriotism is not the only answer. I don't know who I will vote for unless they really do put Yoda on the ballot. But I will say that the oval office could use a change of scenary at this point if you know what I mean.

[/$.02]

Originally posted by whitedragon

i hate political desputes :( . i just cant stand um so bye

I'm not into politics either. Really I am not. I will say that I am sick of being poor and drastic changes need to be made. But i agree that this thread should probably die before it turns into a political debate, cuz I hate those!

When you turn 18, do you just get to vote? Cuz i am going to be 18 in July 2004, so i might get to vote. I might have voted for Gore if "I damand a recount" hadnt happend. Seriously i would vote for Bush, cuz i like the way he has been runnen da country fo the last 2 years, but i still vote for yoda!

That's what's wrong with America nowdays... they want things now, now, now! If we lived a hundred years ago, you wouldn't know who won for months. If the recount had continued, Gore would have won. There were so many Dirty Tricks going on in Florida, it's really scary... Republicans posing as democrats, African Americans being denied the right to vote, police roadblocks to slow people down from getting to the poll... Bush saying "Oh, the Governor of Florida has assured me I'll get the state." You don't find that the least bit suspicious? I'm sure there was enough going on in Florida ALONE to make Bush and his brother both liable for impeachment.

Oh, and the person who called the election on nation-wide TV for Bush? He worked for Fox News (the network that Ann Coulter says is the only one that "the Republicans have"), and was actually a cousin to Bush! And then all of the other networks, like the lemmings they are, jumped on the bandwagon and called it for Bush, too, despite the fact that it was still too close to call! That's the reason people thought Bush had won, because Bush's cousin said he had!

Jedi_Monk.jpg

Originally posted by Jedi_Monk

Okay... I just spent about a half hour writing a reply to this thread, and I get bumped, losing the whole thing :mad:

ALRIGHT to sum up my very long post: I won't be voting for Gore in the primaries (I think he ran a terrible campaign), but if he's the only other viable candidate, I'll definitely vote for Gore over Bush.

Bush has done nothing for He's destroyed the projected surplus, he's allowed the stockmarket to bomb, he's ostrasized many of our long-time allies with his warmongering, taken several extended vacations. He also talks about using nukes, pulls out of the middle-east peace talks (now Clinton might not've gotten the Isrealis and Palistinians to be best pals, but I certainly can't remember the kind of bloodshed that's happening now when Clinton was working with them), and in general, trying to bring about armageddon.

Also, let's not forget about the actions of his Atourny General, who seems hellbent on taking away all of our civil rights. The Patriot Act? TIPs? Hitler would've loved either of these things that Ashcroft has brought forward and actually tried to get congress and the senate to pass! Then, there's Chaney, who had one of his security guys threaten with arest someone who was trying to hand the VP a subpeana (which is basically... ILLEGAL!).

Jedi_Monk.jpg

Why would I want the government to have a surplus anyway? A surplus means that the government has taken in more money then it needs which means they are taking money out of my paycheck that isn't even being used for anything.

The President doesn't control the stock market the stock traders do. There is nothing he can do about the stock market slump except maybe lowering taxes to boost consumer confidence. I've been following the stock market for five years and the markets downturn began in April 2000 long before Bush took office.

Which allies has he ostrasized lets see The Russians like us more then ever, The British like us more then ever, the Israelis love us they want us to go in and take out Hussain, Iran was never our ally, and China was never our ally.

That's what's wrong with America nowdays... they want things now, now, now! If we lived a hundred years ago, you wouldn't know who won for months. If the recount had continued, Gore would have won. There were so many Dirty Tricks going on in Florida, it's really scary... Republicans posing as democrats, African Americans being denied the right to vote, police roadblocks to slow people down from getting to the poll... Bush saying "Oh, the Governor of Florida has assured me I'll get the state." You don't find that the least bit suspicious? I'm sure there was enough going on in Florida ALONE to make Bush and his brother both liable for impeachment.

Oh, and the person who called the election on nation-wide TV for Bush? He worked for Fox News (the network that Ann Coulter says is the only one that "the Republicans have"), and was actually a cousin to Bush! And then all of the other networks, like the lemmings they are, jumped on the bandwagon and called it for Bush, too, despite the fact that it was still too close to call! That's the reason people thought Bush had won, because Bush's cousin said he had!

Jedi_Monk.jpg

That is exactly why I got out of journalism. Republicans control the media. I could never say anything, and never got along with my co-workers. So far I agree with everything you have posted. Something stinks up there really bad. Jedi Monk you like want to go out for a beer or something sometime?First round is on me!:cheers:

Originally posted by scottb

Why would I want the government to have a surplus anyway?

