Home

Jedi Knight

ZBomber

Jk rocked/rocks/will ever rock.

Though DF did have its moments, like the wonderfully atmospheric Gromas mines, and the dazzling Coruscant level. Plus the Darktroopers themselves.

Hopefully the abortive DFTC for MotS will start up again for JKO. I would truly love to play some of those DF levels in third-person with a lightsaber and the Force.

*imagines Force-throwing MK1 Darktroopers around like so many battledroids*

:bot2: :bot2: :bot2::slsaber:

OpenGL or Direct3D support for that game (Dark Forces) would be nice, or AT LEAST high resolution support... then the graphics would rock.

I liked Jedi Knight/Mysteries of the Sith better than JKII, but i only played 3 or 4 levels from Dark Forces, so cant' really say much about that.

• 1 month later...

They're all good games (among my favorite video games of all time), although DF1 was pretty frustrating in parts (due to the lack of true mouse-looking and the fact that you can't save anywhere, hehe).

JK1 actually to me was better in SP, mostly due to the more flowing difficulty (for lack of a better term.. JK2 jumps from super hard to super easy too quickly and back and forth with the stupid puzzles) and the presence of choices (dark side vs. light side paths, and more NPC's to protect or kill) and of course the "cheesy" (but fun) FMV cutscenes.

MotS really wasn't much over JK1, except for the excellent MP, with its myriad of options (which I think JK2 could learn from... many of those features should be ported over and expanded in Outcast).

Both JK and MotS's multiplayer could be MUCH faster paced than JK2, I must admit, despite the fact that the games were "smaller" (in terms of number of players at a time). And of course the mods released for the previous DF series games is quite large, now that they've been out for a few years and had a chance to mature. I'm looking forward to seeing the same with JK2 in a couple of years...

JK2 has of course better graphics, better netcode, better AI, and all the features you'd expect in a modern FPS (except for Coop play of course, and we already know why that can't be done by mod authors). It's a great game, but there's still reasons to play the others.

And yes, some kind of graphical update of DF1 would be awesome. But, maybe the team doing the DF1 TC for JK2 will come up with something cool... ; )

I've always liked JK's puzzles over most other games. Many of them are just so damn original, and just good. They are challenging, but you don't get frustrated and want to pull your hair out over them.

I think one of my favorites was the Valley Tower Ascent level, where you had to utilize the cargo anti-grav lifts to get up the tower, that was always really cool.

Or perhaps the fuel pump puzzles, you had to empty the fuel out correctly before entering.

JK is truely an incredible game, even today. I remeber back in Feb. when I was waiting for JO to come out, I played through all of JK's SP using SBX 3.0, and it was some of the most fun I'd had in a long long time. JK has that special touch which sets it far above all the other games in the series.

However, if you don't have JO yet, certantly get it! It IS a very good game, has some classic moments in SP, as well as MP (like pushing rockets back into people's faces mid-air, before the rocket even leaves the gun, muwhaha!).

• 4 months later...

Well... there's both a DF1 tc and a DF2 tc. Im part of the mod team doing JK1 in JO's engine.

I've been playing the original JK1 for references and study.. and i must say... playing it is painfull comparing to not only the graphics but also the gameplay.

I joined the JK1 TC cuz I prefered JK1's story over JO's... i mean.. JO's story wasnt that good imho. save for a few good levels.. the big plot wasnt that good.

Anyway... if yer interested go to our forums and see some WIP's there.

Cheers.

Whoa! Gotta disagree with ya there... and I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I gotta defend her. ; )

Not only is the non-saber combat in JK/MotS much more fun (less reliant on crappy-frustrating puzzles and enemies that take a billion hits and dodge all your shots wilst you shoot at them in vain with a gun that couldn't hit the side of a star destroyer.. etc) in Single Player.

The Cutscenes in JK1 are far superior. I don't care if you say the human acting is cheesy... so is the game engine "acting" by the game characters in JK2! ; )

And the storyline at least was original (if you buy the story about JK2's plot being a rip off of I, Jedi, a book I haven't read).

In addition, the Multiplayer aspect of JK and MotS was MUCH faster paced than JK2, and MotS featured more variety with the presence of more weapons, powers (including combinations.. four levels instead of three for each one, though the changes are less dramatic), player classes, etc, and TONS more maps. Plus you could use more items in MP (not just a couple of single use items like in JK2).

