Home

Microsofts plans to kill adventure games?

Thriftwood

The adventure genre is very weak nowadays with most of the games being made by single people or small teams. These are made from home and distributed as freeware for everyone to download.

But Microsofts plans will put the final nail in the coffin of adventure games. What plans you masy ask?

The Paladium.

Im sure some of you have heard stuff about this.

Look at one aspect of this. You cannot use any software that has not been certified by Microsoft.

Is this a bad thing you might ask?

The answer is yes. You cant just go and say "Hey. Certify my game for me". It costs money, and a lot of it. People who make these games do so in their free time and do not get money for them. Unless they happen to have a lot of spare cash lying around then nobody will be able to play their games. The adventure genre will take a big hit and there will be no more "home made" games.

You could always not get a Paladium right? Thats possible but if you are reading this then you probably like the internet somewhat. Well you cant use it if you cant connect to it. Microsoft plan to force people to upgrade to a Paladium by only allowing Paladium users to connect to the internet.

Fangames will definitely be 100% dead even if the person is willing and able to certify the game.

Microsoft have direct access to every single file on your computer. They see you making a game using graphics/characters/music and so on from a game and they can take it away from you in a second.

You wont get kind e-mails from the developers of the game to ask you to stop. Youll look for your source to continue it and it will have vanished.

Thats not the only bad feature though. The list is long and it will get longer. Microsoft are trying to take over the whole computer world.

-MP3s, roms, warez, shareware, freeware and p2p software will all vanish. Microsoft can delete it from every single Paladium user instantly.

-If you dont get the latest version of the software then Microsoft can simply make your current version useless by disabling it, forcing you to upgrade or be without it.

If Microsoft plans work then you wont own a computer...They will own yours.

I'm not saying it's not possible, but I don't think Microsoft will go that far.

Over 90% of our software isn't even certified by Microsoft. I don't think these developers will be willing to pay a fee to obtain a certificate. Maybe some will, but not enough.

And then what?

Do you think an OS will sell when there's no software to run on it?

Besides, think about the lawsuits they'll be facing. After all the trouble with the split-up stuff and all I don't think they will take these kinds of risks.

I may be all wrong here, although I hope not :)

--Erwin

Well, i don't think the Adventure genre would die completely, but i know there were rumours going round about MS buying the games section of Vivendi Universal - which includes Blizzard and Sierra, so even if not the adventure game genre specificly, MS are trying to expand in the games market.

Here's my Microsoft theory: Twinkles and stardust and gummy-bears and I really don't have a theory about Microsoft, but I do know they are planning some stuff that would have been illegal if the Bush cabinet hadn't snuck all those bills through Congress while everyone was still scared shhhitless about terrorism....

Bah! Screw Microsoft!

You saw all the lawsuits they were facing with XP?

It won't work. I don't even like XP (Too weird).

If this will happen, something I don't think it will.

I'll switch to another OS, for example Linux.

Most of the countries around have taken Linux into their computers, because it'll cost them many millions each year from Microsoft's software.

Screw Microsoft I say!

They are only after money, that's all.

Sorry about the language :p

Originally posted by jannar85

They are only after money, that's all.

Well, they are a business. No smart company does things out of the goodness of their heart. There is a reason why so many free isps and web-based services that expected to make money off of banner ads failed.

Before you get too jumpy, remember that you can easily disable Paladium in your bios.. or at least, that what I hear. If you can't, you couldn't install Linux as it wouldn't have the Microsoft seal of approval.

In all honesty, I believe this technology will be about as successful with the consumer as DivX. The dvd system, not the codec. It won't last long.

They aren't allowed to make world microsoft.

It'll be a big lawsuit, because MS aren't allowed to do so.

So in other words, which you are saying, the only OS which will be ruling the world will be MS' new OS?

Probably not, because I like both Linus AND Windows98.

I've tried XP, I've even tried 2000 and ME.

All I can say, is that I won't use them anymore. (I swithced back to Win98 after one week, and returned the OS'es.

What should old computers run then if they can't run any fast OS'es or older Windows'es?

I'd probably kill Bill Gates if they are going to set this plan out in life. What about the hackers? I think they'll bomb Microsoft... Hehe... What about the faithful Linux users?

What about LucasArts? Sierra? I don't think they will like it either.

Fight guys! Fight!

My guess. :)

Maybe these articles will turn you over from the dark side :D

http://list.wylug.org.uk/pipermail/wylug-discuss/2002-July/002390.html

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/2.04/gates_pr.html

http://www.j51.com/~tmaster/mylife/mar96.html

Screw "The Paladium" I'd say! It'll never work! Because they weren't allowed to turn this into a monopol.

Damn Microsoft.... BURN IN ****!

I seriously doubt that the 'Paladium' will do everything implied in the original post.

And who says you need a Paladium? As far as I'm concerned, If I choose not to download any more Windows Updates, my computer should remain untouched.

Microsoft Accessing our files? Highly Illegal.

My computer is secure enough. And that's not an invitation to hack me.

I'm more than aware of what Palladium CAN do. I'm also aware that most of those things are purely hypothetical and will never see the light of day. It also should be noted that this will only affect new computers with a chip similar to the Fritz chip installed. Otherwise it'd be easy to just disable it since it'd just be software based.

I think Microsoft would never head this far. That is highly illegal as considered and by disabling our systems microsoft can be put out of business and fined millions. No company has any right to disable anything we own unless it is a trial product, but even after 30 days they can't stop us using that product (when bought.) That would be contradictory. And all owners of Microsoft products would have to trade them back for refunds.

Microsoft knows their limits and shall never cross them, this is called a particular type of hacking into systems for profit of type. Do not mock the community.

Adventure gaming shall shoot foreward and home made games shall be willed to place any of legal platform/programs on our computers, but with only our approval, NOT any else of entry.

I think the only piece of hardware I would buy that had been fiddled with by microsoft would be an Xbox. Unfortunately the way things are going an action adventure is far more likely to be released on the Xbox than a 'traditional' adventure.

Archived