Home

Any Hope for 56k MP?

capt_moquette

I'm running a kick-ass PC but only have a 56k modem. I've never bothered much with mp, as I've had bad experiences before. I just hopped on JK2 mp for the first time with the worst graphics settings possible and it still slowed down like a bastard. Is there any hope for me?

Is anyone else using a 56k modem for JK2? Are there tricks I need to know? Turning off sky etc?

Pleeease help. I want to kick all your asses with my big lightsaber.

Broadband hasn't been connected past my house. They dug the road up right outside and laid a cable and put the road back, but haven't switched it on. Unbelievable, I know. so I'm stuck with this 56k hunk o crap. Bastards.

I keep getting "Connection Interrupted" (or something). Anything I can do? Please?!

PLEASE?!

Fear not...I've been playing JKII with 56K for months, and do so almost everynight. I have not changed any settings to lower the graphics quality or anything, but I do observe the following principles:

* Play at night -- better pings. I usually play about 10pm-1am

* Play on the lowest ping servers you can

* Don't join servers that have a lot of players (no CTF or FFA)

* Try and play on Duel servers (99% of what I do), you get better performance because there are only two players to worry about

Even with high pings, I can usually play duels with little or no lag. Of course, when lag happens, you're pretty much screwed.

Despite these guidelines, I have played many FFA games with 6 or more players and did not have very much lag. It is possible to find a game where you can get a good experience, it all depends on the server you are connecting to.

Believe me, the moment AT&T provides cable access (any day now....) I'll be upgrading to cable!!!

Don't give up -- think of it this way, imagine how much better you'll be when you don't have to deal with lag? I expect to be at least 50% better. If you win a lot of battles with a slow connection, it should be easier to win with a fast connection, right?

bah dont listen to these guys. i used to be able to play on 56k aol and even though that was hellish at times there are plenty of ways to rape your vid settings so that you get better ping. for a full list of them go to this site

http://www.planetquake.com/q3console/

jk2 uses the quake engine so all of these settings work. another thing you can do is set your vid settings to 'fastest' you wont be able to see the pretty sky and all that stuff anymore, but you will be able to play jk2 mp.

As an avid gamer cursed to play with a 56k modem I know how you feel. Like what was said above the best thing is set all the setting for fastest gameplay. Also if you're running ICQ, MSN Messenger or stuff like that make sure that you're disconnected. Dedicate you machine totally to the game. You probably already do that but I know plenty of people who don't even think about how much extra juice they're sucking up with those things. Well best of luck and hopefully cable is comming your way.

I have a few things to say.

I have been playing 56k multiplayer since the day this game has came out(even before, hehe) anyways the fact is almost EVERYONE who plays the game doesnt connect at the pure rate that their modem should be connecting at (56000bps). I live in the country, and thus doing so I connect at 28000bps(In other words...28.8k). Some games its terrible, and somegames I keep bettween a 200-300 ping.

Here is a couple hints.

Boosts DO not WORK! Never download them, they just take up your time, and NEVER work!!!!

Whenever you get into a game of JK2 PLEASE open your console and type /rate 3000. Lots of people SAY it doesnt work for them but it seems to makes on HELL of a difference for me.(broadband users too)

NEVER keep other programs running, try to free harddrive space and keep jk2 on lower settings then usual for your card. You DONT need to put them on fastest, because of course you wanna see the sky, right?

Just like the above user I too have a kick arse comp, loaded with goodies. Broadband is NOT availble. Satellite is, but its a POS and way overpriced, and from what I hear NOT good for online gaming at all. So wait it out, 56/28.8k will be fine for you.

**And, I would like to say that I am the BEST 56/28.8k Kicker in JK2!!!! SeriOUS! Ask HooDWinkeR! muahah!

Not that im modest as well.

Archived