Home

How to make a jk2 movie

TK_Nutritious

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, that comes mainly with trial and error. The wait command isn't always an exact amount of time either, but from a few tests you can figure it out for yourself.

First open up /cg_drawtimer 1 to give yourself an internal game clock to measure by. Then get a demo that's long enough to test on and set it as the demo to play in the script (we'll call the demo 'test'). set timescale to 100 and wait to 100 and then play the demo. Watch the timer on the top right of the demo when it stops fast forwarding to see how much time 100 waits represented. You can try it with say 200 waits to see if you get the same ratio.

Ok so here's the more visual way to see it:

1. /cg_drawtimer 1

2. name demo: test

3. turn on cheats (/devmap ffa_yavin then return back to main menu)

4. run script and watch timer at end

Script would look like this:

demo test;timescale 100;wait 100;timescale 1

to figure out how many waits per minute you can take the ending timer and convert it into a real minute number. Say at timescale 100, 100 waits got us to time 3:24. That's 3.4 minutes (took 3 minutes + (24/60) = 3.4). So do k = waits/minutes (where k is the constant for waits/minute). So in this case k = 100/3.4. So our constant is 29.41 waits/minute. Now you can take this and figure out how many waits you need for any time in your demos.

For example, you want to get to time 14:30 in the demo. Convert it to 14.5 minutes. Then do 29.41 = waits/14.5; w = 426 waits. At timescale 100, 426 waits will get us to the time 14:30 in the demo.

Thing is it can take a long time for 426 waits to happen so there's a really easy way to make it faster. Since timescale and amount of waits is proportional you can double one and half the other and get to the same instant in the demo.

To get to the point 14:30 faster. Double the timescale to 200 and half the amount of waits to 218. If you want it even faster you can do timescale 400 waits 109 etc.

Welp, that's about the end of my thread-turned algebra class. Class dismissed ;).

there are ways to get outside the eyes of a player, however, I don't know of any way to freely control the camera as if it was a spectator. The closest you could do is use several 3rd person camera commands that will let you move the camera in different positions around the player who recorded the demo.

First turn on cheats (/devmap ffa_yavin)

Then, while in the game, find the camera position you want:

/cg_thirdperson 1 (puts camera outside of player)

/cg_thirdpersonangle ### (puts camera a certain angle around the player, 0-360 degrees)

/cg_thirdpersonrange ### (adjusts distance camera is from player)

/cg_thirdpersonvertoffset ## (adjusts vertical angle of the camera to get an above or below angle on players)

these are the basic third person commands to use when in a duel. The drawback is that, unless you're an experienced scripter, you'd have to set the angles before running the demo and would be limited to that angle for the rest of the demo. Also the camera will always have the player who recorded the demo in the very center of the screen and will follow that players movements and direction. For additional thirdperson commands type /cg_thirdperson into the console and it will list the rest of them.

Your best bet is if you know you're gonna record a duel, have a spectator demo it from whatever angle you'd like.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by TK_Nutritious

there are ways to get outside the eyes of a player, however, I don't know of any way to freely control the camera as if it was a spectator. The closest you could do is use several 3rd person camera commands that will let you move the camera in different positions around the player who recorded the demo.

First turn on cheats (/devmap ffa_yavin)

Then, while in the game, find the camera position you want:

/cg_thirdperson 1 (puts camera outside of player)

/cg_thirdpersonangle ### (puts camera a certain angle around the player, 0-360 degrees)

/cg_thirdpersonrange ### (adjusts distance camera is from player)

/cg_thirdpersonvertoffset ## (adjusts vertical angle of the camera to get an above or below angle on players)

these are the basic third person commands to use when in a duel. The drawback is that, unless you're an experienced scripter, you'd have to set the angles before running the demo and would be limited to that angle for the rest of the demo. Also the camera will always have the player who recorded the demo in the very center of the screen and will follow that players movements and direction. For additional thirdperson commands type /cg_thirdperson into the console and it will list the rest of them.

Your best bet is if you know you're gonna record a duel, have a spectator demo it from whatever angle you'd like.

Hope this helps.

I find /cg_ThirdPersonCameraDamp # to be quite useful as well. Gives you different angles at the same time.

I'm getting a strange error when using the sync, and record commands, it occurs when I type the record command itself.

ERROR is as follows

==========================

CL_set Cgame time

!CL.Snap.valid

And then it doesnt record. However, if I restart the match and attempt to record, it works. Then once I stop and try to record again I get the error. Please help, thanks.

Originally posted by Smood

I'm getting a strange error when using the sync, and record commands, it occurs when I type the record command itself.

ERROR is as follows

CL_set Cgame time

!CL.Snap.valid

And then it doesnt record. However, if I restart the match and attempt to record, it works. Then once I stop and try to record again I get the error. Please help, thanks.

I used to get that error, but I never found out what was causing it. Are you using a recorder script? Once I started using this one I never got the error again.

This is a response I got from another forum:

I don't know what those errors mean, but in Q3A you need to do

g_synchronousclients 1; record; g_synchronousclients 0

You can leave out setting it to 0 but it's better for movement.

I know your errors don't refer to these settings specifically, but they may be the equivalent in JK2, so you could try them. Alternatively find the equivalent commands for JK2, if they are different.

You say that after it restarts it works, though, so I don't know, it could be a graphics driver problem, cause restarting can be a video restart (vid_restart).

The !CL,Snap.valid, I have 2 guesses for. It could be a screenshots problem, where "snap" refers to a screenshot. Maybe he has screenshotjpeg switched on - so it saves screenshots as jpegs instead of tgas - and that is the problem. My other guess is it could be something to do with his /snaps setting, which is to do with network conenctions. Try the default snaps setting (type /snaps and press Enter and it will tell you the default aswell as the current value, same as with any command).

judging from griff's and this reply, you might wanna take a look at the recording script you're using (assuming you are using one), to make sure it's imputting the correct commands.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived