Home

Why not...

Primesghost

I know you've been getting a lot of suggestions and might have heard this one already, but here goes:

Break the maps into smaller maps. I know this would create a lot of extra work, but it may allow your mod to see the light of day. Create overlapping sections of the maps, when the players get to a certain point (checkpoint maybe) the new map loads.

Checkpoints are added in the .map files, not in the code. Meaning that when a player crosses a checkpoint, the new map will load. It isn't a problem reworking that, but the real problem lies in adding the checkpoints in the .bsp, since we do not have the .map file.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Now I'm stumped. You might try rewriting the .def file for mapping to allow mappers to place a "checkpoint" entity. Sort of the way you add a respawn.

Wait a minute. Are you remaking the maps or just converting them somehow?

If you're remaking them, then you shouldn't have a problem with it.

It's not possible to edit the SP maps. Converting them to a form usable in coop isn't possible without the original .map files, due to the fact that in order for the game to be able to read a map the .map file has to be compiled into a special format which cannot be read by the level editor. Since Raven hasn't released the .map files there's no way to convert existing maps.

Rebuilding them from scratch is possible, but would require such a massive amount of effort in order to get each detail right that the coop mod wouldn't be able to be released for several years.

Archived