Home

Jedi Knight

ZBomber

I have to agree, JK is a sweet game. I prefer JK over JO, for many reasons. JO is too Q3-ish... It has the feeling of mass-produced games that the companies wish to get out soon so they can take our money... that probably didn't make any sense, but anyway...

I've been trying to contact LEC about buying the source code for JK for a while now, seems like my emails end up in trash bin immediately :(

• 1 month later...

JK (SP) is still one of my favourite games of all time, and is truly a classic. I really like JO (SP) as well, especially the variety of gameplay and improved saber combat, but JK still has the edge over it in terms of overall design and capturing the 'feel' of Star Wars.

Hopefully they'll remedy JO's shortcomings in JA.

As for the Mods currently in progress...I can't wait to see them in action. The DF demo was excellent, and DF2E is looking pretty sweet at the moment. :)

JK2 had a short development cycle, but then so did Elite Force (also made by Raven).

When you consider a smaller company like that and working with a liscense, its impressive what they were able to do.

Consider how much time LEC spent on Obi-Wan and how it turned out. I think their primary motivation was to get PC starwars fans back in their good graces as quickly as possible, considering their broken (at the time) promise to deliver "the next Jedi Knight game" in Obi-Wan pc.

However, I think they did a great job. The non-saber/force parts of the game early on felt a little "off" (enemies seemed too powerful, your weapons too underpowered/inaccurate for the job) compared to previous games in the series and some of the puzzles were annoying (JK had only one really bad puzzle that I recall, MotS had a few more), but this was non-existant in Multiplayer (weapons seemed to do the right amount of damage and kill frequently enough without using up all their ammo on just one guy).

I enjoyed the story, with a few minor quibbles (Kyle ditching his good Orange saber for that crappy blue one that fizzles out in a puddle of water... or did that water have Cortosis residue in it??).

I hope that JKA can take it to the next level, much as MotS did with JK1.

They never explained how he went from the MotS saber (orange) to the JK2 saber (blue), but then they never explained how he went from the JK1 saber (Yun's gold) to the MotS saber (orange)... but we all assumed he just built his own between JK1 and MotS.

The question is, why did he throw away his orange one, then build a blue one, only to give it to Luke for safe keeping?

That was never explained in story terms. In real life, the answer was that the Star Wars liscense forced Raven to use the "movie saber color rules" (heard quoted by Lucas on the AOTC dvd extras) in Single player.

So Kyle had to use either Purple, Green, or Blue, and since the first two colors were already used in a SP game in the series, they must have figured blue was the best choice...

Notice the bad guys all use red. Though that doesn't explain why the Jedi Academy members can get away with using gold/purple does it?

Fortunately, you can use the sabercolor ____ cheat to customize Kyle's saber (unfortunately it doesn't work for cutscenes).

And IIRC there's a patch around that randomizes the Reborn sabers. Try somewhere on Massassi.

The Reborn sabers don't bother me; it makes sense that they'd be using mass-produced sabers --possibly the same ones Palpatine kept scattered around his fortresses in "emergency" cases (as seen in Dark Empire).

Archived