Home

A newbies guide to making a Lightsaber with G-Max

KBell

i am by no means an expert at making saber hilts but i want to make this thread to try and thin the amounts of simple questions newbies have about making simple saber hilts using G-Max.

Just post your question here and i will do my very best to answer them... especially the hardest part....UVWrapping

Baker, a big question that might come up, oh man..."can just anyone pick up the parts and construct their own lightsaber?"

I'm afraid it'll blow up when I try to use it! ;.;

Yes, I'm being sarcastic up there, but mind you, I am not insulting this, or anything else. I like how you're trying to help da newbs.

Why do people shell out upwards of $500 for a saber replica when a few do-it-yourself sites will get you one for around $30. I'm going to be putting the finishing touches on a real-life custom saber replica (original design by the site author) that has blinking lights even. The parts took me some time to gather because they were from three different stores, and I don't go to hardware stores often so I got lost, but the finished piece is something to stare at! check out this site. Sometimes it's down because of the stupid bandwidth restrictions tripod sets, but it's a great site for reference and step-by-steps. :)

ok i had this same problem too but it was fixed pretty easily

1) Click on your saber and click UVWrap/UnWrap

2) then click the "Cylindral" option and you should see a orange cylinder around your saber.

3) click "fit" and the cylinder should align perfectly with your saber.

4) then click "Unwrap" and then click "edit" and you should get a perfect wireframe of your model.

If you need any more help just ask.

If you mean splitting your saber into different parts like the emmitter or the activator box, all you have to do is zoom REALLY close and pick out the vertices that ARENT part of the model and "hide" those by selecting the vertices and right clicking and pressing the "hide" option and remove your emmiter ( or whatever your trying to seperate ) and place it away from all the other wire frame. When your done you just have to right click and press "unhide all" and hopefully if should work.

• 2 weeks later...

WHEW, damn school :p Its been a llooong while but i am on here pretty much all of this day so if anyone has any questions just ask ( of and here's a shameless bump for you people *bump :p )

Any way i have not been working on any sabers lately but i have been trying to finetune my saber skinning skills which are in dire need of a total replacement :p But i have been working on a HUGE downloadable tutorial that will cover the following

1- how to actually make a saber model, starting from the cylinder handle to the grip :p It will be a fully detailed step by step section.

2- How the UVWrap and UVMap a saber. This seems to have been a HUGE concern to newbies and experts alike so ill be doing a full tut on that. This will probly be the most detailed of the sections

3-How to skin the saber- i definetly dont know how to skin well but i will be going over some basic metal textures in Photoshop and Fireworks 4

4- how to FINALLY get that saber in game

this started as an English Honors assignment for the class ( dont ask my why :p) but i wanted to share it. Feel free to comment

oh and im predicting the release date to be in a week or two so hang in there. Im finished with the modeling section but im in the long process with the UVWrapping process, but after that i should be able to finish pretty easily.

Oh and i dont know if i mentioned this but the modeling will be done with G-Max but will most likely work with 3dS Max too

Hello hello. Soooo this is for skinning sabers...but could this also work for player models? If you get an already made model from the game...it is split up into meshes that are laid out to be skinned...sorta. Could you just click the individual meshes...and then use this method to lay them flat to be skinned?

I was following that tutorial on how to make, skin, and get a lightsaber ingame. I dun see why it wouldn't work for player models as well.....I got the face part all laid out nicely and everything...but I don't see how to take a screenshot of it so I can get it into photoshop...anyone tell me how?

Hi, I did't make a saber hilt but a weapon, don't think this makes any difference.

I made the model in Milkshape and its visible in the game but I don't know how to texture it, made my own textures and all but I am unable to "tell" the game to use that specific texture on my weapon model.

please, can you help me?

Archived