Home

Your thoughts on running/instant lunge

C'jais

What's your thought on this move?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's a guide:

Well, seeing as this move is getting more and more known each day, I might as well explain how to do it. When running forwards, click crouch and attack at *exactly* the same time - you'll do a lunge (uppercut) without crouching, and it'd look as if you're doing it with no delay (and there isn't any delay really).

If the above is too hard to do, try holding down the walk key, while pressing crouch + attack.

The move allows you to execute the dreaded 60 dam lunge with no delay or warning *whatsoever*. Only clue that it is coming, is that your opponent is running towards you just as if he's about to kick you.

I see these running lungists each and every day, and their numbers are growing.... yadda yadda...

Bottom line: If you understand what I'm talking about - what are your opinions on this "new" move?

As for for me: This move allows the user to bypass any sort of reflex action giving time to dodge (which the "old lunge" didn't), and it is virtually unavoidable - only option is to stay the f*ck away from the lungist until he's finished with his business. It's usually me that encounters the blatant move-spammers, and I've already seen my fair share of "runnin' lungists".

When taken to excess, as some people do, this move can make a fight very unenjoyable to me...

As always, there'll be a flood of 1.02 lovers knocking at my door, saying it's silly to wish for another move to be nerfed, just because I can't cope with it. Well it's true I haven't found a way to cope with it, but if you have - please tell me how!

Well I have a sucky connection, so I dont play online...but I do play bots..lots of them....on high skill lvl...except that annican bot that keeps usin mind trick....annyoing lil shyt.....anyway...not looking any of this up...or watching anyother play..I figured the blue lunge out....aswell as one handed back stab...and mastakenly the wall run and face kick/flip.... and I must say...if your expecting a lundge and or face kick... a simple high jump w/ or w/o an exta strafe attack/spin.... or when they get close...back peddle, spin 180 and back stab...LOL or force grip.or roll.... or near a wall..run along it....should get ya past it....

for every move theres a counter...and if they flow well it looks really cool.....so dont complane learn...

Jais man,

Yeah that move is bloody annoying and way overpowered, its far too easy to do and there are few warning signs when its gionna happen. even a big red swing does less damage and that is the most obvious move to spot ever.

this game will need to end up on patch 1.99999999 to cure all the coding weakness, little foresight was exercised when they made this game. Love it as I may, its obvious it is sooo highly exploitable.

If you wanna know a way to avoid this move just sidestep all the time, circle the player at a distance and play counter attack, invariably they will go for a shot that just aint possible sooner or later and then you give them a wack with yellow stance. Counter attack and prediction is the onlyway to deal with lameness I'm afraid and hence playing counter can end up being lame in its own right. You just cant win man,

Actually the running lunge is easier to see coming than a regular one from a still position. Yeah it can be deadly, but it is still the weakest of the specials.

I don't know what it is, but people seem to not consider the blue stance as a real stance. It is just as valid as the other two & deserves a special just like the other two. It is the faster & weaker of the three stances, & thusly the lunge is the fastest & the weakest of the three specials. It is perfectly balanced in comparison with the other two specials.

By the way, you can do the specials in yellow & red while running or crouching too.

i do not see anything wrong with that, but thats just my opinion. the lunge does only 60 damage plus freezing at the end leaving lunger open to all attacks. if you nerf the lunge in anyfurther ways(remember there already have been damage reductions, freezing action that disables movement when lunging ie spinning, and the elimination of air lunge), there would be no point using it.

hmmmm,

I can do a standing Lunge without pause (with saber out or not), but I have never actually witnessed the Lunge from a dead on run . . any one who dead on runs me is out for causing damamge any way so, my reaction to any one running is one of usually three things . .

1) I back-flip lunging halfway through rotation catching them in the face . . .

2) I take a step torward them and throw my saber while kicking them, and on the rotation backwards if I am lucky I can pull off a Lunge that sets me down really quick to almost where I began . . .

But I ONLY play 1.03 so this may not work for you . . .

3) side step snapping slightly away from them and Executing a backswing with red . . if they are lungeing . . thier dead now

Originally posted by thehomicidalegg

i do not see anything wrong with that, but thats just my opinion. the lunge does only 60 damage plus freezing at the end leaving lunger open to all attacks. if you nerf the lunge in anyfurther ways(remember there already have been damage reductions, freezing action that disables movement when lunging ie spinning, and the elimination of air lunge), there would be no point using it.

Well, 60 damage is a lot I think for starters.

The trick about the running lunge is that it doesn't have those 4 milliseconds of "crouch-period" that allows you to maneuver to the side, and strike him in the back when he unleashes the lunge. It just comes straight at ya.

I don't think appreciate the usefulness of lunge a lot - it's the fastest special by far, and it gives way more damage than regular swing, coupled with the fact that it's unblockable and you have one hell of a good move. Fast+Excellent damage+No block = good move. 'Nuff said.

Originally posted by leXX

The instant lunge doesn't bother me as long as it isn't spammed! I never stick around players that spam anyway.

I'll second that - I leave as soon as I encounter a spammer in any way. No point in playing with(against?) players you don't like.

