Home

Best books?

Zedar

(Sorry if there already is a thread like this)

What is/are the best book/books u have ever read?

I like LotR but maybe the best is the Belgariad by David Eddings

It's got action, a good story and...well...it's just interesting

I'm gonna read Dark lords of the sith

Is it good?

All of them! ;)

Well, close, I'm a big fan of literature in general.

See the Wheel of Time post a bit lower down to see that I love that series to piece's.

Of course you can't look past the classics like Shakespeare, and yes I know they were plays, but they were still good literature, and Tolkien.

Albert Camus is good if you like philosophy and concepts such as existentialism.

Sci Fi fans will love Ender's Game, by Orson Scoot Card (and who of us here aren't Sci Fi fans? ;) ).

I could go on forever, except that I haven't read everything, but I am trying. :p

"Read more books and watch less TV"

-- Some random e-mail I got entitled 'Instructions for Life'

So far I'm really enjoying the "Dune" series by Frank Herbert (the original six books, not the new ones by his son and KJA, which I haven't touched yet). Especially nice if you want to see where Lucas and all the SW EU authors got their ideas from!

Le Morte D'Arthur by Sir Thomas Malory is a good classic as well.

1984 (better than Animal Farm IMHO) by George Orwell.

A Canticle for Leibowitz is another good Sci Fi book if you can get your hands on it (probably out of print now).

The Chronicles of Narnia are a good fast read too. ; )

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison... (not the one you're thinking of, but a great book nonetheless)

I enjoyed the "Lost Regiment" series by William Forstchen, but they might not be for everybody (think American Civil War meets the Klingons or something).

And if you're into horror, may I recommend:

Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)

Dracula (Bram Stoker)

anything by Edgar Allen Poe (though some of his short stories are kind of boring, they're all delightfully macabre)

For some reason I thought as I was posting that he was looking for recommendations. I've read everything of Poe(my personal favorite), King, and Koontz. I've read McCaffery's Dragonriders of Pern series which is an awesome sci-fi fantasy series. I highly recommend it. I've read LOTR, I haven't read the Hobbit yet but I'll get to it. Chrichton is also good, I've only read Sphere after I saw the movie though. I've read most of Isaac Asimov and Robert McCammon (very underrated writer) I've read Shakepeare only because I had to in school. He's overrated if you ask me. I'm getting into Agatha Christie now. She writes good mysteries, detective stories. Although they tend to defy reality. lol. I like books. Books fun. Books interesting. It's a way to escape from reality for a while.

For all you fantasy fans like myself, I highly recommend:

The Dragonlance Chonicles: Dragon's of Autumn Twilight, Dragon's of Winter Night, and Dragon's of Spring Dawning. All awesome books.

There was also a lot of other series written for Dragonlance. Most of them by Margret Weis and Tracey Hickman.

Tad Williams: Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series. I've read two of the four and they're cool.

For all you wanting to support the brilliant Aussie fantasy writters we've got, try Traci Harding, she starts her series with The Ancient Future.

Also Sara Douglas, who did the Axis Trilogy, but has since written two more series of 3 books. I've only read the first series.

I thought I'd limit my recommendations to fanstasy this time round. ;)

another great book for me was se7en,

it was the first time i read a book before seeing the movie and i'm glad i did because it was as good on paper as it was on screen.

also i recommend star wars cloak of deception, the best star wars book imho, i don't think you have to be a fan of eu to enjoy that one. leading up to the events of ep I, it set the scene perfectly.

LoTR is just fantastic. I mean, the man created several languages just for the book. Crazy ass brilliant.

Another fantastic author is a chap called Jeff Noon. Specifically his novels "Vurt" and "Pollen". If you haven't yet read these books you should go to amazon.com or your local library/bookstore and buy them and read them straight away. Vurt is the beginning and Pollen the sequel. Lovely bits of cyber-punkish fiction.

They're about this thing called Vurt which is like a programmed, shared dream in the shapoe of a feather. You push the feather in your mouth and it sends you intot he dream.... well thats just the base premise of Vurt... the story actually has a lot more to it. Beautiful.

My favorite books are:

Fahrenhiet 451 by Ray Bradbury (short and sweet, great message--only through knowledge can we ever be truly free; censorship is evil. I think I identify with Clarisse the most of any literary character I've read, except, of course, that she's a girl and I'm a guy--though I'd love to date her ;) ).

It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis (written before WW2, it is concerned with telling how a democracy--in this case America--can become a fascist dictatorship. It's out of print now :eyeraise: I recommend anyone read it who can get their hands on a copy).

The Robe by Lloyd C. Douglas (this is the story of the Roman Soldier who won Jesus' robe in the game of lots. He's driven insane by putting an innocent man to death, and is later healed through the robe. He then goes on a journey across the holy land trying to discover just who this Jesus was. Very good book).

And rounding out my top five are Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre, by Emily and Charlotte Bronte respectively.

Jedi_Monk.jpg

Yeah I've read Silmarillion and the Hobbit too

And I've read the 4 Harry Potters and I think they're pretty good (still not even close to the Belgariad or LotR)

My friend has been telling me about Dragonlance and he says it's the best

I also like Douglas Adams' book serie about our galaxy (dunno the name in English)

It's hilarious:D

Originally posted by Absurd

Did anyone read 'Choose Your Own Adventure' or 'Which Way?' books as a kid?

http://www.gamebooks.org/cyoalist.htm

http://www.gamebooks.org/wwlist.htm

I had two of them:

"Indianna Jones and the lost Island", and "Terror in the haunted museum".

I'm not sure on the accuracy of those titles but they were BIG fun reading those as a child!

Archived