Home

Do you think there is going to be more official updates for clone campaigns this year

joesdomain

I already download the patch for galactic battlegrounds and clone campaigns. What type of things do video game companies usually add to patches? Do they actually add new units or characters? I hope they do. They aren't any plans for a sequel or expansion pack and i am impatient. I assume if they have one it won't be released until Nov.-Dec. 2004.:fett::jawa

Guest DarthMaulUK

Lucasarts are still checking on the community to see if the game requires another patch. I don't think we will get another one to be honest as there really isn't much that needs addressing.

Such things as the Jedi shrinking when picking up Holocrons etc isn't a major game play flaw.

I also think it is safe to say there won't be a second expansion pack for this game. It has sold well and I think given Lucasarts ideas for future Star Wars RTS games.

When games companies release patches, it varies from each company.

DMUK

I read in my new copy of EGM that even bad games are a good investment for dev houses. Granted, since it was EGM, they were talking about console games like E.T. and Superman 64 and Mortal Kombat Advance and Total Recall, but I imagine it applies to PC games as well.

Even when crappy games are made, they generally only need to have modest success at $50 a shot to be a money-making venture. So even if the company has a bad game on their hands, they release it rather than lose the money, and by the time the rest of us find out how bad it is, they already have their money.

So the fact that this has sold pretty well (ALL SW games sell pretty well), means LucasArts probly feels they already have all the money they need from SWGB. If they do another RTS, I imagine it will be substantially different from this one, and not an expansion or direct sequel.

They has been positive feedback from this game. Dark Forces had a sequel followed by expansion pack. eg. Dark Forces, Jedi Knight:Dark Forces II, then expansion Mysterious of the Sith.

Why wouldn't they had an expansion or update since the game is not complete. It is not even close to having all the units from all 5 movies in it. That is sad. I will be deeply disappointed if the lucasarts company does not make an expansion pack.

• 2 weeks later...

I am still hoping that they will make stealth units translucent (transparent) when stealth is enabled. With all the chaos that can go on in some battles, the easier it is to distinguish these units the better (the little blue dot just doesn't cut it in my book).

Wouldn't hurt to make bounty hunters cost a little nova either.

Guest DarthMaulUK

Garry Gaber (the guy behind this game) has started his new project now ( i havent a clue what it is) but I do know it has nothing to do with SWGB.

With the new breed of 3D RTS hitting the shelves, it just wouldn't be worth investing alot of time and money into a second xpack for this game.

DMUK

Answering joe's original question, patches usually fix bugs and tweak the stats and effects of units/techs/civ bonuses/buildings.

Doubt there will be a new patch (despite what windu thinks the game is very wel balanced) or a new x-pack (see what DMUK said).

Also no sequel, but very good chnce that there will be a new star wars RTS coming out soon.

Too bad that the creator of the game has started another project. I was hoping for a sequel, expansion pack and/or patch for galactic battlegrounds and clone campaigns for PC. There were many units left out that I believe should of been in the game. Maybe they will eventually make a new star wars RTS game specifically for space battles between civilations? I haven't heard of any more patches for the game.

Guest DarthMaulUK
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad

DMUK, do you at least know if Garry Gaber is doing a star wars thing?

I don't, sorry. Remember that Lucasarts are cutting down on their Star Wars output to around 50%. Like with Episode I, we are seeing a glut of console releases ( The Clone Wars, KOTOR, SW Galaxies) and a few PC releases.

Garry is a big RTS fan so if he isn't working on a SW based RTS now, I certainly hope he does work on the next project for SW RTS.

DMUK

I would like to see a Space-based SW RTS with a 3D engine. It would be nice if you could start out in space and build all types of spacecraft in the Star Wars series and then invade or assist different worlds - the ability to have true 3D space battles as well as 3D ground battles appeals to me for a new SW RTS.

Guest DarthMaulUK

oooo a space RTS like Rebellion/Supremacy. I have pestered some of the guys I speak to at Lucasarts about this one! lol

They can't believe that people still (and they do) play Rebellion! Despite some flaws, I think it is one of the best strategy games out there.

Why? Because of the element of surprise. When you spy on each other, your enemy doesnt know what information you have on him and vice verser. Great game let down by a messy interface.

I would love to see a Rebellion 2....Garry? :-)

DMUK

Well, i haven't played Rebellion, so i wouldn't know, but the idea appeals to me - most of the space type strategy games that i have played have failed to impress - i think as the engine and graphics technology improves then this will change...

i will check Rebellion out though...

It is a shame Rebellion is not sold anymore in stores. I would of liked to give that game a try. The idea of a space based RTS strategy game with a 3-D engine sounds pretty nice. It is too bad Lucasarts hasn't made one yet. I think a cross between Rebellion and Galactic Battlegrounds would be cool.

joesdomain: perhaps you could e-mail LA and ask them where you can get a copy of Rebellion...

I really like your idea about a cross between Rebellion & Battlegrounds, that would be cool - in fact - that's what i was expecting when i bought the game - except the thought back then was a cross between AoE and Rebellion...

:jawa

See this is probably my biggest fear here! I understand what you guys are talking about when you say they've pretty much gotten everything out of this SWGB run as they can and are probably calling it quits! I wouldnt mind at all to see another x-pack for this game but i too doubt its going to happen. What worries me is that they might not even come back to this Star Wars RTS thing for a while and that bothers me. What worse is if they do they are gonna make it a 3d rts. Now i like 3d rts games like the next guy but the thing is that 3d rts games are just eye candy and not strategy. For one, most of em are only gonna be able to handle around 80 units per side... 80 units! That's not a war that's a skirmish...a firefight! And most like because of the numersous requirements for wireframe models i doubt they will have as many civs as SWGB did. They will probably bust it all the way back down to Rebels and Imps with maybe some units from the other civs. Like the Rebels would probably be able to enlist the aid of a Wookie warrior...how gay would that be! And i am almost certian that if this is a 3d rts or a Star Wars RTS other than Battlegrounds that they will nerf naval units. The thing about SWGB that i like the most is that it gives you a total war representation. Air, ground, navy, anti-air and such. So basically what im saying is that if the next star wars game is anything but a worthy successor to battlegrounds its gonna simply be eye candy for quick bucks. It will be titled Star Wars Galactic Skirmishes: Rebels vs. Empire! All new in 3d with a staggering army of 70 units pers side with units representative of the Star Wars saga such as the gungan warrior, and the destoryer droid......boring!

Guest DarthMaulUK

try and pick up a copy of Rebellion from Ebay. the LA shop still has it on sale.

When rebellion was first mentioned, it was supposed to have space and ground battles...the ground battle thing was turned into Force Crapmander.

Rebellions biggest falling would be the time it took to complete a game. The manual doesnt cover much about the game and what things you could do in it. I love it and am pretty good at rebellion...so if anyone wants a game one day... zone me

DMUK

Archived