I feel like swearing right now. I posted this post, but haftway through processing, my screen froze :mad: ($#)@$@%@#*%)#$@*@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Anyway......

What wrong with you people? Always complaining! First Drain in 1.02, then the backstab in 1.03, and now kicks and lunges in 1.04 :rolleyes:

1. Lunges only does 60 damge. That means it takes three hits to kill you (4-5 if you are sheilded). Three hits! If you get hit, DON'T STAND THERE TO GET HIT AGAIN!!!! If you are stupid enough to stand there waiting to get hit a second time, then you deserve to die!

2. The lunge moves the saber in an uppercut swing. There is an extremly small change of it directly hitting if you actualy move when you are playng! Its called move when playing: It might serve you well my young padawan....

3. Anything can be "easy to do". Making a cake on a raft in the middle of a hail strom can be "easy to do". Creating a graphics card by hand out of sand and twizers can be "easy to do". Biking up a 85 degree cliff can be "easy to do". Typing a 50 page essay in 10 minutes can be "easy to do". Once you know how. Before you know how, it can be reallly hard, but once you learn how: It can be easy as hell. I use to think that the DFA was impossible to do. Now, it is hella easy to do.

Originally posted by CodeMA

Well I have a sucky connection, so I dont play online...but I do play bots..lots of them....on high skill lvl...except that annican bot that keeps usin mind trick....annyoing lil shyt.....anyway...not looking any of this up...or watching anyother play..I figured the blue lunge out....aswell as one handed back stab...and mastakenly the wall run and face kick/flip.... and I must say...if your expecting a lundge and or face kick... a simple high jump w/ or w/o an exta strafe attack/spin.... or when they get close...back peddle, spin 180 and back stab...LOL or force grip.or roll.... or near a wall..run along it....should get ya past it....

for every move theres a counter...and if they flow well it looks really cool.....so dont complane learn...

Hm... are you using 1.02?

Hmmm.... I don't really think you should be posting "Tips" on playing JK2 if you have never even played online! :p Even the best BOT can't match up to the skill of a mindless newbie. When you play with actual humans, they are less predictable and do things that you would never think any sane person (or BOt) would do....

I was playing a FFA server (only 4 people :) cause too many people slow the game down for me) that my friend put up. This guy joined and did the most abusurd things. Like jumping accross large pits that you can not possible jump over then pulling me over the ledge at the last minute, killing both of us :rolleyes: . And DFAing from a high ledge when I was on a ledge below it, he miss of course, but my point is: Bots don't match up to humans. Humans have much more creative tatics, even if some of them fail.:)

you want a counter to lunges? how about strafing left and right? i'm one of the guys that is awesome with lunge (i.e. i can pull it off 99% of the time running, walking, standing, or RIGHT after jumping) but at the same time i was in a duel the other day and a guy beat my ass continuously using nothing but regular light attacks and his common sense. a person that is smart and knows to strafe and then sideswing will always win. personally i'm still trying to get his maneuver down but if you learn how to do it lungers cant touch you so plz stop complaining before they make another patch and completely ruin this game that used to be fun.

c'mon that easy just move backward,dam wait u got slower if u walk backward in 1.4 arg,sorry i just started playing 1.4 anyway well u can always kick em when they runing straight at you but make it unpredictable or just do a well timed Yellow DFA,hey to think of it the Yellow DFA is the best move to counter quick lunger bah to think of it there thousand of way to counter those quick lunger grip+kick speed+kick pull+kick oh yea the best push+kick the push make em unable to attack for a seconds

okay, many replies since last...

Teutonic: Don't flame - most of the stuff you wrote in that post is completely useless to me and most everyone else. FYI I think 1.04 is the best patch of the bunch, because there are no super moves to dominate others with. In 1.02 it was DFA, in 1.03 is was backstabs.

Aoshi: What you described is the exception that proves the rule - You rely on lunge to win and proved me right. Yet relying on supermoves to win the day is just silly IMO.

Here's the deal on the lunge and running lunge: A lunge can give upwards to 80 damage FYI. No, that isn't "a lot", but compared to the puny yellow and blue swings, it's monstrous. I suspect you play with red stance mostly since you feel 60-80 damage isn't "a lot".

Lunge is unblockable, how fun is that? You cannot strike the lungist from the front, or the sides - how fun is that? You can only strike him from behind, and even then there's a huge chance that he somehow parries the swing with his back for some reason. Not cool. Now, with a regular lunge, it isn't so hard getting behind the lungist because he has to pause for a slight period of time before he lunges - but a running lungist does not.

Therefore, the only option when facing such a spammer, is to run around in circles till he stops spamming and then hope he doesn't start again.

Originally posted by Dark_ZONE

Well, I will tell my views on 1.04 if you can tell me one thing . .

What is the break down for special moves on this patch?

Example . . Red backsweep does X amount of damage

Yellow backsweep does X amonut of damage . . etc

I can't tell you exactly, but they're definately lower than 1.03 as they should be.

They're still dangerous though, and both the yellow and red backsweep I believe can cause up to 60 damage - and considering they both hit automatically, it's a pretty good deal.

