Home

Is JK2 dead/dying? (merged)

D.L.

In the last week, there have been little to no new mods/skins/models/maps etc for JK2. The skins that are released are rehashes of that Tyrion model or whatever. Online gameplay is getting boring with people spamming moves, complaining if they die and all in all, ruining the game because they think winning is everything.

Single Player is dead, more or less, once you finish the game. There are only so many times you can play the levels over and over. There have been a few nice SP fan-levels, but nothing to write home about. There have been no noteworthy SP mods, due to the whole lack of code that Raven has provided to the fan base. A new saber or player model is about as good as it gets and there's only so many you can use, before it gets tired and old.

Do you think the game is dead? Do you think it's dying? If so what do you think can be done to save it? It's a great game but nowadays, a game is only as good as it's expansions. Look at Half Life. It going strong 4 years later for only one reason. Counter Strike. When will JK2 get it's Counter Strike?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has, it's called Promod. :)

come play it at

Praxeum Knights Saber Only FFA - Promod

IP: 206.169.69.25:28070

Praxeum Knights CTF - Promod

IP: 206.169.69.25:28080

http://www.lowgrav.org

If default 1.04 combat seems too dull for you, give promod a try. I've found the new saber combat system provides a much more skilled form of the game. Or rather a system that requires more skill anyway.

Originally posted by KnightHawk420

It has, it's called Promod. :)

come play it at

Praxeum Knights Saber Only FFA - Promod

IP: 206.169.69.25:28070

Praxeum Knights CTF - Promod

IP: 206.169.69.25:28080

http://www.lowgrav.org

If default 1.04 combat seems too dull for you, give promod a try. I've found the new saber combat system provides a much more skilled form of the game. Or rather a system that requires more skill anyway.

I've downloaded it a while ago but I never got around to trying it. I'll give it a go tonight. I think JK2 could really proft from an Imperials Vs Rebels/Jedi Vs Sith(yes I know this is technically possible with the existing setup) mod

Originally posted by D.L.

In the last week, there have been little to no new mods/skins/models/maps etc for JK2. The skins that are released are rehashes of that Tyrion model or whatever. Online gameplay is getting boring with people spamming moves, complaining if they die and all in all, ruining the game because they think winning is everything.

Single Player is dead, more or less, once you finish the game. There are only so many times you can play the levels over and over. There have been a few nice SP fan-levels, but nothing to write home about. There have been no noteworthy SP mods, due to the whole lack of code that Raven has provided to the fan base. A new saber or player model is about as good as it gets and there's only so many you can use, before it gets tired and old.

Do you think the game is dead? Do you think it's dying? If so what do you think can be done to save it? It's a great game but nowadays, a game is only as good as it's expansions. Look at Half Life. It going strong 4 years later for only one reason. Counter Strike. When will JK2 get it's Counter Strike?

It's not Counter Strike. It's the pure,unerfed(that's what killed JKII for me,all that nerfing) game base and that there are so many different mods. Models do almost nothing in play factor,and how many mods have you seen with JKII that turn the game into a different FPS? With half-life they have half-life,opposing force, TFC 1.5, Day of Defeat, and a heapload of others that are all like different FPS.

Originally posted by kstar__2

lets just think:

its back to school time, so many players/programmers don't have time to play/make lvls/models/skins

So every JK2 player is at school? Wow! I didn't think the average age was that low. Next time you post, have a point. Thanks.

It's a general thing and it's been ongoing since 1.03 was released.

For the record, the only patch I don't like is 1.04 but since I have JediMod I use that instead.

More strats = more fun.

When they started nurf'n strats and making us have less strats it became less fun.

The community is definetly getting smaller.

I have seen 2 really good clans leave, one undefeated. I have also seen many many good clans that had divisions just for JK2 not really play because of lack of interest.

Raven messed up. They should have add more counter moves instead of nurf'n. Had they done that then they would have not driven so many people away.

Again... add strats.. dont nurf them.

What skin are you looking for exactly? Most everything has been done and most skins are like "Kyle v2.56543".

And a significant number of players are in school, highschool and collage so there is a valad point. The community will die if there is a thread like this every week. Geez

Originally posted by JerAir

Wait until summer starts again(long wait) and by then there will be a sequel or awesome update or expansion pack or something.

then it will be fun again!

Well, I'll still be here until then. I've been playing this game since day one, mostly because I am married and have no money to buy a new game, and because the few games that I do want to buy don't come out until later this year (Sudden Strike 2 and 1503 AD in case you care).

I for one still find the multiplayer experience (mod-less) very fun. Granted, I've got a 56K modem connection, so I'm just happy if I can finish a battle without lag ;)

And TRIBES 2 IS COMING OUT WITH THE BESTEST PATCH EVAR TO FIX EVERYTHING THEY MESSED WITH!!!

Heh.

Anyway...um...yea. I just haven't been very into JediKnight2 lately, and with school starting that should mess up my gaming time (As most of my time will be in 4 catagories /School/Work/Sleep/Gaming/ unfurtunatly they are from greatest to least).