Um..a government thats trillions of dollars in debt and has failing programs that I, personally, would like to see are still there in 40 years.

And the fact that probably 1/2(If not more) of our countries surplus(well its not a surplus now) went to the military does really make me happy. (Yes I know theres defence/attacks but I think they already get a mighty portion of our governments money as it is)

If the recount had continued, Gore would have won.

Where are you getting your info from.

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/florida.ballots/stories/main.html

[/Quote]

Actually Peter Jennings on ABC called the vote in Florida for Gore four hours before Fox news and the others called it for Bush. And he did it while the poles were still open in certain western parts of the state.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/extra/features/elections/electionnight.html

You want the government to have a surplus so they can spent money on things like research, the sciences, the arts, education. Fun stuff like that. :) I understand the market was in decline before bush came to power, but he rather sat back and nothing while this all happened. Hell he pissed the governaments money away with that paltry $300 relief for "Americas workers" while he gave even bigger cuts to the rich. And dont even get me started about Florida. The electoral college needs to go bye bye & we need to have people pass standard IQ tests before they can be allowed to vote. :)

Not to mention you had to claim that $300 on next years income tax, what a load of hogswallow! I guess we were supposed to spend that on goods to boost the economy but I wound up using it to pay bills becasue I was already into it up to my neck. I managed to pull myself out of debt, but I still lost my apartment. The envelope should have came with a disclaimer "Beware of Geeks Barring Gifts!"

Where are you getting your info from.

Google it and you'll find plenty of reliable sources that say Gore won Florida. Don't forget, that the presiding judge had said that he was prepared to authorize the counting of all of the overvotes as well as undervotes that afternoon before the Supreme Court stopped the counting.

To paraphrase the Supreme Court's final ruling, they said that their decision should never effect other decisions (shouldn't be precedent setting), and that the reason that the voting should be stopped was that it could do irreparable harm to Bush! So they disenfranchise how many people who wanted their votes counted? Gore won the popular vote... the message one must receive from this debacle is that one's vote DOESN'T count, and doesn't that do irreparable harm to the United States of America?

The spin is that CNN is the "liberal media", when in fact they pushed Clinton's impeachment as hard as anyone and tried to hinder Gore in every way during his campaign (claiming he lost the debates, not digging the dirt on Bush--there's plenty of it if you just dig a couple inches--and saying he lost the election fair and square and should give up the recount, even though it was all in question). They even made fun of Gore for small insignificant things like his notorious internet quote (which I posted about on the previous page and turns out to be true, in the way he said it as opposed to the way THEY put it) and the Love Story quote (The author, Erich Siegel, said the lead character was a composite of Gore and his roommate, actor Tommy Lee Jones.).

Jedi_Monk.jpg

You can't blame everything on the President. Look back through history. For every up in the market, these was a down. It wouldn't have mattered at all if Gore was elected, the economy would still be in the sh*tter.

The biggest problem is corporate corruption now --- these accounting scandles stared well before Bush was in office.

No one can say that any political candidate is any more honest than anyone else. They're all a bunch of damned corruped crooks if you ask me -- Republicans, Democrats, Green Party...whatever. They'll do whatever the hell they can to get into office, and as we've seen with the past administration, ANYTHING they can to create a legacy for themselves.

Yes, Bush could be doing a better job with things. I think the current situation with Iraq is unfortunate, but if Saddam won't let the UN into Iraq to inspect for weapons, then he's got to go. Of course, any action against Iraq should be supported by the allies.

I'm also tired of people wanting the US to get involved in everything, but then when we do, we get terrorists crashing planes into skyscrappers. We can't be isolationists because then we're stuck-up and greedy, and we can't be peacekeepers because then we're treading on holy land. What the hell do you want from us then?

I say, vote for Yoda! :D

the message one must receive from this debacle is that one's vote DOESN'T count, and doesn't that do irreparable harm to the United States of America?

You've got your facts mixed up my friend. What about the thousands of overseas military ballots that Gore had banned from the count? Do those voices not count?

It was Gore's team that was trying to count double votes or no-votes as votes for Gore -- people who were too stupid to understand the butterfly ballot. Remember?

And how about the major television networks calling Florida an hour before the polls closed in the central time zone? That was a major screwup that may have cost Bush thousands of votes in western Florida. If the state has already been won by someone, then why bother going down and voting for the person you know lost? Most people assume that one vote is not going to matter -- only in this case, it would have.

The fact is, the voting system is totally flawed and needs to be overhauled.

Archived