I'm unsure if you're implying that since backstab got "nerfed" in 1.04, it's a bad patch per se.

Well, for all of the moves, the one I *least* want to be insanely destructive is the one where you have to face your butt to the enemy :D

And let's face it guys: Backstab *was* grotesquely unbalanced in 1.03, the devs even said so themselves. No move should ever be so powerful, in comparison to the rest.

Last time it was throw....not its the lunge. WTF? Do you want no one to use any "special" attack?

No move is unblockable. Use your brain! If you see someone running towards you STRAFE out of the way, or push them, or grip the, or jump over them, or filp backwards. The combinations of moves that you can do to get out of this are near endless. Your creativity as a player is your only limitation.

If I am running at someone and they do not move and keep right at me one of a few things will happen.

1) I will kick them

2) I will lunge them

3) I will use the yellow (medium) finisher on them

4) I will use a forcepower

5) I will use throw

6)etc etc etc

I could go on all day. The point is when you make an attack hit from the sides or the rear. You never TRY to hit an opponent in the area that their wepon is facing. Why do you think that in the military they teach us to attack from the side and rear? It so we do not DIE! Same applies here.

I think that 1.04 was an ok patch, but it has major flaws. The damage is far too low and too many moves were nerfed. Now you run around with something that is supposed to cut through a 3' steel door (phantom menace) but now cannot kill someone with a red (heavy) overhead chop, and you can block without a saber from the rear. WTF is that about?

I think you just need to comes to tearms with the fact tht people will overuse the specials. Why you ask, because they are there. It is the only way of getting a quick kill in an ffa match. And that is what ffa is all about. It would be like saying, "Please do not use that rocket launcher, its lame!" in a game of Quake 3. Sure the rocket launcher is an overpowered weapon....BUT....thats the way it is supposed to be! The same is true of all of the specials in JK2.

If you want to be a “movie” Jedi then go to a duel server where people feel the same as you, or change your tactics to match your opponents…..like lunging them first. You need to disregard this insane notion of chivalry that you have in the game. War is war and a fight is a fight…I would rather be on the winning end. I have gotten my ass kicked before and I have won lots of fights too….the latter is always better.

Take this not as a flame but as some friendly advice. This type of mentality is what causes things to be nerfed and games to become unpopular. Learn to cope and adapt that is the way of the online game and the world.

If you want to come and practice some moves an have a free target just come to Crazy Yoda and ask for Darth Maximus. I will be glad to die in order for u to improve your game.

Man i said those move damit rofl u guys dont listen to me

but anyway you guys complain too much about evry freakin move sheesh learn to play the dam patch corectly and stop geting here and start complaining ,oh wait i did complain about 1.4 but i think i prooven a good point anyway!

i believe the Yellow DFA is the best move to take out quick lunger(in 1.3 it always the backstab)

Originally posted by cjais

okay, many replies since last...

Here's the deal on the lunge and running lunge: A lunge can give upwards to 80 damage FYI. No, that isn't "a lot", but compared to the puny yellow and blue swings, it's monstrous. I suspect you play with red stance mostly since you feel 60-80 damage isn't "a lot".

You just proved the point I made earlier. You are stupidly comparing the lunge with the normal blue & yellow swings. This is retarded! The lunge is NOT a normal swing & should NEVER be compared to any of the normal swings! IT IS THE SPECIAL FOR THE BLUE STANCE!

Let me remind you of some basics of this game:

1. You have 3 stances: blue/fast, yellow/medium, & red/strong.

2. Each stance has one forward attack special move & one rear attack special move that require either a 2 or 3 keypress combo minimum to execute.

3. Each of the forward special moves does quite considerably more damage than any of the normal swings in each respective stance, which is why they are called specials.

Now that you've been reminded of some of these basics, let's make the comparison as you should have done, with the other forward specials!

red/strong special -- The most deadly & slowest of the 3 specials, often resulting in one hit kills on an opponant with full HP.

yellow/medium special -- The 2nd deadliest & 2nd slowest of the 3 specials, of which at least 2 minimum are required to kill an opponant with full HP.

blue/fast special -- the weakest yet fastest of the 3 specials, often requiring a minimum of 4 or more to kill an opponant with full HP.

All the forward specials are very well representative of their particular stance in comparison to the other specials.

So if you still insist that the lunge is somehow mismatched or unfair compared to the other specials, why don't you just play a mod where all the specials have the damage of the normal swings for each stance, or develop a mod where there are no specials at all!

But don't knock the lunge while you sit there thinking the red & yellow specials are just fine! The lunge is a valid special from a valid stance & deserves it's place in this game just like the rest.

The funniest thing about the blue lunge as I see it, is it's the only special that can be truly abused with scripts. I see people on servers all the time who can barely pull a DFA, and get their asses beat in every duel, but miraculously are PERFECT at running and using the lunge attack without fail or **** up.

generally, I agree with Sith Maximus however.....it's not hard to counter the blue lunge....and it does have a wait peroid after it where an alert dueler can stomp them with a counter lunge.

Anyone who spams moves invariably makes themselves predictable. and predictable = dead.

Archived