Home

Wheel Of Time

ckcsaber

This is from the first book in the series.

Strangers have come to the Two Rivers during the Bel Tine holiday, and Rand al'Thor, Mat Cauthon and Perrin Aybara are all happy to live in peace with their families. With the mysterious travelers come strange stories of war and of a man named Logain, who claims to be the Dragon Reborn, the one prophesized to save the world, and also to destroy it in his madness. For it is known that no man can channel the One Power without going horribly insane.

On the night before Bel Tine, Trollocs come and ransack the village where the young men live. Together with the mysterious Moiraine and Lan, an even stranger man, the young men escape with a few other companions into the night and make their way toward Tar Valon. There they discover that they all have roles to play, and that evil seeks them out. They learn that this evil will search anywhere for them: even at the Eye of the World.

I have. I have read the whole series through book nine "A winters heart" three times. Book ten is due out in november,

Awesome series, the heron marked power wrought swords are as awesome as any lightsaber. :-)

Alas, trying to explain this series in a post is not doable. The best way to associate it with something is it is like "Visiting old friends."

Awesome series, already a classic.

Yeah, I've read it, the whole series 3 times in fact, I kinda got hooked.

A few tidbits for all you hardcore fans out there.

Book Ten: Crossroads of Twilight was intended to be released in November, but due to Robert Jordan's wanting to perfect it (I can understand this), it's been moved to January.

Another interesting bit is that he plans 12 books in the series. That means 3 more to go including Crossroads.

Also, you can purchase the Prologue from all over the place as well, it's been released as an e-Book.

And finally, best source of info IMHO is Dragonmount Check it out.

Oh, and the host of this page is currently developing a short animated movie, 6 - 7 minutes long, with RJ's approval, based on the prologue to Book 1: The Eye of the World.

Hope that tickles some interest.

I've read the whole series... not crazy enough to reread them all over again, but I have read Eye of the World two or three times, same for The Great Hunt. The last three books have been sub-par... it does seem sometimes like he's just procrastinating, holding off the ending so he can make more money. Hopefully something will actually happen in Crossroads of Twilight.

In fact, here's the perfect summary of Winter's Heart from http://www.rinkworks.com :

Perrin

I was going to rescue my wife, but that will have to wait for the next book.

Mat

I was going to escape with my friends, but that will have to wait for the next book.

Egwene

I was going to attack Tar Valon, but that will have to wait for the next book.

THE END

BTW, there's also a Wheel of Time game for PC. It's my favorite computer game of all time. I don't know if they're still making it anymore, unfortunately, and due to bad advertisement (i.e. virtually NONE), there won't be a sequel. But try to find a copy and play it, you won't be disappointed!

Jedi_Monk.jpg

Yeah, unfortunately that was pretty much how the book went.

That's not to say his writting in the book was no good, he just seems to get too caught up in his own sub-plots and never moves on with the main ones.

Lets just hope that Crossroads will bring him back to par. *Crosses fingers*

That is a superbly awesome book, and ignoring Jedi Monk is a good idea, some people have poor attention spans, and have to have every page crammed with pure entertainment. They lack a basic understanding of building up suspense and creating and tying off subtle storylines. They are harder reading, but really, if you bother to read into what they are building towards, you should by simmering with anticipation for the finale.

Anyway, I am also awaiting his next books, which should be interesting, from what I understand, he wants to work with a more mature perspective, which should make for a good read.

Selaris, I'm a huge Wheel of Time fan. I love the first six books, especially Eye of the World. I'm just saying the last three have been sub-par... the pacing has been bad, even the sub-plots are not being explored... something happened in Winter's Heart that we've all been waiting for since we found out Rand was the Dragon Reborn, but it was written in such a way as to make it really ambiguous and even boring.

Furthermore, my favorite books include Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, Wuthering Heights, Sense and Sensibility, 1984 and Animal Farm... these books aren't exactly jam-packed with explosions and gunfights.

Jedi_Monk.jpg

Originally posted by Jedi_Monk

Selaris, I'm a huge Wheel of Time fan. I love the first six books, especially Eye of the World. I'm just saying the last three have been sub-par... the pacing has been bad, even the sub-plots are not being explored... something happened in Winter's Heart that we've all been waiting for since we found out Rand was the Dragon Reborn, but it was written in such a way as to make it really ambiguous and even boring.

Furthermore, my favorite books include Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, Wuthering Heights, Sense and Sensibility, 1984 and Animal Farm... these books aren't exactly jam-packed with explosions and gunfights.

Jedi_Monk.jpg

I don't recall ever saying anything about explosions or gunfights...I believe my exact words were pure entertainment, which I would contend that the novels you listed are filled with, since none is as long as the series of books we are talking about. Try re-reading what I said, and then arguing here. I'm sorry that you don't like the pacing of the storyline, but, as I will again point out-in different words-sometimes it has to be slow.

Excuse me, but I thought these kinds of books were supposed to be entertaining :rolleyes:

Note: I do find the WoT series as a whole entertaining, and I can suffer through the lulls. I am looking forward to Crossroads of Twilight, I just hope that it'll be of higher quality than the last three. I just bought the Wheel of Time soundtrack at Barnes & Noble tonight, listened to some of it in the car--it's excellent! Every WoT fan should have it in their collection!

Jedi_Monk.jpg

Originally posted by Jedi_Monk

BTW, there's also a Wheel of Time game for PC. It's my favorite computer game of all time. I don't know if they're still making it anymore, unfortunately, and due to bad advertisement (i.e. virtually NONE), there won't be a sequel. But try to find a copy and play it, you won't be disappointed!

Just curious, but did you ever join a WoT Clan for the game or play online extensively?

It's a very small community over there and I was just wondering if I've ever seen ya.

It's a very small community over there and I was just wondering if I've ever seen ya.

I used to be on the WoT messageboards at http://www.wheeloftime.com mostly the book forum, but I did slip over to the game forum every so often. I haven't posted there since I got into an argument about how good SW2 was and I was flamed. I've never been in a clan, though. My username on the WoT boards is Young_Grim.

Jedi_Monk.jpg

Archived