I just can't stress the sheer SPEED aspect enough.. really, it's so dramatic, that after playing a lot of JK/MotS, JK2 looks like its in slow motion by comparison.

Don't get me wrong, JK2 has great graphics, the saber styles and "acrobatic" moves, and better AI and bots and dedicated servers... but a lot of its advantages over its forebearers are built in (Ie: by virtue of the Quake 3 Team Arena engine).

JK2 is a great game, but JK/MotS still have some advantages over it and differences that make it worth playing.

JK1/MotS are far more unique as FPS games, whereas JK2 has more in common with Elite Force, Quake3:TA and Unreal Tournament.

You may not agree, but to put it like you did misses a lot of valid points I think. ; )

Heck, JK2 doesn't even have an Automap!

Originally posted by Kurgan

You may not agree, but to put it like you did misses a lot of valid points I think.

I'd agree with you, were it not that my opinion on JK vs JO is far more extreme.

Simply and bluntly put, DF and JK rock - JO sucks.

Watching the development of JO was like being tied to a railway track and see the freight train coming in from afar.

You know you won't like what's about to happen, but there is no escape.

JO certainly is not the worst game in history, but it *is* just another mundane and conservative Ravensoft product that doesn't deserve a place alongside DF and JK in the Kyle Katarn game canon.

While Jedi Outcast buries Jedi Knight in Multiplayer in terms of options and styles, the Jedi Knight multiplayer experience is so much better. Its much more fast paced, there is no reliance on special moves. Its all about timing. I love that about Jedi Knight. Plus no one has made a BFP for Jedi Outcast. And no SPORK either. I was in the Zone the other day and I mentioned SPORK and no one knew what the hell I was talking about, truly sad. I'm dying to see what these Dark Forces and Jedi Knight total conversions look like though. I would like to take on Jerec with a little red stance overhead smash.

And the storyline at least was original (if you buy the story about JK2's plot being a rip off of I, Jedi, a book I haven't read).

I never even considered that before, but I guess there are some similarities. But I don't dee how the game was a rip off of the book, since the book came out after the game. Corran Horn and Kyle Katarn would make a cool duo though.

But I don't dee how the game was a rip off of the book, since the book came out after the game.

I, Jedi by Michael A. Stackpole published by Bantam Books, June 1999 (Mass Market paperback edition).

Jedi Outcast, by Raven Software, published by Activision, March, 2002.

Source: Amazon.com ; )

(On a side rant, its a pet peeve of mine that people are able to send in "customer reviews" on Amazon of products that aren't available yet. They should prohibit posting until the release date except for press people who get legal advance copies!)

I'm doing alright. The weather outside is frightful and I don't have any delightful fires, but I'm staying warm. ; )

I'm looking forward to checking out the new Indiana Jones game, and there's some stuff I was planning on doing with JK2, I just haven't had time for it until recently.

I was on vacation for awhile, and stuff changed... I like the new look around here. Maybe people will start up a collection to donate some hotel space for me... j/k. ; )

Kurgan!

You were gone? ;)

I mean really gone; I was presuming you'd just turned traitor and moved to another forum or something. :giveup:

Originally posted by Kylilin

And no SPORK either. I was in the Zone the other day and I mentioned SPORK and no one knew what the hell I was talking about, truly sad.

Kinda makes you feel old, don't it?

I'm dying to see what these Dark Forces and Jedi Knight total conversions look like though. I would like to take on Jerec with a little red stance overhead smash.
And while you're setting up that overhead smash, Jerec has neatly sliced you to ribbons.

Even JO's "fast" technique looks like it's being done by an old man. :disaprove

Corran Horn and Kyle Katarn would make a cool duo though.
When I read the books, I have to make a conscious effort not to picture Corran being played by Whatshisname from the JK cutscenes.

Which kinda irks me, since I've been trying to insert Kyle into the NJO series, taking Kyp's place ('cause Kyp's so far out-of-character in the early books :roleyess: ).

You were gone?

I mean really gone; I was presuming you'd just turned traitor and moved to another forum or something.

Now that you mention it, I kinda did, didn't I? Once JK2.net sprung up, I started visiting the forums OVER THERE instead of HERE. However, I guess I've been at it so long, I started considering them part of the same big forum (the network).

Now I can't pretend I spend much time posting in the SW Galaxies forum, or in any of the other forums other than an admin forum and JK2.net... I was scarce in the last two months, which is why I mentioned it.

Archived