Home

han solo question ?

rut-wa jodar

That pisses me off. Just because Lucas didn't write it it's not true? Hell I'm glad someone did expand on the sw universe. Because Lucas may have created Star Wars but the fans own it. And eu is just as important as the movies. At every book release I feel like a new movie is out. :) So all you critics out there. I suggest you read the Timothy Zahn novels. And if that doesn't change your mind then you're just a freak lol. Anyway, I think you may be right. Though I'm not sure because my area of intrest is after ROTJ not before. Anyway that's my stance on eu. I'm just glad I could finally say it lol. :)

I think many people are annoyed that the post-ROTJ is a lot of super-weapons, super-jedi that make Luke, Yoda et al seem like padawans in the force. I mean some of the things are just trying to outdo each other, rather make any real sense, and they contradict the original movies as well.

yes, he went to the academy when he was young, there, he was told to kill a wookie, named chewbacca, he didn't, and deserted, he travelled aroud the galaxy, and the wookie chewbacca followed him everywere, becouse he had a livedebt, at last they decided to work togeter

i hope this explain a bit

i have the official star wars fact file, i'll look it up:

here: "a young officer risked his live so save chewie from the camp, where he would have certainly died"

and: "there was a quick end off his carier becouse he didn't followed the orders of his superiour, Nyklas, he orderd Han Solo to kill a wookie and skin him afterwards. the wookie that he saved was Chewbacca"

so, trie to beat that, my sources are as pure as possible.

Han was a member of the Imperial Acadamy. He rescued Chewie from an Imperial officer, who ordered Han to kill him. Chewie then gave Han a life debt. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Now regarding EU.

You are incorrect, whoever stated that most people think it's poodoo. The EU is generally well liked. It's sanctioned and approved by Lucas and Lucasbooks/Lucasarts and Lucasfilm. That's a lotta Lucas. While it is true that some of the early EU has since been discarded (The main brunt of it being Owen Lars as Obi Wan's brother and Boba Fett's history), there is still a lot of it that fits into the Star Wars timeline.

However there is one general rule. In terms of canon (ie what take more importance in the event of a conflict), the movies prevail. If the EU says something, and the movie contradicts it, the movie is correct. No matter what.

If you look at it this way. Palpatine was never mentioned in the original Star Wars, nor was the Sith, yet both appeared in the EU novel, albeit indirectly, Splinter of the Minds Eye. Does this mean Palpatine is EU? From a certain point of view, yes.

All that matters in context of the timeline continuity is the movies. Anything else that interferes with that is secondary. The NJO for example is all good as it takes place 20 years after RotJ so there's not much conflict. The EU has no bearing of any further movies though.

:slsaber:

I have read Tim Zahn's trillogy and duology. And while when I first read the Thrawn Trillo, I thought it was a Godsend, I have since seen it for the worthless POS it is. Zahn is a sci-fi author, and he started SW off on the wrong foot. Sure, the Thrawn Trillo might be fairly well-written, but it set a precident... Star Wars literature is sci-fi, not science-fantasy, not epic myth. And because it is sci-fi, it cannot capture the same feeling of Lucas' vision. The authors hate the Force... first you have ysalamiri (C'baoth's right, no such creature could ever exist)... then every time a Jedi gets a little headache, he is unable to use the Force... then (thank you again, Zahn), Luke has this revelation that if you use the Force to its full extent, then you'll go to the Dark Side! Then come the Yuzzuh Vong, creatures from another galaxy (by the Force, the SW galaxy is already enormous, do you really have to go outside of it to find a "good" villian?) in which the Force (as I understand it) doesn't exist. Right...

Star Wars writers are hacks... oh, but they can't help it, many of them... they have to build their houses on the sand that's washed up by virtue of the brain-farts of other authors before them. They have to take into account the Ysalamiri, the Jedi Academy (WTG, Luke... what a great place to send impressionable Force-users--a temple possessed by a Dark Lord of the Sith's spirit!), five hundred Emperor clones, the Suncrusher, the World Devastator, the Darksaber and insane Clones...