Hopefully I can get some free time but that is very doubtful since I'm planning/studying to become a certified network admin by the end of the year :(

i dont think the games is dying its only been out a little times the same thing happened to counter strike it had no one at irst later like 1 or Half a year the game got alot of people playing it i think the smae thing will happen to this game to. what im trying to say is it needs time for more people to join and or bye the game and play it on the internet like this:lsduel: :duel: also it needs some poeple like:newbie: s to join and get it popualler and so they can get :explode::angel::swear:

Well, if the average "lifespan" of a video game is four months, then yes, JK2 is on its last legs.

However, if you consider JK2 to be an "above average" or "excellent" game (judging by the hype it generated and the almost universally great reviews and high sales, I'd say that's a "yes") then it should be here a lot longer.

You might think there aren't a lot of mods now, but just give it time, more and better mods will come out, I'm sure of it.

Remember when Episode I (the movie) came out? There were a TON of new mods released/started for JK1 at the time, even though by all counts the community was getting stale by that time. So there was a huge resurgence of interest in the game (perhaps some of it had to do with the somewhat low quality of the Episode I based games that were coming out at the time, and the fact that JK1 was about the best Star Wars multiplayer game at the time). JK2 was helped by the release of Episode II, note all the AOTC mods out/coming out? The same will happen for Episode 3 if people keep at it. Many people will even pick up the game, just because they got interested in Star Wars and want to play as a Jedi Knight after seeing the flicks.

As long as people play the game, it's not dead, and as long as there is a community, it's alive. ; )

I remember people were saying that JK2 was "dead" as soon as they beat SP, or as soon as the 1.03 patch came out. People always over-react. Just because a couple of clans break up, or a few mods get cancelled, doesn't mean a thing. Just keep playing/modding, if you enjoy it.

One thing that I think would help all online multiplayer games is an official statement from the game producers that plainly says that a cheap tactic is not necessarily caused by an imbalance in game mechanics, and so altering the game mechanics will not necessarily improve the game, even though it might cripple the cheapness.

If the game were truly dying, I really can't believe the number of users still posting on a daily basis. If what the naysayers say were true this site would be dead.

So there's obviously still interest in this game. However, if something is not done soon, the game will probably fade away.

There are many things that have threatened JKII Outcast but the primary one is the negativity. If you don't believe me, read the majority of posts on the first page of this forum. I have never seen so much descension and unhappiness. This place used to be a community, it has become a bitching forum.

In my opinion, there is one main reason for the negativity and that is division. Remember the famous saying "Divide and Conquer?"

Many things have divided the JKII community but I think the following are primaily responsible:

1) The gamers who who refuse to install the latest upgrade because it nerfs the moves. They are no longer able to join the servers of those who did upgrade. Those who upgraded can no longer find those who haven't.

2) The gamers who use mods. Mods increase division for many reasons.

First of all, look at the number of different, varied, mods available for this game. Being human, we all have different tastes, and prefer the different mods, for one reason or another. When we find a mod we like we play that one exclusively. Why bother with the other mods that don't have what we want?

Secondly, there's the download time. Mods are nice but, unless you download the zipfile, they take a while to download on a mediocre connection. Myself, I am lucky enough to have a highspeed cable connection but many players are not as lucky. I cannot count the users who have connected to my server and then disconnected because they had to D/L the mod I was using.

Finally, there are those who know the secrets of a certain mod but refuse to share them. These idiots use their knowledge of the mod to their own advantage and refuse to share it. The user, who is new to this mod, gets discouraged, disheartened, and finally quits. The bad taste left, in the new players mouth, makes them not want to play a game with this mod in the future.

3) The number of 3rd party skins, models. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy the aftermarket skins and maps. Whenever the game starts to bore me, I always am able to find a new skin, model, or map, to rejuvinate my interest. The downside is that these additions, like the mod files, take time to D/L. Those with a slower connection want to play and not Not D/L.

I'm certain that there are many other issues, dividing the JKII community, but I feel that the preceding list lists many of the primary reasons.

Division and negativity will do nothing but send this game to the bargain bin at your local software store. Instead of bitching at each other we need to band together and take action.

My first idea is to stop waiting for Raven to release an expansion pack and work on an all-inclusive zip file and/or CDROM. By all-inclusive, I mean one that would include all the latest mods, skins, maps, and models. This would give everyone the latest files without having to D/L.

After that, let's bitch at the game developers instead of eachother. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

This game does have the longevity of Quake 2 or Halflife unless we let it die.

Just my 2 cents!

Yes there's still people lurking around here, but you should have seen how many were here before and right after the game came out. I think alot of the people got tired of waiting for a new patch after 1.03 and left the forum. I think what the game needs is a grreat total conversion. Unfortunetly that may not happen for a while so we may lose even more people by then. I hope people still stay here because there are still alot of people playing on public server, and they can come here to talk about the game.

Archived