Home

What's your favourite engine?

Courthold

Ok so i thought, why not start a thread! And the topic today is:

What is your favourite engine?

Post until your keyboard is smoking, i want to know why you like blah engine, why not blah engine, any games you've made, and what you think of choc-chip cookies.

My personal fav (sorry #ags guys) is SLUDGE, probably because the code is very similiar to PHP which i have become.... used to ¬¬

reply or die. mwhahha... ha...

I like AGS most, and I've tried all other engines and I don't like them at all. They are either

1. Too difficult to use

2. Hard interface

3. 500 pages manual (which some are quite hard to read)

4. Set up to many different programs which does they own thing, like SLUDGE

5. They are setting a NAG screen if we don't register, like SLUDGE.

6. They aren't as good or better than AGS

7. Doesn't work at all, and have no FAQ where we can fix the problem.

8. Hard to launch, or doesn't launch at all. (see nr.7)

9. Doesn't listen to what THE USERS wants to be added, except from AGS and RoBot I think it was...

I have tried them all, and I don't like them.

Currently, I'm writing an article for AGDzine about this and what I thought was negative. You'll just have to wait and see what I experienced negative with them all, except from AGS. :)

If GLUMOL is being released sometime soon, I will of course love it as much as AGS. GLUMOL does LEC Games, AGS does all games. That's it, and if I'll use GLUMOL IF it'll be released - I would just play around with it first, see if it's hard and if how the scripting will be. First then, I can say what I think about it. But afaik it would be awsome to open LEC games, look into them, change some dialogs! (HA HA!). That would be great :D

I've at the time currently made 1 short game, 3 no-interaction games, 1 real game with puzzles and all.

Now I'm currently working on a game called Roger Foodbelly, which will be sold at $20 and will future professional voices, good plot, great puzzles, long playing time and such... :D

AND, I'm working on a sequel to Bluecup on the run which will be as long as Roger Foodbelly I hope, and you will be able to travel to Reality-on-the-Norm and world. That'll be free! DO YOU HEAR ME?!?! FREE!!

I'm a SLUDGE user.

I don't know why. I tried lots of different engines and this one just suited me best.

AGAST can do a bit more and may be more advanced, but that's also the reason why I didn't felt comfortable with it.

AGS didn't suit me because of the low-res DOS interface.

Oh, and it doesn't matter what engine you use, as long as you are comfortable with it. It's not the engine that makes or brakes your game, you know :)

--Erwin

Well, all valid points, i feel i must defend SLUDGE though :)

1. Too difficult to use

SLUDGE is easier than most i find, but that might be due to php-style code.

2. Hard interface

Not at all :)

3. 500 pages manual (which some are quite hard to read)

Long manual yes, but detailed which is always good, and not confusing.

4. Set up to many different programs which does they own thing, like SLUDGE

Guess this is down to personal preference, i find it's easier with seperate parts though, then you can be more focused on what you're working on.

5. They are setting a NAG screen if we don't register, like SLUDGE.

Register then! :)

6. They aren't as good or better than AGS

No comment or people will kill me :p

None of the others apply to SLUDGE :)

True what Erwin said, its not the engine that makes the game, it's the people, so use whatever you're comfortable with. Keep posting folks!

Originally posted by Erwin_Br

I'm a SLUDGE user.

I don't know why. I tried lots of different engines and this one just suited me best.

AGAST can do a bit more and may be more advanced, but that's also the reason why I didn't felt comfortable with it.

AGS didn't suit me because of the low-res DOS interface.

Oh, and it doesn't matter what engine you use, as long as you are comfortable with it. It's not the engine that makes or brakes your game, you know :)

--Erwin

Soooo, you didn't know that it has Windows IDE now, eh? :)

Try it, it's getting very advanced! Greater too! :D

I personally prefer AGAST, if you have at least a wee bit of,.. a kind of a programming 'background' so to say, it's the best for you, because it is the most customizable. IMHO, every adventure developer should at least give it a try, because most of them - are either afraid of the coding it requires (they should not be called developers, designers suits them better) - or IforgotwhatIwasgoingtoputhere.

AGS, ... from what I remember from the last time I checked it out (before the Windows interface thing) - to me it just seems a tool that a 10 year old would use to make a game, but I don't think I'm allowed to talk about something I don't know much about.

Forgive me if I insulted someone with this post,

Bip-Bip

Yeah, because 10 year olds who use ags make cool games like:

"A cup of coffee is worth a thousand bathroom breaks"

"Warrior of Might"

and, quite possibly:

"Garda!!"

We love them dearly, we're not upset about them at all, no sir-ee. We quite politely tell them to RTFM and FO, and other abbreviations suited when children are around.

In short, I think you've missed the scripting bit of ags. Sure, you can make a game by just pointing and clicking and all that, but to actually make anything worthwhile, making a coin gui or similar, you have to get your hands dirty with scripting.

So yeah, perhaps you should try it first :).

Either way, I'll rather play a game made by someone with a good sense of humour, talent for drawing and an ingenuity for puzzles, than someone who happens to be good at making real-time lense flare.

I personally prefer AGAST, if you have at least a wee bit of,.. a kind of a programming 'background' so to say, it's the best for you, because it is the most customizable.

Well, I don't know if you consider JAVA as a programming language, if so then yes I have a programming background. I also have a background in JavaScript and SQL.

And still I have chosen for SLUDGE.

Not because I think SLUDGE is better. Just because the engine fitted my needs, suited me best.

So it's not about why Engine X is better than Engine Y. It's about what engine we prefer.

AGS, ... from what I remember from the last time I checked it out (before the Windows interface thing) - to me it just seems a tool that a 10 year old would use to make a game

I've never used AGS (I fiddled with it a bit) but I don't think people care what engine was used when they play a great game. Some very great games have been created with AGS, so I think the engine does the job well. That is what counts.

Forgive me if I insulted someone with this post

Nah, you're just voicing your opinion which is great. Nothing wrong with that. :)

--Erwin

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think I'm worthy to post here!

I'm really fond of toying around with the different engines, mostly AGS and SLUDGE. I can't code at all, so I think AGS was my favorite.

Never did get my hands on the windows version though...

I found the really Low res DOS interface a bit tough to handle, and whatever way I run it, it use to crash out on me all the time.

Archived