Home

Questions about X-Wing Alliance

Mazellion

I'm new to the X-Wing series of games. Forgive me if these questions seem dumb.

1. How is XWA different from Rogue Leader?

2. Can you fly custom missions in single-player?

3. Will the demo (and full version) work under Win2kPro?

4. Are there any add-on craft for full version?

5. Is there going to be a sequel in the future?

Answers:

1. They are almost completely different. Rogue Leader is an action game, with very basic controls. XWA is more of a simulation. You have control over almost every aspect of your craft - power distribution, routing of shield strength, docking, etc. There are many, many more missions in XWA as well (I forget the exact number, but several dozen at least), and many, if not most, are longer than the Rogue Leader missions. Also, you do not earn the bronze/sliver/gold medals in XWA that you earn in Rogue Leader. You can still earn medals, but it works differently. The missions are also much more complex, with several primary mission objectives, as well as many secondary and bonus objectives. To accomplish them all, you must not only fly and fight well, but coordinate well with all the ships under your command. The orders you can give your wingmen are far more complex than in Rogue Leader, and they carry out your orders much better. I like XWA much more than Rogue Leader (although I love Rogue Leader as well). Which game you will like more is mostly a matter of personal taste - which type of games you like to play most. Also, the missions vary, but there is a single basic storyline to XWA, unlike Rogue Leader, which basically just goes through the Star Wars Trilogy. You do not take the role of a famous Star Wars character, but rather a new character created for the game. Not all the missions you fly are for the Alliance; some are personal. I think the story is good, with many interesting twists (although the ending is somewhat weak, in my opinion). The new characters are interesting, and you will like interacting with them, although you will come across some of the old favorites from the movies as well.

2. There is a basic mission creator that comes with the game, but there are programs you can get that will allow you to create more elaborate missions, like in the single player game (Allied is the name of such a program).

3. I'm not really sure. Check the Lucasarts website.

4. You can fly many craft, and it is possible to add new craft to the game, but there is nothing official in this regard.

5. We all really hope so, but probably not.

If you are new to the series, don't forget to check out the original X-Wing and TIE Fighter games. They are great too. TIE Fighter may well be the greatest game ever made.

Well, there's no mention of Win2000 on LucasArts support with regards to XWA, but I did ask on GameFAQ's and I did get a positive response.

I once played a demo of TIE Fighter in a store many years ago and was impressed by the graphics, but I forgot about that until more recently when I looked around LucasArts site.

Originally posted by Mazellion

Well, I downloaded a demo of XWA so I try it for myself.

So is it true that with custom skirmish missions you can fly the TIE Defender? I'd like to get in one of those....... :)

Is XWA still on store shelves?

Yep, you can do that. And I'm sure you can still buy XWA in lots of places. Look online of you can't find it in a store.

Hmmm.........I don't think I ever used the Zone before.

I played the demo, but one thing I noticed is that it didn't recognize my video card as a 3D Accelerator. I have a GeForce3 Ti 200 w/ Detonator 30.82 for Win2K. Has anyone gotten XWA (or the demo) to work with the newer GeForce cards?

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
Originally posted by Mazellion

Is XWA still on store shelves?

Probably not in most stores. Your best bet is to buy it online, either from the LucasArts Company Store or someplace like Chips & Bits, where it can be had for around $10 US plus shipping.

As far as your operating system goes, Win2K was never meant to be an OS for gamers. You might want to think about upgrading to XP if you want to play XWA.

Also if you goto totallygames.com and click contact us and goto their ezboard it also tells you how to get Tie Fighter or Xwing to work in WinXP not sure how many people know this or not im going to try to make a page here on xwa.net that tells you how do do it also

Only problems im having w/ tie fighter 95 and Xwing 95 is on my system the intros run very very fast speed, not sure how to slow these down but once i go into mission everything runs normal speed, only thing i can think of is these were made on slower machines since xwing was in 93, and tie fighter's was made in 94

Archived