Some of the EU is okay... I actually like Splinter of the Mind's Eye... but, being the first author licensed to write a SW novel, Foster didn't have to take any of the above atrocities into account and was actually able to write a darn good book (Zahn has no excuse). The EU novels have no influence over the movies... however, I have heard that Lucas reads the comics and it's obvious that he has thrown in elements of the comics into the movie (double-bladed lightsabers, holocrons--shot but cut)--and Aayla Secura). Yes, some council at Lucasfilm keeps the EU authors "in line"... but can that person read Lucas' mind? Is he a Jedi? No, of course not (at least, I don't think so), so what you get is a flawed chain of command that has Lucas outside of the circle (so far, Lucas' input into the NJO has been "kill off Anakin Solo").

DIE, SOLO SUPER BABIES!

Alright, here's my official stance: The authors are hacks. Star Wars lit is suffering from the same trauma that has the Batman movie franchise on its deathbed: too many guest stars, not enough attention to the story. If a Star Wars novel is good, then it will be made into a comic. There are too many good books out in the world to waste my time on SW lit.

Furthermore! The Sith, at least, have been a part of the SW scripts virtually since the beginning. They are called the Dark Knights of the Sith in the second draft of Star Wars... they are not EU, they were thought up by Lucas before they were used in any of the books.

Star Wars is Lucas' story, it is not our's... it's not the authors'... Lucas let them play in his sandbox and they knocked over all of his sandcastles! Star Wars is Lucas' brainchild, and only he can do it right.

I suggest anyone who likes the EU novels should read this: EU-pisode II: The Exploited Universe.

Thank you:

Jedi_Monk.jpg

you can't discount something to be real or official just because you don't like it. I don't like episode one. I thought it was almost as bad as the spiderman movie. But I'm not saying that it isn't part of the timeline. I think that maybe you should accept the timeline. The stories are great. And they have to do different things to keep it exciting. If Luke, Leia, han etc. weren't challenged then where would they go? No where. The Star Wars saga would just die out. But through eu it can live forever and still be fresh and new. Though things may be different or even at times kind of stupid it keeps the universe fresh with a seemingly infinite supply of stories to tell. There, both of our meaningless views have been stated. Lol

Originally posted by Darth Clem

<ignores comments about EU>

read the han solo trilogy to find his past

cant remember the names right now

I thoroughly enjoyed the Han solo Trilogy. Go read it if you want a lot of cool Han background things. :) The books names are:

The Paradise Snare

The Hutt Gambit

Rebel Dawn

Enjoy!

Originally posted by jessman233

you can't discount something to be real or official just because you don't like it. I don't like episode one. I thought it was almost as bad as the spiderman movie. But I'm not saying that it isn't part of the timeline. I think that maybe you should accept the timeline. The stories are great. And they have to do different things to keep it exciting. If Luke, Leia, han etc. weren't challenged then where would they go? No where. The Star Wars saga would just die out. But through eu it can live forever and still be fresh and new. Though things may be different or even at times kind of stupid it keeps the universe fresh with a seemingly infinite supply of stories to tell. There, both of our meaningless views have been stated. Lol

There has been none of this mentioned in thise thread, but what is a bug bear to some is the canon issue. I'd prefer in the main to stick to the movies, and their novels, and maybe a few set around the 6 movies timeline, so that the facts can't be confused, or try to outdo the Death Star or Death Star 2, in an X-Wing size fighter......

One thing that was not mentioned is that some movie novelizations can suck too. For example the novelization for The Phantom Menace by Terry Brookes was pretty good, and at times even better than the movie. However Attack of the Clones by R.A. Salvatore was awful.

The difference between the two authors is that Salvatore has written EU books in the past. Some of the EU authors fail to capture the look and feel of the Star Wars Universe and ruin the pace set forward by Goerge Lucas. He created that universe so he should know what it feels like to live in it.

The worst Example of EU is the Rouge Squadron X-Wing books. All the characters have fan-fictional backgrounds and soap opera style conflicts. Nobody in the squadron is your joe average pilot, it's so off the wall it's almost silly. Avoid it all costs.

Archived