Home

Idea to solve the Co-Op models problem...

The_One

You say that you can't boot a map that has more than 256 models in it?

Then, why don't you create spawn triggers and spawn enemies as the player goes through the map.

Problem solved...

Of course, this would require vigorous editing of the JO maps, but with some hard work, it is possible.

i used to do some co-op levels for the original JK. this model limit reminds me of the COG limit in JK/MOTS. the idea suggested by The_One is how we got around the COG limit in JK...we just spawned enemies when the player got within a certain radius, and enemies would only spawn once.

however, i'm sure WLS has brainstormed and tried lots of workarounds, and they probably already thought of this. i still think people should suggest potential workarounds, though, as hundreds of brains are better than several. basically, i've accepted that playing the JK2 SP game in co-op mode is not going to happen, but i hold a little bit of hope out for it (and i hope that other SP levels will be made for co-op if they release the code).

Irimi-Ai

I am not a programmer, so I don't know how everything works, but if I remember it correctly from diving into the code with quake3, every object/sound/texture/... in the map is preloaded, meaning that each of them are counted for. The problem is that the limit is hardcoded in the jk2mp.exe. If we would have the single player maps, we could try to strip out models that are part of the "architectural" part of the game, and replace them with a brushalike structure to bring down the limit. But alas, we do not have the single player maps.

It is nice to hear some different opinions on this issue, and we will try to get it working. But at this moment it is a nogo for the jk2 single player maps (apart from user created ones)

Well then we will have at least the kejim map :) which we have?

btw something off-topic: will NPC commands like NPC Spawn and NPC Kill work with co-op? Its funny spawning NPCs in pit and fighting them/with them. It would be funnier with a buddy to do that.

Something else I thought: In the news u say that ur coder tried to remove models with an external program. Isn't it possible to remove only centain models(like the tie fighters in the atrus mine where u rescue the prisoners at the hangar) and not triggers and other stuff?

Coop Mod WILL BE RELEASED - it just won't work with most of Raven's maps, but it will perfectly work on custom maps which take the model limit into consideration.

The sourcecode WILL BE RELEASED, too.

UniKorn, maybe you should post this in the news - I can't hear that question any more...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived